Letter of interest pre-waitlist/acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRock19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it improper to send a letter of interest before hearing your acceptance decision to a school or should this be saved only if you are put on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Oops lol, maybe that's why I got waitlisted pre-decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places might like it.... what kind of a school is it? It's safe to say it is improper for the UCs (/most publics) and probably DO schools. I personally had a couple highly ranked privates make it pretty clear that they like it.

Is it improper to send a letter of interest before hearing your acceptance decision to a school or should this be saved only if you are put on the waitlist?

It's a waste of time most of the time, but if you can put in an update about new ECs that somehow address your weaknesses then it might work. But seriously if you haven't gotten in by now concentrate on your weaknesses and improving your application for round #2.

My advice mainly applies to pre-interview or after waitlist. I made it a hard habit to not communicate with schools between my interviews and getting my decision. It just gives them more information that could **** you over, and makes you seem desperate.