Letter of interest to in-state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few in-state schools that I haven't heard back from yet that are a few points below my LizzyM score - I was wondering if it would be a good idea to sent them an update just letting them know I'm interested and what I've been up to since June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What sorts of updates do you have?

Working as a scribe, volunteering, tutoring for the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Working as a scribe, volunteering, tutoring for the MCAT

It seems early and I wouldn't be surprised if you heard back from schools in the next few weeks so I'd wait it out a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Although your LizzyM is sig. higher than mine, I am in the same boat as you (heard back from the same state school you have, silence from others). I am getting antsy, but am going to give it another two weeks until I reach with an update

A few thoughts

1) see if the schools encourage or discourge updates via MSAR or websites
2) Are these items new and substantial enough with accomplishment (not just starting opportunities)
3) If you havent heard by Thanksgiving or perhaps a bit earlier, then consider a letter

Summary of letters
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-with-interest-pre-ii.1225181/#post-18205143
Would there be issues when a pre-interview letter of interest works against you? Or would it most of the time have no effect?

Would there be issues when a pre-interview letter of interest works against you? Or would it most of the time have no effect?

I think at worst it would have no effect. The only way, I think, it could work against you is if the schools says no updates and you send an update anyway...

And how would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???

There are a few in-state schools that I haven't heard back from yet that are a few points below my LizzyM score - I was wondering if it would be a good idea to sent them an update just letting them know I'm interested and what I've been up to since June

And how would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???
What if the applicant is 5 LizzyM points above the state schools median? Could something like this reassure a yield protection move from adcoms?

LOI writers lie.

If you want to show that you're interested in a school, send them an app. Then let the app do the talking.

What if the applicant is 5 LizzyM points above the state schools median? Could something like this reassure a yield protection move from adcoms?

Reactions: 1 user
LOI writers lie.

If you want to show that you're interested in a school, send them an app. Then let the app do the talking.
You have seen through my ruse. I still want to go to a state school, but a different one!

I know causation is not correlation but one school that sent me an II sent it after I called them to figure out if my secondary had been received successfully since the portal had some sort of issue. I wonder if that prompted them to review my app quicker and send me II quicker since it was already kind of pulled up or what ever. I guess I will never know.