letter of rec follow up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigchau

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently left a lab and asked my PI to write a letter, which he agreed to.

Its been 2 weeks since we exchanged emails, and still no letter. I know PIs are super busy and have a lot of stuff to do other than write letters for students, but just wondering: is it too soon to ask email the PI and ask when they would be able to produce a letter?

I'm just worried that with time, it would be harder to for them to produce a good letter rather than early now that they still have a fresh memory of my involvement with the lab.

Additionally, can my GPA affect how my PI writes his letter? I'm just asking because he asked for both my semester and cumulative GPA which was a little odd for me because I assumed that these letters only reflect how I worked in lab and my gpa shouldn't change how he writes.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently left a lab and asked my PI to write a letter, which he agreed to.

Its been 2 weeks since we exchanged emails, and still no letter. I know PIs are super busy and have a lot of stuff to do other than write letters for students, but just wondering: is it too soon to ask email the PI and ask when they would be able to produce a letter?

I'm just worried that with time, it would be harder to for them to produce a good letter rather than early now that they still have a fresh memory of my involvement with the lab.

Additionally, can my GPA affect how my PI writes his letter? I'm just asking because he asked for both my semester and cumulative GPA which was a little odd for me because I assumed that these letters only reflect how I worked in lab and my gpa shouldn't change how he writes.

Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't expect a letter by 2 weeks. If it has been a month, sure its okay to ask.

You GPA shouldn't effect the letter, he/she is using that just for information to add to the letter.

Honestly, if you did a good job in the lab, you will be remembered for it. I remember students and trainees long after they have come and gone, both good and bad. But in your case, if you did a good job, worked hard, your letter will reflect that, whether it be written tomorrow or 2 months from now.

Reactions: 1 user