Letter of Rec from a general..How much sway does that have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongTimeLurker1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am interested in applying to USUHS and one of the letters of recommendation that I have is from a General, I'm just curious if that has any pull or sway with the admissions committee. It's a great letter and hopefully it can offset a slightly lower GPA (3.5) and average MCAT (29).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They won't care unless it is someone that actually knows you well. If it's a "my coworkers child" type of deal then it would be worse to send that then a personal letter from a private that knows you very well. If the General is someone you truly have worked with and has written a nice letter then it will be fine. Admissions committees can see right through letters that are of the former type.

They won't care unless it is someone that actually knows you well. If it's a "my coworkers child" type of deal then it would be worse to send that then a personal letter from a private that knows you very well. If the General is someone you truly have worked with and has written a nice letter then it will be fine. Admissions committees can see right through letters that are of the former type.

I agree, but if you were the general's aid or worked very closely under his command then it can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but if you were the general's aid or worked very closely under his command then it can't hurt.

Thats pretty much exactly what he just said.

OP, your stats are competitive for USUHS. I got in with slightly lower, just make sure to apply early, have good letters, and have good reasons for why you will be a good physician and _____ officer.