Letter of Rec from professor I had for 1 semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going to office hours about once a week to ask questions with my bio 1 professor. He recognizes me and remembers my name out of the 250+ students in our class so that's a good sign. We don't talk about anything outside of the course material so he doesn't know me on a personal level. I have a B+ in the course right now and I won't be applying to medical schools until at least 1-2 years from now.

I think he's a really great professor and the only one who really remembers who I am outside of class. I guess I want to stay in touch with him and possibly try to get a letter of rec. How do I do this when I am no longer his student? He doesn't do research and he doesn't have teaching assistants.

EDIT: So I asked him today if he was willing to write me a *strong* letter of recommendation for when I apply in 2015. His response was that he suggested students ask professors that they received an A in the class (I ended up with a B in his course, no +/- grades) but went on to say that from the time he's known me, he can say I'm a very diligent student, mature and can effectively and clearly communicate and if those things can help in a letter, then he would write me one. I said yes those are helpful. Although looking back, those aren't really that great...He just wrote down some notes about me while I was fresh in his memory but said to stop by when I needed the letter.

I told him I'd keep in touch but now I'm letting my anxiety get the best of me. I figure I'll stop by at the end of the semester at least, and give him my resume, CV, and a writing sample (I haven't wrote a PS yet). Any other tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, tell your professor about your intentions and ask if they would be willing to write you a good letter. Explain that you won't need it for awhile and then stay in touch with them, at least twice a semester until you need the letter. That will give them some time to get to know you personally. Also have a CV ready to help them fill in the blanks.
That should be enough. Most schools know you don't have the time to build deep relationships with professors, but you want something more than just, "person X was in my Orgo class and got an A"

If you're taking Bio 1 then you still have plenty of time to develop rapport with other teachers. Ideally you'd want to request a letter from a teacher who knows you on a more personal level and knows your work ethic. Your CV should be a little more impressive in a year, and you'll be able to find teachers who you really get along with.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't already, tell your professor about your intentions and ask if they would be willing to write you a good letter. Explain that you won't need it for awhile and then stay in touch with them, at least twice a semester until you need the letter. That will give them some time to get to know you personally. Also have a CV ready to help them fill in the blanks.
That should be enough. Most schools know you don't have the time to build deep relationships with professors, but you want something more than just, "person X was in my Orgo class and got an A"

Thank you! Sounds like a good plan

If you're taking Bio 1 then you still have plenty of time to develop rapport with other teachers. Ideally you'd want to request a letter from a teacher who knows you on a more personal level and knows your work ethic. Your CV should be a little more impressive in a year, and you'll be able to find teachers who you really get along with.

Thanks! The thing is I'm a post bachelor's student so I'm only taking the prereqs.

So I asked him today if he was willing to write me a *strong* letter of recommendation for when I apply in 2015. His response was that he suggested students ask professors that they received an A in the class (I ended up with a B in his course, no +/- grades) but went on to say that from the time he's known me, he can say I'm a very diligent student, mature and can effectively and clearly communicate and if those things can help in a letter, then he would write me one. I said yes those are helpful. Although looking back, those aren't really that great...He just wrote down some notes about me while I was fresh in his memory but said to stop by when I needed the letter.

I told him I'd keep in touch but now I'm letting my anxiety get the best of me. I figure I'll stop by at the end of the semester at least, and give him my resume, CV, and a writing sample (I haven't wrote a PS yet). Any other tips?