letter of rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two letters of rec from anesthesiologist, but neither one i spent much OR time with.

1 of the letters is from my dept. chair who i think is writing a departmental letter, and another is from my mentor (an academic anesthesiologist) who I have done research with over the last 2 years. I was going to use a really good surgery and medicine letter to round out my 4.

My question is, should I try and get a good letter from an anesthesiologist that I spent more time in the OR with during my anesthesia Sub-I? or is the departmental letter and my mentor's letter enough to count as anesthesia letters. I really wanted to use the surgery and medicine letters because they are from "big" names that I was fortunate enough to have as my attendings on those rotations.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you're fine. I was similar to you. I used two anesthesia letters, a CCM letter, and a medicine letter. The letter your chair is writing should outline your clinical ability as well.

I dont know the answer to your question but something to consider is that I believe that you can send different letters to different programs. It might be worth having a more clinical letter or a more research oriented letter depending upon the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question about LORs as well. One of my letters will be from a very prominent person in a field I previously was interested in. It wouldve been great if I were still interested in that field because everyone knows him and he is the president of their society. Will this letter be worth nearly as much in anesthesia?

Someone gave a presentation about securing letters of recommendation, and it sounded as though the more prominent and high ranking the person is in the field, the less important the content is, but the less prominent the letter writer is, the more the content matters. Is this true?

thanks for the advice! I'll just go with it.