Letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcdb1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mid last year I took a Genetics course and went to every office hour, but I didn't really get to talk to my professor informally. I wasn't happy with my first midterm score, and I went and talked to him and did better on the second midterm. I ended up with a B in the class, but it has truly been one of my most meaningful classes.
I asked that professor for a letter of rec for a program and he gladly gave me one. He also mentioned that he would not mind giving me another one for anything else I needed (including med school). I haven't made too many connections with other science professors (I'm a rising junior, applying at the end of my junior year), so I thought it would be a good idea to ask him. How do I connect with him more so that he gets to know me better? I know that he can write about my work ethic and determination regarding his course, but I want to make sure he can say other things too. He doesn't do research, so I can't ask to join his lab. How else can I connect with him?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could ask to be his TA or SI, ask to be an unpaid informal tutor -- he probably won't take you up on it if he doesn't need a TA, but he could tell students in his current class that a former student is interested in tutoring -- that would demonstrate positive qualities. Just offering to help/TA/tutor will build cred. Also you could try to take another class with him. Also you could just go and talk to him, be up front and say that you want a med school rec, but after that is out of the way, demonstrate genuine interest in his life, ask how his work is, his family, etc. He could really appreciate it. I think most people would, and in my experience most people and professors do. Some, however, will not appreciate it - they think you are brown nosing. However if you ask for the letter first and he agrees, then any "brown nosing" will just be demonstrating your interest in him/her as a person. Consciously or subconsciously this will make this person like you more. Random tips, but I think the TA/tutor will be the best bet.

Alternatively, it is best to seek letters from teachers you can say that you excelled in your class (read: got an A). Try talking to other professors where you received an A and gauge their interest in writing you letters too.

You could ask to be his TA or SI, ask to be an unpaid informal tutor -- he probably won't take you up on it if he doesn't need a TA, but he could tell students in his current class that a former student is interested in tutoring -- that would demonstrate positive qualities. Just offering to help/TA/tutor will build cred. Also you could try to take another class with him. Also you could just go and talk to him, be up front and say that you want a med school rec, but after that is out of the way, demonstrate genuine interest in his life, ask how his work is, his family, etc. He could really appreciate it. I think most people would, and in my experience most people and professors do. Some, however, will not appreciate it - they think you are brown nosing. However if you ask for the letter first and he agrees, then any "brown nosing" will just be demonstrating your interest in him/her as a person. Consciously or subconsciously this will make this person like you more. Random tips, but I think the TA/tutor will be the best bet.

Alternatively, it is best to seek letters from teachers you can say that you excelled in your class (read: got an A). Try talking to other professors where you received an A and gauge their interest in writing you letters too.

To be an SI at my school, one has to get an A in the course. Some professors will let TAs to have gotten a B+. Other than that, great advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also set up a meeting with him to talk. I did that with one of my letter writers and it worked out well (I hope).