Letter of reccomendation help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qqdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need two LOR but I currently only have one good one from a professor.

I'm stuck between choosing a professor which I had for 1 semester where I aced her class or a former employer who I worked under for 2 years. This was a cashier job at a supermarket so I'm not sure its a good choice but he knows me extremely well.

Which would be the better pick between these two? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Whoever would write a more personal, better letter....

Whoever would write a more personal, better letter....
The employer would definitely write a more personal LOR but he is not as educated and I'm just worried the quality of the letter may be weak

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the quality is better, since it's just isn't a stock letter a professor uses for every student. But that is subjective, it all depends on who is reviewing your application. There are a lot of qualities an employer will know than a professor in a class. Since you already have one good one from a professor, then having one from your supervisor might be better. It shows you are better rounded...

Good thread. I have a question, what if the pharm school says no personal (family members or friends) nor work LOR (unless I've been out of work for a while which isn't the case). I have a professor I'm considering so, who does that leave me with? My dentist? In fact I have a close friend who is a dentist but in another state. Would he qualify? Any other recommendations... Thanks

Does anyone else have any input? I feel like academics are a big part of the LOR and the former employer knows nothing of that. Also his reference would probably be how I'm hardworking, punctual.. Those typical work habits. Does that contribute anything to my application?

I have my boss at a restaurant wrote me a LOR. I asked him to mention about my leadership skill in the letter. Maybe u can ask your supervisor/boss to write about how good u are working in a group,etc. i hope this helps.

I have my boss at a restaurant wrote me a LOR. I asked him to mention about my leadership skill in the letter. Maybe u can ask your supervisor/boss to write about how good u are working in a group,etc. i hope this helps.
Thanks for telling me your experience. I felt like everyone only used LOR from professors and pharmacists. You're the first person I've read so far that used an employer outside of a pharmacist.

I did not know that i can have a letter from my boss. I emailed the school that i am applying, and they said it should be fine. Maybe u should ask the school u are applying to make sure. Every school has different requirement for LORs.

I would ask the boss because as many people here said it is about you, the quality of the letter is better. The professor may not remember you well.