General Admissions & OTCAS Letter of Recommendation/ Evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnakePlissken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Some schools require that the letter of rec (that OTCAS calls evaluation for some reason) comes from the OT field, and I wanted to ask well who should I obtain the letter from? I don't have work experience in PT or OT specifically, so is it acceptable to ask the OT you observed for a letter? When the evaluator receives the request, are they filling out an evaluation form or a letter? If it was just the form I would feel comfortable asking an OT I observed with, but I didn't really observe with them long enough for them to get to know me on a personal level.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs request that one your letters come from an occupational therapist who supervised your observations. That way they can write a letter on your behalf stating they believe you make a good candidate for the program. If you don't feel like you know the OT well enough yet, I would suggest spending more time with them before asking for a letter. Some facilities I observed had policies in which they would not write a letter until I volunteered for 6 months or longer. Best of luck!

So, this may be a silly question, but how are Evaluators matched with each school's specific requirements in OTCAS?
For example: school A requests 2 LORs, 1 from an OT and 1 from a prof.
School B requests 3 LOR's, incl 1 from a work supervisor.
I submit 4 LORs but how do they get matched? I don't see anywhere to designate that level of detail?
I hope I expressed my question clearly, thx!

Members don't see this ad :)
When your evaluator fills out your request, they put their name, title, etc. When schools open your application, they will choose which letters they want to open, based on the title of your evaluator. Ex: a school who wants a letter from an OT will open the letter that says, john doe/ OT

Thank you! Mystery solved!