Letter of recommendation for non-science from a non-professor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forca Barca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not good. Find a prof (faculty member) to write you one.

Or at least try to get the letter cosigned by a faculty member

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen a school's website specify that the letter writer must have a PhD. It does seem like having a non-PhD write a non-science letter is more reasonable than a non-PhD write a science letter. That's just my thought.

Most of my non-science teachers are not professors ... is this the same for you guys?
I took classics, macroecon, microecon, political science, and theatre and all my teachers were not PHD ..

P.S: I attend a 4-year university and not a community college if you're thinking about that.

Most of my non-science teachers are not professors ... is this the same for you guys?
I took classics, macroecon, microecon, political science, and theatre and all my teachers were not PHD ..

P.S: I attend a 4-year university and not a community college if you're thinking about that.

I think this is the case at most large universities. I know it is at mine. You'll be fine. If not, then I'm SOL too. :cool:

I think this is the case at most large universities. I know it is at mine. You'll be fine. If not, then I'm SOL too. :cool:

Exactly, plus if they know you well, they might write a better recommendation letter than a professor would write! thats my thought but i dont know for sure.

Let's wait for some of the pre-med professionals (nerds) here in the forums to see what they think

A PhD candidate teaching a class is not considered a faculty member.

If your school does not offer a committee letter or compilation service, our preference is to review an application with two science letters from faculty with whom you have completed course work. If there is a compelling reason why you cannot obtain the two science letters, we will review your application with the letters provided. Please indicate in the supplemental application essay why you are unable to provide the requested letters. - Temple

It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences. - TMDSAS

We require three letters and prefer one from a science faculty member, one from a non-science faculty member, and one from another recommender of your choice. A pre-medical committee letter may be substituted for these 3 letters. - UMich

I just picked random med schools and checked their policy on rec letters. If you use Google, I'm sure you can do the same to figure out if your PhD candidate (non-faculty) letter will be okay :)

Schools prefer faculty member letters because they are generally more experienced than a PhD candidate in their ability to evaluate students. A non-faculty member letter usually won't carry that much weight. Hope this helps.

A PhD candidate teaching a class is not considered a faculty member.

I just picked random med schools and checked their policy on rec letters. If you use Google, I'm sure you can do the same to figure out if your PhD candidate (non-faculty) letter will be okay :)

Schools prefer faculty member letters because they are generally more experienced than a PhD candidate in their ability to evaluate students. A non-faculty member letter usually won't carry that much weight. Hope this helps.

You do notice that all of your quoted passages refer to science letters.

OP, ask the schools you are applying to. The advice you'll receive here will most likely recommend looking into having your letter cosigned by a faculty member.

My bad. Here's some better sources:

We require three letters and prefer one from a science faculty member, one from a non-science faculty member, and one from another recommender of your choice. A pre-medical committee letter may be substituted for these 3 letters. - UMich

We require a minimum of three academic letters of recommendation or one composite recommendation from a pre-professional committee. This group of letters should contain only one research letter. Acceptable letters of recommendations are written by professors, academic advisor(s), thesis supervisor(s) or research supervisor(s). Personal recommendations are not acceptable. Letters of recommendation must be completed on official university or business letterhead - University of Illinois Chicago

three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. - Wayne

2. Two science faculty letters and one non-science faculty letter. A letter from your premedical or academic advisor is optional. - Loyola

etc.

As you can see, the only way to be sure is to check the website of each individual school you're going to apply to to make sure it's okay. Or you can play it safe and get a faculty letter.