Letter of Recommendation from Science Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrokes14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I understand the importance of letter of recs, and I have a few good ones lined up. My only problem is that I don't really have a good pre-med science professor that knows me. Now, I have done pretty well in some of these classes, a feat that says a lot in and of itself. So would it be an acceptable choice to use a pre-med professor who doesn't know me well, given I have excelled in the class? I feel like pre-med recommendations are much more important, and I am having trouble finding 5 or 6 professors that truly know me well.

Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone:

I understand the importance of letter of recs, and I have a few good ones lined up. My only problem is that I don't really have a good pre-med science professor that knows me. Now, I have done pretty well in some of these classes, a feat that says a lot in and of itself. So would it be an acceptable choice to use a pre-med professor who doesn't know me well, given I have excelled in the class? I feel like pre-med recommendations are much more important, and I am having trouble finding 5 or 6 professors that truly know me well.

Any advice? Thanks!

I wouldn't shoot for 5-6 you only need 3 at most places (2 science and 1 non-science). 3 well written letters from people who know you well and like you is what you should be looking for. If you submit 6 letters and 3 of them are only okay you risk an adcom only reading those okay ones and never getting to your stellar recommendations.

Here is what I would do in your shoes. Pick a science professor who gave you an A and preferably with whom you interacted outside of class, like office hours. Make an appointment. Dress nicely. Tell her your problem. Bring to the meeting a copy of your CV, your Personal Statement, your transcript, and your photo. Chit chat for awhile about things you recall from the class, remind her of the contributions you made. Let her get a feel for your personality. Then ask if she feels she could write you a strong, supportive letter of recommendation. Depending on the enthusiasm or lack thereof, make another appointment with another prof, and do the same.

Chances are good the teacher will want to help you, as it reflects positively on the school for you to gain an acceptance.

Hi Everyone:

Any advice? Thanks!

That made me laugh, lol :laugh: