Letter Of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ztg93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a school that doesn't have a pre-med committee that can write a packet. I know most schools require 3-ish letters (two from a science professor.) I am still missing that 2nd science professor LOR, but I am plan to get it from a professor in June/July. Can I submit the first letters with my primary and work on my secondaries without submitting the 2nd Science Professor LOR? Is it possible that I can even submit my application and have it reviewed by schools without the 2nd Science Professor, and maybe submit it later (August)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Like the terrifying bearded frog above me mentioned, you do not need to have your letters in to start working on secondaries. However, your application will not be reviewed and considered for interviews until it is complete, and part of being complete is having the required letters. So look at the requirements for the schools you're interested in. It's my understanding that most require 2 science and 1 non-science from profs who taught you in a course (so the MD and the volunteer coordinator would not count, they would be 'extra' letters).