Letter of recommendation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on my last quarter of my undergraduate career and I currently don't have any letters of recommendations. However, I will be asking 2 professors that I'm taking a class in for a letter by the end of the quarter. I am actually applying in 2015 so I'm wondering if it is appropriate to ask for the letters this year. Worst case scenario is they won't write me a letter and since I'm graduating this spring quarter. Where can I get science lors given that I will already be graduating? I don't keep in touch with most of my professors because I'm on a quarter system and usually I take different professors every quarter. I also didn't go to a lot of office hours during undergrad except for this quarter. Would it be wise to just ask professors I took an received an A in even though I don't know them that well, of course giving them personal statements,transcript,etc? Or am I allowed to substitute a volunteer coordinator lor for a sci lor, I'm not sure on this so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay I am going to give a little tough love here.

First off, you want strong letters, as strong as you can get them. You need to know your professors, and they need to know you. Otherwise, you will get lukewarm letters at best and not get one at worst. Second, each school has specific requirements for the letters they want (ex. 2 science professors [or premed committee letter], 1 non-science, and physician [for DO schools]). You can find this one on the medical schools' websites.

I suggest taking another science course with the same professor(s), and then speaking with him/her during office hours or after class (asking a class related question). This will build a track record with them. Try to do this fall 2014 (first two quarters) and get the letter immediately after the quarters ends, when you are fresh in their minds.

You can try and get the letters now, and keep them on file. However, I would not use them. If you can get stronger letters during the 2014-2015 year, that would be much better.