Letter of Recommendation question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you see the LoR before the Professor submits it to Pharmcas? I read somewhere that it's bad to check the place where you have the option to see the LoR. I was sick for all 3 of my exams (2 exams, 1 final) for a class and had extra time to take it so I don't think the Professor likes it. I had a good relationship with the Professor though. It's just that I two have planned LoR so far, one from my Microbio Professor and hopeful a Pharmacist at my job and some schools require 2-4.

Members don't see this ad.

It will probably come up in your interview why you chose to see it. If you are unsure if he'll give you a good review, maybe you should try to find an alternative to write you a letter. Though I'm assuming if he agreed to write a letter in the first place, he probably thinks highly of you...

If if you chose to see it you can't, you have to request it from either the school or the person who wrote it. I checked the box and don't mind explaining it because it was done because of curiosity alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
If if you chose to see it you can't, you have to request it from either the school or the person who wrote it. I checked the box and don't mind explaining it because it was done because of curiosity alone.
I don't understand.

It depends on the reviewer, but from what I heard they might place less weight to the letter since it would be less candid. But it all depends on who is reviewing it. Again, this is all speculation. I'm not sure if they really care....

I don't understand.
PharmCAS won't release the letter to you. You would have to ask the professor directly or the school that it was sent to.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand.
I meant if you check the box that doesn't waive your right to see it then you can only see the LOR by requesting it from the school or the person writing it. You can't access it through pharmcas

So basically if you don't want to ask anyone for it then just waive your right to see it. If I would have known that pharmcas wouldn't release it to me I would have just waived mine because I know they wrote good letters for me but don't plan on asking anyone.

Personally, I don't think curiosity alone is worth the risk of being asked during the interview or the letter being taken less seriously. I doubt that most professors would take the time to write a bad review anyway. They would most likely flat out refuse. In my opinion, the worst scenario would be receiving a mediocre review...

What if I ask the Professor to see the LoR before she submits and she lets me see it but adds some negative stuff after letting me see it and submits it? Lol

probably shouldn't ask her in the first place, if there is anything remotely negative.... Do you have other options?

I have a slightly different LOR question...

After you input the writer's name/information into PharmCAS, when do they send the form to be completed to that person? Is it is as soon as you input and save the information, or is it after you submit your application? I just want to be able to give my writers a little "heads up."

They should get the email as soon as you enter and save their info into pharmcas