Letter of Recommendation Slip Up - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeflies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

So I'm a reapplicant and applied two years ago. One of my LORs came from an academic lab I worked in as a freshman.

At that time, the LOR was written by a senior scientist on behalf of the PI and signed by the PI. Thus, the letter entry on AMCAS contained all of the PI's information.

This cycle, I have obtained a letter from the same letter writer. However, she has since left the lab and now works in industry. Due to poor communication, I recently learned that she had signed the letter herself and it was not signed by the previous PI.

Yet, the contact info on AMCAS and on the rest of my secondaries is that of the PI. I have already submitted all my secondaries and assigned that letter to nearly every school.

Certainly there is no malicious intent but of course, that judgment is reserved for adcoms who are reading my app. I'm not sure if this is merit to flat out reject an applicant, or just simply a source of confusion.

Any advice on whether to call every admissions office? Or is that overkill and email is fine for this matter?

**side note: I've received 2 IIs thus far and this letter was sent to both schools.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks @gonnif

It just worries me since I've been sitting on completed applications for quite some time now and plenty of applicants completed after me at several schools are receiving IIs, whereas I'm still stuck in limbo. Of course, that's most likely the neuroticism manifesting itself. Though up until I learned about this letter, I didn't have any potentially real reason to worry.