Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalPersian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going around and getting my LORs ready for this cycle, and out one my professors won't be at the school this summer, but is still willing to write me a letter; however, he said it won't be ready until the end of July. I was wanting to apply early, but I'm not sure how this late letter would affect me if I sent in my application the first week. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going around and getting my LORs ready for this cycle, and out one my professors won't be at the school this summer, but is still willing to write me a letter; however, he said it won't be ready until the end of July. I was wanting to apply early, but I'm not sure how this late letter would affect me if I sent in my application the first week. What should I do?

Are you going through your school's committee or having your LORs submitted directly to AADSAS? If the latter, ask for a LOR from a professor who can write it now. End of July isn't late, but you can't control whether that professor actually gets it in by then. Did you let your professor know that you need it by end of June at the latest?

Also, remember that AADSAS takes 3-4 weeks to process your transcripts...are you planning to apply June 1?

I am not going through the committee. Yes I did inform him that I need the letter by the end of June, but he is a herpetologist and he's "taking a different path in life right now." Meaning he will be doing research on turtles all summer long, and even though he is teaching a summer course he said that he will only be on campus during that one week class and he will leave immediately after the class ends and doesn't plan on being reachable on campus until the Fall semester starts. I've had four classes with this professor so he is the professor that knows me best on campus. There are a couple other professors I was thinking about, but those professors I've only had for 2 classes or less. Well the application doesn't open until the 4th this year, and AADSAS won't process your application until they receive your transcripts. So I plan to submit my AADSAS application after they receive my transcripts which is like a week. So I'm planning on applying a couple of days after it opens.

You don't want to get shafted by the lateness of anyone's letter! There's nothing wrong with being a little pushy about letters. Crack that whip.

Ok I mean respectfully crack that whip and be polite when pushing for that letter. Save the rage for later and go hit the gym to take it out.

...Not speaking from personal experience.

Last edited: