Letter of Recs- Committee/ pre-health advisor vs professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kev1n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In order for someone to receive a committee letter.. aren't letters of recs from professors required beforehand? To my understanding, a committee letter is written by a committee who evaluates letters from all the letter of recs you have received (from DOs/ Professors). Is my understanding wrong?

FOr example, this is what is written on the OSU website

Track 1

* 1 letter from a college or university pre-professional committee
* 1 letter from a D.O.

Track 2

* 3 letters from faculty (preferably 2 science and 1 non-science)
* 1 letter from a D.O.

Also,

A lot of the DO school websites indicate either a pre-health advisor OR a science professor letter of rec is required. Does anyone know if DO schools have a preference over one or the other?

THanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

kev1n said:
Hi,

In order for someone to receive a committee letter.. aren't letters of recs from professors required beforehand? To my understanding, a committee letter is written by a committee who evaluates letters from all the letter of recs you have received (from DOs/ Professors). Is my understanding wrong?

Track 1

* 1 letter from a D.O.

Track 2

* 1 letter from a D.O.

Also,

A lot of the DO school websites indicate either a pre-health advisor OR a science professor letter of rec is required. Does anyone know if DO schools have a preference over one or the other?

THanks for your help!

Have you ever talked to your premed advisor on campus? You really should, because if you don't know the difference between a committee and an individual LOR then you've got a LOT to learn about this process. A premed committee puts together a file on you, and keeps your letters of recommendation together, and counsels you on how to apply, when, etc..

They'll also(be warned) tell you that you have no chance to get into medical school unless blah,blah,blah. Many people have come away with a sour taste in their mouths from premed committees.

Very few schools rigidly require a letter from a premed committee. Most are okay with:

-One letter from a DO
-Two from science professors
-One from a liberal arts professor

I would do this instead of the committee. For example, at CU-Boulder, the premed committee letter "process" takes a year and requires several meetings with the committee, mock interviews, and sessions with the premed advisor. A worthless pain in the keester if you ask me. Get to know your professors. Volunteer to work in their research labs, if possible. Go to office hours to discuss in-class topics, but also to get to know them as people. Not only are many professors pretty fascinating people outside of being professors, but you'll get one big, shiny letter of rec from them at the end of the semester.

A question along those lines ...

I am doing research for credit this summer ... technically can't I count the professor as a LOR because I will be taking 6 credits with her this summer? She doesn't teach at the university I attend as I'm doing research at a medical school.

Just curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that schools specify that the letter must come from someone that taught you in undergrad. They just say that it must be a science professor that's familiar with your work. Even though it's not for a grade, they can still write a recommendation for you.

Side note: Do Osteopathic schools use Interfolio for the most part?

DrVanNostran said:
Side note: Do Osteopathic schools use Interfolio for the most part?
Yes. I applied to the majority of them and never once had a problem.

kev1n said:
Hi,

Track 1

* 1 letter from a D.O.

Track 2

* 1 letter from a D.O.

Also,

THanks for your help!

You should send a letter from a pre-med committee with a consolidation of faculty letters. You should send a DO letter seperately. This is the preferred method. (Track 1.)