Letter writers haven't uploaded letters...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two of my writers still have not uploaded their letters, which would be okay, but they're also not responding to my emails.

I asked them both, in person, for a letter well in advance, and both said they were happy to do it. Since then, I have tried to stay in contact with them via email (sending resume, PS, etc.), and have also contacted them several times just to let them know they were in the system and could put their letter in my app at any time. Neither have responded to any of my emails.

I'm starting to get a little concerned, as I don't want to send an obnoxious "I NEED YOUR LETTER NOOOW" email, but I've kind of exhausted my "polite reminders" and don't know their phone, and am living in another city.

I probably won't be submitting for another week or so, and I know I can submit without the letters, but I gave them an earlier deadline just to be safe. Both are very busy researchers, so I get the sense that, unless they write the letter right after I speak with them, they'll forget about it and I'll never get the things.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Two of my writers still have not uploaded their letters, which would be okay, but they're also not responding to my emails.

I asked them both, in person, for a letter well in advance, and both said they were happy to do it. Since then, I have tried to stay in contact with them via email (sending resume, PS, etc.), and have also contacted them several times just to let them know they were in the system and could put their letter in my app at any time. Neither have responded to any of my emails.

I'm starting to get a little concerned, as I don't want to send an obnoxious "I NEED YOUR LETTER NOOOW" email, but I've kind of exhausted my "polite reminders" and don't know their phone, and am living in another city.

I probably won't be submitting for another week or so, and I know I can submit without the letters, but I gave them an earlier deadline just to be safe. Both are very busy researchers, so I get the sense that, unless they write the letter right after I speak with them, they'll forget about it and I'll never get the things.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?

You won't need them till like early July anyways, cause schools don't send out secondaries yet. Just email your referees for a status check and tell them to email you back if they have any questions re: submission system.

You won't need them till like early July anyways, cause schools don't send out secondaries yet. Just email your referees for a status check and tell them to email you back if they have any questions re: submission system.

Okay. I know that I do not need the letters right this second, it's more a matter of knowing that I'm surely at the bottom of their to-do list, and am not receiving any responses from them. I just have a sense that this will continue for the next month...looking for a subtle way to nudge them a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
STILL without the letters. I think I've clearly been forgotten :thumbdown:thumbdown

Anyone have any suggestions on what to write in an email to them? I'm trying to think of a subtle way to remind them and tell them that I would like it asap--you know, without coming across like an ******* and leaving them with a slightly bad taste in their collective mouthes as they write me a letter.

Thoughts?

I did rewrite my PS, which they both asked for, so I could do it under the guise that I'm sending along a new essay...

Surprise, professors often don't care about your timelines. I'm going through the same thing myself.

Are you doing anything about it, or just waiting patiently?

If I knew that they remembered, but are just busy and will get to it, I wouldn't say anything. It's that I haven't heard from either of them, and get the sense that they don't even remember. One told he would write it within 3 days after I send my info. That was about a month ago.

Are you doing anything about it, or just waiting patiently?

If I knew that they remembered, but are just busy and will get to it, I wouldn't say anything. It's that I haven't heard from either of them, and get the sense that they don't even remember. One told he would write it within 3 days after I send my info. That was about a month ago.

Well, you walk a delicate line. You want to remind them, but you don't want to be a prick. My letter is a committee letter, so I'm confident it will get written. When I e-mailed the pre-health director and asked him when I could expect it, though, he essentially said (in a much more tacit way) f off.

STILL without the letters. I think I've clearly been forgotten :thumbdown:thumbdown

Anyone have any suggestions on what to write in an email to them? I'm trying to think of a subtle way to remind them and tell them that I would like it asap--you know, without coming across like an ******* and leaving them with a slightly bad taste in their collective mouthes as they write me a letter.

Thoughts?

I did rewrite my PS, which they both asked for, so I could do it under the guise that I'm sending along a new essay...

If you cant do it in person, email them again, and say something like "As the deadline approaches, I just wanted to remind you about the letter you agreed to write for me. Sorry for being so insistent, blah blah blah, but i really need the letter......" or something along those lines. Make a deadline up if there isnt actually one.

I am still a big fan of dropping off a Thank-You note with a token inside (Coffee Bean Gift Card, etc). It is subtle enough and positive instead of annoying. Every time they look at the card in their wallet they will be reminded.

It worked with 2 of my writers who were 2 months past when they promised. One turned it around in 3 days after getting the note.

Yeah, having same problem. I've asked for new letters, 2 were done instantly. 1 responded "absolutely!" and after a reminder e-mail as well as a visit at the end of clinic promised to have it the next day. I got it a few days later.

Of the remaining two I've asked for one from a YEAR ago. After several reminders I asked the doctor's PA and assistant for some thoughts, and they suggested the doctor works best under pressure and should give a deadline. I did that and my arbitrary deadline passed so I'm going to see her today.

Last letter no news but will follow up on it this weekend.

You have to appreciate that they may want to but have to get in gear to sit down and write it, and often there's so much else going on with their lives that it keeps getting pushed on a side burner. I think following up in person is much better because you can get a feeling for how they are about writing the letter.