Letters of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently talked to a friend at another school who's interviewing on the FM trail at the moment. He's doing the AOA match so this may not apply to people applying ACGME, but here it goes anyway...

Is it common to receive letters of intent from programs? He said he's received a number of letters indicating a PD's intention to place him high on the list. He also already was offered a pre-match spot or two and I know this is no longer allowed in the ACGME system.

Anyway, is it common to get those types of letters from ACGME programs or are they considered match violations too these days? I ask because I haven't received much so far.

I do know that it's best to take such ovations with a grain of salt as they have often been used as strategy on the part of PD's to fill their slots; but still...

Members don't see this ad.

I recently talked to a friend at another school who's interviewing on the FM trail at the moment. He's doing the AOA match so this may not apply to people applying ACGME, but here it goes anyway...

Is it common to receive letters of intent from programs? He said he's received a number of letters indicating a PD's intention to place him high on the list. He also already was offered a pre-match spot or two and I know this is no longer allowed in the ACGME system.

Anyway, is it common to get those types of letters from ACGME programs or are they considered match violations too these days? I ask because I haven't received much so far.

I do know that it's best to take such ovations with a grain of salt as they have often been used as strategy on the part of PD's to fill their slots; but still...

I don't think they're match violations, but it was less common to hear about this from ACGME programs. The AOA programs used to do it more often.

I was reading about Match Violations on the NRMP website and this is totally fine, but does not constitute a contract that they will actually do this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading about Match Violations on the NRMP website and this is totally fine, but does not constitute a contract that they will actually do this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Absolutely, totally take with GOS; but should I be concerned that I haven't recieved anything like this?

The idea behind the new guidelines - the spirit of the law at least (even if not the actual wording?) - it to very much discourage this kind of activity. Our program doesn't send out anything like that at all.