Letters of Rec are making me anxious...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumpy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a little confused about how many letters of recommendation most schools actually want. I've looked at a number of schools I'm interested in applying to, and on their admissions websites many of them state that you can either submit a committee letter (preferably) or three letters of recommendation from various faculty that know you somewhat well. So...does this mean a committee letter will suffice? Some also mention that you can submit up to three letters from random places (employers, extracurricular activity supervisors ,etc.). Would one committee letter really be enough? Or should you get at least one letter from some other person that knows you well? For some reason I assumed medical schools wanted a boatload of letters, but the info from their websites makes it seem like they actually would rather you not send many at all. Any advice would be helpful...

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a little confused about how many letters of recommendation most schools actually want. I've looked at a number of schools I'm interested in applying to, and on their admissions websites many of them state that you can either submit a committee letter (preferably) or three letters of recommendation from various faculty that know you somewhat well. So...does this mean a committee letter will suffice? Some also mention that you can submit up to three letters from random places (employers, extracurricular activity supervisors ,etc.). Would one committee letter really be enough? Or should you get at least one letter from some other person that knows you well? For some reason I assumed medical schools wanted a boatload of letters, but the info from their websites makes it seem like they actually would rather you not send many at all. Any advice would be helpful...

The committee letter generally consists of information drawn from letters from 2 science faculty, 1 non science faculty, and 1 other from someone who knows you in a work/volunteer setting. These are the same requirements (in general) that exist for people submitting individual letters, but the committee letter makes it easier for adcoms to glean the important points about you. It is expected that you use a committee letter if your school offers it. Otherwise, you just have to research each school's requirements and plan accordingly.

Really depends on the school. One of the schools I was looking at said, under no circumstances, to get more than one LOR from an MD (?). They only want one, and one only. The rest should be written by "community members."

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The operative clause for letters is "science professors", and "non-science professors".

Science professors are very important. Science professors have taught you in at least one science course (note: it may or may not be BCPM. Your Pharmacology professor is not BCPM, but allied health sciences, and they count.) Most allopathic schools require TWO letters from science professors. The professor should know you BEYOND simply getting an A in their course. This is more important than actually getting an A: you should know them fairly well and be on friendly speaking terms, even if you got an A- or a B+. You can use a PI for a science professor if they taught you in at least one science course: this can be a good strategy. Science professors can have a Ph.D or M.D. if your school has clinician-educators. TAs are generally less acceptable and should be avoided if at all possible. They may or may not be tenure-track.

Non-science professors are also important. Personally, I define "non-science professor" as "anyone with power over you other than a science professor". This can be an English professor. This can be a volunteer supervisor, or an employer. This can be an attending physician who you have worked with in some setting. Generally, shadowing is not a good choice for your non-science professor letter, but if you have worked with an attending and they like you, don't write them off just because they have a M.D. It could also be a PI even if they are a science professor and you took their course, as long as you're using other science professors for the science professor requirement. Do not use anyone who does not have power over you. In general, you will need ONE non-science professor letter.

Ask all LOR writers two months before you need the letter. April or May sounds like a good time.

Most MD:

Committee letter, 1 science, 1 non-science, 1 recommendation/EC

If you are doing MD/PhD...
So Utah required me to submit a lot... was it 5 or 7? Anyways, they required 2 research letters and 2 science or something. All I know was - I was running around with my head cut off.