letters of rec for ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it terrible if you have only one of your letters of rec from ob/gyn?
i know some programs require the chairman's letter, which i have gotten...but it is not a personal letter. i don't feel comfortable sending it when i have other personal letters.
just need some advice

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in the same boat you're in. the only ob/gyn letter is my chairman's letter and i hope that's going to be enough for the programs. i would also really like to hear others' thoughts on this.

i spoke w my clerkship director and actually asked her what was the best way for me to get another ob/gyn letter and she told me that i really shouldn't worry about getting another one in addition to the chairman's letter. it seems like as long as the other letters can speak to your clinical skills (esp. in surgery, i do have a surgery letter...) then that's the main thing. i also have a medicine letter and a letter from a professor i did research with and all the letter writers know me well professionally if not personally as well. but again, would love to hear what other people have to say about this...

thanks!

A few programs I applied to required a letter from "a practicing, board certified ob/gyn". I guess the chairman's letter counts if he/she is still practicing?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a resident involved with interviewing, I think personal letters from people in other fields is better than generic letters from some OB you did a half day clinic with 2 years ago. As a student, I did a family medicine elective in an underserved clinic and got a great LOR that was very personal. Several interviewers commented on points in that letter. To the OP, don't send any letters that you feel don't add to your application. Of course, if a specific program asks for more than a chairman's letter I guess you will need another one. Good luck!

so, for programs that recommed a chairman's, you would send it right?

Yes I would send it. But if you really think it is generic make sure you have another OB/Gyn or other that is more personal.

My residency program director (Northwestern) said at a meeting that we really should have 3 ob/gyn letters. I'm not sure how applicable that is across the board...