Letters of Rec from non-tenured Faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therapist89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Question: I am a sophomore intending to pursue a Ph.D. in Clinical Psych, and I was wondering what your opinions are on obtaining a letter of rec from a non-tenure track faculty member? I think I will have one with my PI who I have conducted a ton of independent research with, as well as one from an actual clinical psychologist who I do extra-curricular mental health-related stuff with. For my third letter, I was thinking of asking a faculty member who I will have taken a class with and done some independent readings with - he specializes in the field I want to pursue, too, so I think he would help in that regard. However, I have heard that admissions programs only want to see letters from professors on the tenure track? And he's considered a "lecturer", even though he has years of experience teaching at my university (and his Ph.D. is in HDFS).

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for myself, but I would not view that letter negatively. We want to get a full sense of the applicants from the letters, both in the classroom, out of the classroom, and especially in the research laboratory. If you have clinical experience, all the better, but most of us don't expect it for those applying with a bachelor's degree. Thus, if you think that this individual helps tell your story, by all means, include the letter. I must admit I do look at the terminal degree for the letter writer, so having a PhD will help. Just be sure the person knows you well and can write an enthusiastic letter. For some reason, often the letters I see from non-tenure track faculty, practicum supervisors, etc. are some of the weakest letters I see. I hope that helps, and keep in mind this is an N of 1, so definitely keep asking around.

For what it's worth, one of my letter writers was from a visiting professor (Ph.D. level). I was an undergrad TA for her and did some research with her as well, and so she was able to write a much more personal and high quality letter than if I had used a tenure-track faculty. I applied to 6 clinical Ph.D. programs and was accepted at 2. So, at least at the schools where I was accepted, it did not hurt my chances!

At the end of the day, I suspect that high quality LOR from a non-tenured faculty > Mediocre LOR from tenured faculty who doesn't know you well. Or at least that was my experience when I was applying.

Reactions: 1 users
I am thinking that the admissions committtees are not going to be that concerned about the credentials of your LOR writers so long as it makes sense and from what you are saying it does. It sounds to me like you are right on track with getting solid research experience and being exposed to the clinical, as well. Keep up the good work.