letters of rec from volunteer supervisor who is my boyfriend's mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysnow7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it appropriate to get a LOR from my boyfriend's mom? she founded a non-profit organization and i have been volunteering for her. i feel like she can write about how i handled obstacles related to the charity. it's more than just a character letter because she can go into how i deal with problems and find solutions. what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, if you really did quality volunteering service for this woman's organization and she can comment on your skills and character, I dont see a problem... i dont think that the fact that its your boybriend's mother is even relevant , plus how would someone find out about this fact?

I don't think she has to disclose her relationship with you if she doesn't want to.

I run into a bit of an issue here too.. I had a great mentor who I shadowed and learned a lot from, who also really got to see my passion for medicine. Then I married his daughter. So that's not good for a LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe i'm thinking too deep into the whole "conflict of interest" issue. i think i will ask her to write me one, but to only talk about the professional relationship we have (not to avoid the personal relationship, but just to keep the letter more relevant).

how about this situation: my boyfriend's grandpa is a well known MD and he knows what my aspirations are, however he only knows that i've told him, or what his family has mentioned to him about me. is this frowned upon to name drop for the sake of name dropping? i think i already know the answer, but what do you think?

i'm so bad at name dropping. haha. thanks for all your opinions!