Letters of Recomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmasc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I plan on applying for the 2015 starting class and am graduating undergrad in May. I have one professor who I know I can get a LoR from, but I'm not sure who to ask for that second faculty letter. Have any of you had experience in asking someone you have not spent a lot of time working with? I'm taking a couple classes in the Fall at a different college (I'm moving), so I guess there is potential there. Then again, I want to apply as early as possible and I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to ask a new professor for a letter.

Also, I haven't asked my professor yet because I didn't see any guidelines on what they need to include. The professor asked me if there were certain questions that schools would like answered and I had to tell her I would get back to her! Does anyone know if there is a guideline for this? I couldn't find anything on the schools' websites or AACPM...
Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no guidelines. You tell your professor what program you are applying for and they write you a letter. You can of course give them your personal statement or resume as guidance. Personally I don't like giving more than my PS as I feel it defeats the purpose of the letter if they are writing stuff based off of information the admissions will see.

You also do not have to submit your letters right away. A few schools will grant interviews even before receiving them.

The professors that wrote letters for me asked me for my resume and my academic summary (basically my transcript) as references to go off of. I have heard of some professors asking the student to write their own letter of recommendation and they just sign it. It just depends on the professor. I think that Western has a form to give to the letter writers to have them fill out and attach with the letter, I may be wrong though.