Letters of Recommendation Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scuundergrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior undergraduate psychology major who is in the process of applying to both MSW and MA counseling programs. I have a question regarding letters of recommendation

A few schools I'm applying to require a third letter of recommendation. I was wondering if you have an opinion on who I ask--I have the option of asking a psych professor who I've had a course with previously, and am in a course with now OR a Spanish professor I've had for several courses and knows me better on a personal level (I have a Spanish minor). Which would you recommend? The professor in a related field who doesn't know me as well, or the professor in an unrelated field who I feel knows my personality and how I am as a student better?

My other two recommendations are already secured. My boss at the non profit I have worked at for a year (will write well about my personality, work ethic, goals, how I work with disadvantaged populations, in hectic situations, etc.) Another professor will write a letter regarding mainly my academics, he doesn't know me very well personally but we are meeting more so I can explain my goals/reasons for desire to go into these fields etc.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, in the context of social work, a reference letter from a Spanish professor would look great. You really want the person who knows you better to write your LOR so they can be more personalized. I had a criminal justice professor write one of my letters, a police lieutenant write another, and then a psychology professor for the third; this got me into several programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Per the advice of my advisor and a few others I ending up asking my Spanish professor. She was thrilled about writing it and kept gushing about how proud she was of me, so I'm thinking it was a good choice :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations, that sounds like just the kind of professor you want writing your letter. Good luck!