Letters of Recommendation from an MD who treated me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naeu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the verdict on someone who treated me over a year long span, who I am in close contact with on a weekly basis, as a letter of recommendation? I am confident this MD can write a fabulous letter.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't use it. He can't evaluate you from a supervisory perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the verdict on someone who treated me over a year long span, who I am in close contact with on a weekly basis, as a letter of recommendation? I am confident this MD can write a fabulous letter.
What can he possibly recommend you for? Being a "fabulous" and "easy going" patient? If you did not shadow him (i.e, tag along with him when he works) then the letter is essentially worthless. In case that you did shadow him, physician letter often play minimal role in admission process.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because he CAN write a great letter, doesn't mean you should trust that he will. Your physician only knows you as a patient, and could only write about you accordingly. The resulting letter might say a lot about you, but it may not address the qualities for which admissions committees are looking.

What are the qualities that the ad. coms look for in these letters specifically?

I don't think this is a good idea.
@gyngyn and @mimelim often remind us about the minimal impact of LORs from MDs.
Physicians tend to write glowing letters for everyone so the strength of their letters has devalued.
PI's and emplyers can still write a good letter, though (even if they are physicians!).

I am here to report how these letters are viewed.
The number of "physician letters" we receive is growing every year, though their relative value has remained quite small. I don't know all the reasons that my colleagues seem to have such affection for every applicant that shadows them. I do know that many of them are friends and colleagues of the applicant's parents. This seems to strongly color their endorsement. They actually seem blissfully unaware of how their letters are received!

Things like leadership, working in teams, working with people different than you, being patient with people, communication skills, intelligence, taking initiative, projects and accomplishments, etc. If your letter touches on one or none of these general topics, don't do it. A good letter will hit many of these, and I am unsure as to whether or not this is a good idea

What are the qualities that the ad. coms look for in these letters specifically?
Not how well you can be a patient, which is the only quality your doctor can address.

10/10 a generic letter about you being a person that exists would help get you into med school.

A letter from your own doctor is almost as weak as one from your Mom.

Here I was thinking yo momma jokes were out of style.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 user
A letter from your own doctor is almost as weak as one from your Mom.
Plot twist...said doctor is also OP's mom

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even a letter from a physician you shadowed isn't great. You want people you've worked with. People that can vouch for your competency in the work force, as a team player, as someone who learns, is introspective, and adjusts in the professional and medical environment.

And if your Mom is your own doctor it is weakness squared

In all seriousness

1) it doesnt express your academic ability from a professor
2) it doesnt express your research ability from a PI/faculty member
3) it doesnt represent your personal characteristics from leadership, commitment, motivation, etc, from an EC
4) it doesnt represent a supervisory opinion from a someone you worked under
5) it doesnt represent any clinical volunteering from a medical professional
6) it doesnt represent opinion of a physician you shadowed

Those are a very broad way to look at the 6 categories of typical LOR in order from most useful to least useful
Thank you for being serious and actually answering my questions. You've given more more information to make a better decision.

No, because they have not directly supervised you in a professional setting and thus cannot assess (in this setting) your qualifications (though certainly they can write about how fond they are of you, it would remain a personal reference rather than a professional one).

If I was an adcom reading a letter from a doc who treated you, I would laugh and toss your file in the reject pile