Letters of Recommendation in first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting a recommendation letter from an English prof. Her position is actually an Adjunct Professor. This is my first semester but she knows me since its a small class. She is enthusiastic about writing a letter for me if I wish to ask one from her. Is it a good idea to get one so early on? What things do ad. comms. want to see in this letter? For those who have had their letter written very early for them, what kinds of things were included?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My school required 2 recs from science professors only. Adjuncts aren't usually at a school for very long sometimes, so I would worry about this rec. But the fact that she knows you is a plus so use your best judgement.

Science professors are normally what schools want first. Every school I applied to asked for 2 science professors and then it was up to us as to whom ever else we deceided to get.

That's great. You'll definetly need a non-science recommendation when it comes down to applying. Tell the professor that you won't apply until two years and that if she wouldn't mind writing a letter then. That way you can give your English teacher your tenative med school personal essay, and resume, with stuff you 'll work on between now and then.

Ad comms also want to know how long this person has known you and if you wait, she can write she's known you since two years. Does your school have a health advisement office? if so, they should have guidelines for recommenders, reminding them what they might want to include on the letter. Maybe someone hear can reply with their school's suggestions for what to write on recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
First semester in college??

DON'T BOTHER!!!!! Seriously....i know if some schools that require the letter be written within the past year or two. Also, don't rush it...just relax...but if you must, just go ahead and do it...for a backup "nonscience letter"

i remember someone on this board said that his recommenders wrote him excellent recs, so i assume he did read the letters. now, my question is, can we ask to see the letters very politely before sending them out, because my boss is very willing to write me a letter, but he's a science guy and doesn't know what med schools look for.

Get the letter if she does know you really well. I have a letter from an adjunct professor and two letters from freshmen year and many of my interviewers have commented on how personal and good those letters were (I have never read them). Just remember to keep a balanced file...get some from science profs and from later years. Letters from people who can say more than "he/she got an A in my class" are excellent!

PS I have been accepted by a school so my freshman non-science letters haven't hurt me yet!

PPS it's all about balance