Letters of Recommendation & Letters from D.O.'s.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to how many letters of recommendation I should obtain throughout the next year for my application. I was also wondering if multiple letters from D.O.'s would be beneficial, or is one enough. Will letters from M.D.'s be weighted heavily?
Thanks in advance

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Members don't see this ad.

I had one letter from a DO, multiple letters from MD's, and 3 letters from faculty at my school (anatomy, physiology, and physics profs.) These latter 3 letters were compiled into a "committee letter" which was mailed to all the schools I applied to. It's not so much the number of leters you get as it is the quality of the letters. In reality, I think most DO schools request a letter from a DO because they want to know you have had some kind of exposure to the field. In my case, I had a good friend growing up whos father was a DO, so he knew me since my childhood. That made it easy. Most of the docs I knew were MD's, but I knew them well and I felt they could write a better letter than a DO whom I just called up and went to shadow. They just knew me better. Also, ask about where they went to school...if you are applting to a school where they are an alumn, make that known to them. Maybe they can make a call on your behalf (but that doesn't pan out too often because usually the schools just thank them for calling and never think about it again, unless of course they are some kind of big wig there.) Make sure faculty at your school know you. I often went in to ask questions that were not directly related to the material, but were rather extensions of concepts that involved more than just what we were learning at the time...that shows interest and independence. If you are particularly good at a subject, go see a prof and offer to tutor students having trouble. I did that, and when those students showed improvement, the prof recognized I had something to do with it. These things resulted in profs who knew me by name and could write a good letter (plus tutoring serves as a good review for the MCAT!) In the end, if you're applying to DOs chools, just make sure you have one letter from a DO (it doesn't hurt to have more if you know more than one DO though.) Just make sure the letters you send are quality reflections of you. I'm quite sure you'll have no trouble with that
biggrin.gif

Nice summary UHS03. Pretty much what I did. My best letters were a direct result of the work I did for our schools Pre-Medical Society and for our University Student Congress. I got to know my Pre-Med advisor really well due to the prior and the later got me letters from the Dean of Students. In addition, I got letters from my org. chem professor, a DO I shadowed, a good MD friend of mine, and my research mentor.

A few schools have limits on the number of letters you send (I can't remember who). MSUCOM, for example only allows 2 letters. Don't worry about it to much just no need to clutter their limited file space with 10 letters. 4-5 solid letters should be more than adequate.

One DO letter was sufficient enough to get me 7 interviews. I used an MD letter for DMU, instead of the DO letter and I got an interview there as well. Didn't seem to make a difference. I would agree, though, that the DO letter is certainly better when applying to DO schools and in some cases required.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 05-12-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information!

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
"D.O. Wannabe"

josh,

i went to pcps for my post bacc work. suzanne murphy should give you good advice on how to proceed. i am on two osteopathic waitlists with everything (fingers and toes) crossed. word of advice, DO NOT get your application materials in late like i did, january, that is bad. =D

2 DO letters should be sufficient...any more than that and they may wonder if there is something you need to overcompensate for. best to have DO recs for DO schools, not MD.

i had one DO rec (a strong one), the committee letter and a rec from Dr. Mayville. Seems to be working so far, but ahhhhh, if i wasnt so late in getting them in :)

good luck and keep paddling, its the only way to get there =D

catherine

Catherine-

Thanks for your reply.
Dr. M is great. She is really knowledgable and so easy to talk to.
I am working with a D.O. now and I think he will give me a greta recommendation at the end of the summer.
Thanks again for your reply and best of luck!!!

PS: What was the reason you got your app. in so late?

Thanks

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
"D.O. Wannabe"