Letters of Recommendation Writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagonwheel23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning on applying to medical school in the next cycle and have a quick question about letters of recommendation. I would love anyone's input!

I graduated from college in 2010 and from graduate school in 2012 (I left my Biochem PhD program with a masters). Since 2012 I have worked at two companies. The first was a small marketing startup in San Francisco. I was a highly respected employee and drove substantial growth during my tenure. I now work at a health and wellness startup, where I have also had success.

I will be able to get a committee letter from my undergraduate institution, but I'm a bit perplexed as to who to request letters of recommendations from. I will certainly have letters from my undergraduate and graduate research advisers. However, will recommendations from my direct managers (one is director level, the other is VP level) at the companies I worked at be valuable? I have additional professors from my undergraduate and graduate institutions that can speak highly of me, so I have some flexibility with who writes my letters.

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in in this exact situation. I ended up getting recommendations from 2 employers and one professor from school that knew me well. I did not use a committee letter and this was not an issue for almost all the medical schools I applied to. As a non-trad, I would focus on those that know you well and maybe try to get one science professor LOR. I got accepted...

Hi everyone,

I am planning on applying to medical school in the next cycle and have a quick question about letters of recommendation. I would love anyone's input!

I graduated from college in 2010 and from graduate school in 2012 (I left my Biochem PhD program with a masters). Since 2012 I have worked at two companies. The first was a small marketing startup in San Francisco. I was a highly respected employee and drove substantial growth during my tenure. I now work at a health and wellness startup, where I have also had success.

I will be able to get a committee letter from my undergraduate institution, but I'm a bit perplexed as to who to request letters of recommendations from. I will certainly have letters from my undergraduate and graduate research advisers. However, will recommendations from my direct managers (one is director level, the other is VP level) at the companies I worked at be valuable? I have additional professors from my undergraduate and graduate institutions that can speak highly of me, so I have some flexibility with who writes my letters.

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it.

I was in a similar situation, having graduated way back in 2008 (applying now). I sent in five letters total, one from my boss and one from a coworker. The remainder were professors and physicians. I was actually really stressed out about recommendation letters at first, until I realized that having a few letters from bosses/coworkers was both acceptable and desirable. Hell, I could have sent in a dozen letters from coworkers and supervisors.

A good rule of thumb is to offer to write them a rough draft, since people are busy. Give them suggested topics to write about, a few numbers from your career to cite, and of course letter submission instructions. Make sure they use company letterhead and sign it.

Nothing wrong with using an employer letter. They can reflect on how you work in the real world, not just a classroom. So some profs and bosses are a good mix.