Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by TUGM, 08.14.13.

1. TUGM

TUGM

Resident [Any Field]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have an issue with LORs that I'd like to run by the more experienced. I rotated in my Neurology elective early, as I've known for a long time I wanted to go into a neuroscience-based specialty. The attendings I worked with, however, both quit shortly after I rotated (not because of me!) due to the high pressure of the job at my institution. Therefore, we have not had neurology coverage for the past 2 years. My mentor is an interventional neurologist at a private hospital associated with our medical school.

So basically, I am only able to obtain ONE letter from a Neurologist. My other letters include 1-2 letters from IM attendings I worked very closely with in an inpatient and outpatient setting and 1 letter from the director of internal medicine/neurobiology research at a strong midwest university hospital system. I have tried multiple times to contact my previous neurology attendings to no avail...

Am I going to be discounted during interview selection because I have only 1 neurology letter? All I want to do is be a brain doctor!!:love:
    Last edited: 08.14.13
  2. drzing

drzing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would try to get a letter from your department chair.
  3. TUGM

TUGM

Resident [Any Field]
    It's funny because we don't have one... Yeah big shortage of neurologists in our area.
  4. bblue

bblue Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You have nothing to worry about. One letter from a neurologist is ample. Other letters should come from people who know you the best and will speak highly of you. The research letter will be a big boost and help you stand out as well. Don't fret.
  5. 807crash

807crash

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You are fine.

I actually didn't have a single letter from a Neurologist. Because of the rotations/requirements at my Med school and the early match, I hadn't even completed my Neurology rotation yet when I had already started applying!

It is more important to have strong letters from people who know you well, and/or strong names/chair in a rotation you did very well in.

I used letters from internal medicine, OB/GYN and my research advisor. In my interviews at the program I ultimately matched at, they made a point of mentioning I had strong letters and did well in my rotations. That's what mattered.

Of course, you should be able to answer the question "Why Neurology?" like a pro.
  6. TUGM

TUGM

Resident [Any Field]
    As always, thank you everyone, for your insightful responses.

One further question: My research letter will be from a PhD, not an M.D. I'm assuming it shouldn't be too much of a problem? Am I correct in assuming this?
  7. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    If it were me, I'd take it more seriously!

8. 807crash

807crash

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My research letter was from a PhD, and I think that is great. In fact, it may suggest a slightly more hard core lab/research experience. I also had a letter from a research experience with an MD/PhD scientist, but he was also hard core and didn't see patients.
  9. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    By the way, being truly hard core is having a funded lab and also seeing patients.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal