About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by TUGM, Aug 14, 2013.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. TUGM

TUGM

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have an issue with LORs that I'd like to run by the more experienced. I rotated in my Neurology elective early, as I've known for a long time I wanted to go into a neuroscience-based specialty. The attendings I worked with, however, both quit shortly after I rotated (not because of me!) due to the high pressure of the job at my institution. Therefore, we have not had neurology coverage for the past 2 years. My mentor is an interventional neurologist at a private hospital associated with our medical school.

So basically, I am only able to obtain ONE letter from a Neurologist. My other letters include 1-2 letters from IM attendings I worked very closely with in an inpatient and outpatient setting and 1 letter from the director of internal medicine/neurobiology research at a strong midwest university hospital system. I have tried multiple times to contact my previous neurology attendings to no avail...

Am I going to be discounted during interview selection because I have only 1 neurology letter? All I want to do is be a brain doctor!!:love:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. drzing

drzing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would try to get a letter from your department chair.
  3. TUGM

TUGM

Medical Student
    It's funny because we don't have one... Yeah big shortage of neurologists in our area.
  4. bblue

bblue Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You have nothing to worry about. One letter from a neurologist is ample. Other letters should come from people who know you the best and will speak highly of you. The research letter will be a big boost and help you stand out as well. Don't fret.
  5. 807crash

807crash

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You are fine.

I actually didn't have a single letter from a Neurologist. Because of the rotations/requirements at my Med school and the early match, I hadn't even completed my Neurology rotation yet when I had already started applying!

It is more important to have strong letters from people who know you well, and/or strong names/chair in a rotation you did very well in.

I used letters from internal medicine, OB/GYN and my research advisor. In my interviews at the program I ultimately matched at, they made a point of mentioning I had strong letters and did well in my rotations. That's what mattered.

Of course, you should be able to answer the question "Why Neurology?" like a pro.
  6. TUGM

TUGM

Medical Student
    As always, thank you everyone, for your insightful responses.

One further question: My research letter will be from a PhD, not an M.D. I'm assuming it shouldn't be too much of a problem? Am I correct in assuming this?
  7. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    If it were me, I'd take it more seriously!

8. 807crash

807crash

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My research letter was from a PhD, and I think that is great. In fact, it may suggest a slightly more hard core lab/research experience. I also had a letter from a research experience with an MD/PhD scientist, but he was also hard core and didn't see patients.
  9. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    By the way, being truly hard core is having a funded lab and also seeing patients.