letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalMan123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, what is the best way and time to ask for letters of recommendation? Better to ask in person or via email?
Any faculty preferences towards PEFs? Any faculty preferences towards PPIs?
For example, can a research supervisor (non-clinic faculty) write a PEF?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, what is the best way and time to ask for letters of recommendation? Better to ask in person or via email?
Any faculty preferences towards PEFs? Any faculty preferences towards PPIs?
For example, can a research supervisor (non-clinic faculty) write a PEF?
Thanks
From what I read and understood from the university requirements, they usually say that a minimum of three letters are needed. One from the dean, and two FACULTY members ... a professor who lectures only for example and a clinical supervisor are best recommended.

The reason I ask is because my research supervisor knows me the best, he is a faculty member, but a Phd (not DDS or DMD), and only teaches one course about dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I asked for letters I came with a nice folder with the following documents inside: a printed copy of my transcript, a brief autobiographical page, my personal statement with added sections on why I want to be a dentist and my goals as a dental professional, a resume and the form that they needed to fill out to submit letters (specific to my university). For two of the professors (who I did not know as well) I brought a small gift (I knew that one of the professors loved dried mangos and the other is a chocoholic so it was easy) and gave it to them then as well. I was dressed professionally and did all of this in person obviously... overall, the letter writers were all very impressed and wrote outstanding letters (I know because when I applied for the Army later on they let me see them). :)

Should I ask them if they would be willing to do it before bringing the folder with the info and everything? What if I do not have all of that ready when I ask them?
Isn't a gift a bribe and seen as tacky and unprofessional?

Can a research supervisor write a PEF or is that for PPIs?