About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by TekkenDanser, May 18, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. TekkenDanser

TekkenDanser Low-Key User

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This thread seeks advice on letters of recommendation for both med school and MS programs (my plan: MS 2004-2006 and MD 2006-2010).

Traditionally, applicants from my undergraduate university employ the services of a pre-med office for a committee letter. Even though I have followed up with my pre-med office, I have begun to feel that it may be working against me. Part of the procedure for obtaining a pre-med committee letter is having an interview with the associate dean, and the interview did not bode well. She basically emphasized over and over how weak of an applicant I am (3.0 overall GPA, 2.9 science GPA, 27R MCAT). So, I've been contemplating whether or not I should forfeit the pre-med committee letter, considering that it will be composed by this dean and will most likely be a negative one. The good thing about the office is that it takes care of all the organizational details and transmissions of letters. I don't have to worry about keeping up with individual professors, and because transmission is digitally/electronically sent from my school, I also don't have to worry about letters getting lost via snail-mail. Ugh...PRO's vs. CON's?!?!?!

Do schools question/grow suspicious of an applicant who does not use his/her pre-med office?

Is there any way to use the services of a pre-med office without involving the dean's writing a letter?

What other methods exist to fulfill the letters of recommendation requirement? What is the most efficient and effective way?

Unfortunately, I live on the opposite coast of where I used to attend school (I graduated in May 2003 with a BS), so recruiting professors for letters is rather difficult unless it's not too impersonal or disrespectful to do so over e-mail. Is it? Besides...I went through the 2004 med school admissions cycle with rejections across the board, and one aspect that I want to avoid during re-application is the hassles of individual letters of recommendation. It compelled CONSTANT nagging and reminders for each professor to meet deadlines, some of which ended up being neglected anyway!

I appreciate all advice on this subject. Thanks!
  2. nina512

nina512 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Having sent individual letter in the past, I understand the hassle. That's why this year, I'm going to use my grad school's recommendation file service. The recommender only sends 1 (copy) letter to the service, which is then copied and distributed as a packet with other LORs to the schools of your choice.

If your school doesn't do this, I think there is a company called interfolio (I think) that will provide the same service for a fee.

Good luck!
    Nina