Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szetok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

My school has a letter of recommendation file service but it sends the letters in paper form to pharmcas and I will need the Pharmcas reference request form with my letters. When is the earliest we can get those forms through Pharmcas? (So I guess I'm asking is the soonest we can open the application for this form?) Also, I heard some schools don't accept these packet letters. Is that true?

I'm in a situation where I'm leaving from my internship mid-May and would like to get my letter before I leave but I don't think I can get the reference forms yet to go with the letter.

Suggestions? Help?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When is the earliest we can get those forms through Pharmcas?

When I applied last year, it was June.

Also, I heard some schools don't accept these packet letters. Is that true?

I think most schools accept letter through pharmcas. If you are sending them to pharmcas, it should be fine. I would double check with pharmcas or the school though.

I'm in a situation where I'm leaving from my internship mid-May and would like to get my letter before I leave but I don't think I can get the reference forms yet to go with the letter.

I would go ahead and talk with the people who are writing you the recommendation letters NOW. It is actually easier for them if they send rec. letter electronically. I am a bit confused why you need to go through your school for rec. letter. Then during your internship, contact your recommenders to remind them to send the letter out by a specific date.

kcwang, :love:

PS, PharmCAS also includes a standardized evaluation form the LoR writer will need to fill out. I'm not sure how your school's letter file will handle that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there are schools that do not accept LORs through PharmCAS. These schools are a pain in the ass and need to move into 2012. Asking someone to send letters out repeatedly is obnoxious. With that being said, most school accept them through PharmCAS.

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I opened the school file for me because they keep our letters for a few years so just in case I didn't get in after the first time. haha. And also for the schools that don't participate in pharmcas, the school will send them out for me. Are the standardized evaluation the Reference request forms or separate forms?

Yes, there are schools that do not accept LORs through PharmCAS. These schools are a pain in the ass and need to move into 2012. Asking someone to send letters out repeatedly is obnoxious. With that being said, most school accept them through PharmCAS.

I am fortunate to have responsive recommenders. I have heard stories where recommender either forgot to send out letter or backed out in the last minute.

Congrats xtsukiyox,
Just noticed you are an Assist. Mod. :thumbup:
I was wondering for the longest time why they didnt make you a Mod before, you're like the most responsive and helpful member on SDN.

D'aww. Thanks kcwang. :D

I have had to ask one reviewer twice for an LoR, once for PharmCAS & once for a scholarship (luckily both are electronic - but that also means I've never actually seen what he wrote! :p). The requests were about 6 months apart. He once told me that he feels like the LoRs are part of his job, since he runs a clinic largely staffed by volunteers. I'll have to ask him if I'm starting to be an inconvenience if I have to ask for more...

Are the standardized evaluation the Reference request forms or separate forms?

Yes, there is an evaluation form you'd print which has to be completed & attached to the letter, then sent straight to PharmCAS (from the school / evaluator).

It may have a barcode that corresponds with your application. I can't remember. I know the official transcript forms do.

ICongrats xtsukiyox,
Just noticed you are an Assist. Mod. :thumbup:
I was wondering for the longest time why they didnt make you a Mod before, you're like the most responsive and helpful member on SDN.

I agree. Sorta makes me feel bad for all the sarcasm (not really).

Just another question! Do you think LOR from seminar professors are okay? I wrote three papers and did one presentation for him so I think he knows my work well and I got to know him pretty well!

Thank you!

just another question! Do you think lor from seminar professors are okay? I wrote three papers and did one presentation for him so i think he knows my work well and i got to know him pretty well!

Thank you!

bump! :)

Just another question! Do you think LOR from seminar professors are okay? I wrote three papers and did one presentation for him so I think he knows my work well and I got to know him pretty well!

Thank you!

You need to check with specific school. My friend had one LOR from a seminar professor and he didnt run into any trouble, so I think you should be fine.

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/ReqTypebySchool0910.pdf

ps. you should ask him to write you a LOR now (which is the perfect time)