Letting the Amalgam Set before Carving the Restoration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyenkimphat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I was told that, after the condensation of the amalgam filling is done, you must allow the amalgam filling to SET before you begin carving the filling. "Excess amalgam should be left over the margins until the initial set of the amalgam has occurred, and after that, the excess amalgam should be removed with sharp carvers during the carving procedure. Wait for the INITIAL SET of the amalgam before beginning the carving of the restoration."

My question:
What exactly is the "initial set" of the amalgam?
How do you tell (visually?) if the amalgam has initially set and when to begin carving? Do you look at the surface of the amalgam filling?
What does it mean when the amalgam filling has "set" ?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, the best way to learn is to see it set and carve it for yourself.

seriously, ask someone for help at your school. why are you paying all of this money if you're not going to take advantage of the resources? remember, everyone was in your shoes at some point, and these are good questions.

Reactions: 1 user
The amalgam sets pretty quickly. As a student, my bigger worry would be finish carving before the amalgam set completely into a solid metal.

quick rundown, though: triturate your amalgam, pack it in using your smallest condenser, and work your way up in condenser size and make sure your margins are sealed (easier to do with larger condensers). burnishers aren't the recommended method of sealing margins anymore (as suggested in scientific literature), so you may or may not use that depending on your school. wait a little bit until the amalgam has some give to it....use a discoid cleoid (my personal preference) start out in the central fossa and just follow the cusps. at the end, use a cotton roll and run it gently over your amalgam to clean it up.