leukemias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

era

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i read leukemias from kaplan review but there is no basic understanding...someone pls tell me about leukemias:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i read leukemias from kaplan review but there is no basic understanding...someone pls tell me about leukemias:confused:

hi..leukemias are malignancy of wbc...there can be 3 types..depending on the cells involved
1.monocytic -very rare
2.lymphocytic
3.myelocytic-that is when granulocytes r involved

classified acc. to duration as
1.acute
2.chronic

Acute are very lethal..there course is rapid..patients die if untreated..always the cells are blast type..that is poorly differentiated
1.ALL - mostly in infants and children...can be cured
2.AML - seen in adults

Chronic are more differentiated cells.. longer course..
1.CLL - seen in adults
2.CML - adults..ass. with philidelphia chromosome..translocation of long arm of 22 to 9...

allways remember that chronic leukemias will show more spleenomegaly and hepatomegaly then acute ones..the rest of the symtoms are almost similar..kaplan states them..and also ALL is more prone to develop in children with Down's syndrome..EB virus is also considered in etiology of Chronic.. i think this should help...anyone wants to add any more details..most welcomed...all the best.

hi..leukemias are malignancy of wbc...there can be 3 types..depending on the cells involved
1.monocytic -very rare
2.lymphocytic
3.myelocytic-that is when granulocytes r involved

classified acc. to duration as
1.acute
2.chronic

Acute are very lethal..there course is rapid..patients die if untreated..always the cells are blast type..that is poorly differentiated
1.ALL - mostly in infants and children...can be cured
2.AML - seen in adults

Chronic are more differentiated cells.. longer course..
1.CLL - seen in adults
2.CML - adults..ass. with philidelphia chromosome..translocation of long arm of 22 to 9...

allways remember that chronic leukemias will show more spleenomegaly and hepatomegaly then acute ones..the rest of the symtoms are almost similar..kaplan states them..and also ALL is more prone to develop in children with Down's syndrome..EB virus is also considered in etiology of Chronic.. i think this should help...anyone wants to add any more details..most welcomed...all the best.
Are you sure EBv is seen in chronic, I was thinking ALL. Can u double check that please?