About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

level of difficulty of the actual PCAT

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by futurpharmacis, Sep 16, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. futurpharmacis

futurpharmacis

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    for those who have taken the actual PCAT recently, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much harder was it compared to the practice Pearson PCATs?
  2. xtsukiyox

xtsukiyox Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure I understand the 1-10 scale. I guess I'd put it at an even 5, because I felt the material was neither easier nor harder than the PCAT practice tests.

I found it easier to concentrate for the "real deal" than the PCAT practice tests - fewer distractions - and I was able to settle down from tester's anxiety a little better than I thought I would be able to. I kind of wish I had practiced writing the essays, just because they do add an hour to the test & I felt my mental stamina was tested somewhat. However, the first essay in particular seemed like a good warm up for beginning the test - better than just jumping straight into Verbal.
  3. CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Pre-Pharmacy
    Chemistry - easier
    Quant - harder
    Reading Comp - harder
    BIO - same
    Analogies/setence completion - easier
  4. chemtopharm

chemtopharm

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :thumbup: I agree completely. Quant especially was rough, the time limit flies by!
  5. Selladore

Selladore

Pre-Pharmacy
    I thought the difficulty level was similar to the actual PCAT test.
  6. iBeast

iBeast

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    For those of you who say the Quant is harder... is the material harder or you just weren't quick enough?
  7. frankdahtank

frankdahtank

Pharmacy Student
    The quant was surprisingly difficult and I don't think that any specific test or study guide will prepare you enough for it. I mean Collin's was great don't get me wrong, but some of the questions were just way too difficult. I seriously almost crapped my pants at one point during the quant section. I looked at the clock and had 10 minutes left to do 18 questions, which didn't included marked questions either. I almost had a panic attack but I just settled down and seriously just skipped/guessed on questions I felt would take too long. I either got really lucky and/or got every questions I actually answered correct. Either that or everyone else did really poorly so my mediocre score turned out to not be that bad.
  8. iBeast

iBeast

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    What do you mean it was way too difficult? Like you flat out had no idea how to approach the problem or were they word problems that you had a hard time understanding? Or was it questions types you have never practiced before?

Sorry for all the questions :)
  9. R2pharmD2

R2pharmD2 Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    Seems like a lot of people struggle with the math portion of the exam. I definitely had some timing issues too though. I knew how to do the stuff, but had to rush through the end rather than run out of time, and I finished every other section with time to spare.
  10. futurpharmacis

futurpharmacis

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting on the Quant section?
  11. frankdahtank

frankdahtank

Pharmacy Student
    Well some of the questions I didn't know how to do and there were other questions that I didn't know the definition of certain topics so I couldn't really answer the questions. The time factor doesn't help because I could probably work out most of the questions if I had like 2 hours instead of 40 minutes, but I think most people feel that way. Just prepare to feel like you got raped and still come out okay.

My scores are on the score thread for sept 19th.
  12. futurpharmacis

futurpharmacis

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Was the passages of the reading comprehenision too long or too technical or the questions were difficult?:)
  13. frankdahtank

frankdahtank

Pharmacy Student
    Passages were very long and the questions always seemed to have two possible correct answers, so you had to pick the "BEST" one.