Levinson micro and immuno is godly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This book is amazing.... Sorry to randomnly rave aboutthis but after consulting micro made simple and microcards and with a test about to come, im Amazed at how superficial and disorganized the other resources are. When it comes down to it the goofy pictures are helpful sure in Cmmrs but when you have many diseases and different minutia such as reservoir, transmisson, no source gives you the facts for test taking in any manner than Levinson. The beauty of it is the pathogenesis, especially the immunopqth, of every disease and the priceless pearls and tables....and the insanely initial 80 page overview on a general overview of bacterial diseases. The book lays down the law and explains stuff so naturally that it doesn feel like a review at all but how should i say this, Logical. I know people rave hr immuno part of this book but i think the microbiology section in 400 pages is pure beauty as well.

So yeah, i guess im a bit bunmed with an exam coming up and realize i dont jack but with levinson, i feel like wow everything is nicely elucidated especially in a case based vignette style that is the nature of how micro should be understood.

Any other advocates?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I think this is a great book as well. I call it a "goldilocks book" because it doesn't have too much info, not too little info... it has just the right amount in my opinion. I don't feel like I am getting a bare bones outline like many review books, but I also don't feel like I'm reading a big text like Medical Microbiology. I'm also an advocate for the whole thing, and not just the quickie immuno part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm now I'm tempted to dish out my copy and at least read the immuno section for review.

Lol im a first year grinding through the micro and immuno...te beauty of levinson outside of its cut to the chase approach is it explains the pathogenesis of disease and integrates the host immuno response....micro and immuno are NOT to be learned independently is my point and i found myself annotating the crap out of cmmrs with immuno, path, and epidemiology to the already exhaustive tables and pictures...at the end of the day i think levinson tells the best and more importantly CoMplete story although not super visual...the 2008 version is 500 pages with immuno and a bazillion pics like cmmrs so go figure that its prob just as condensed and more thorough

Sorry to add, i mean do you guys agree...

I mean you're gonna learn the PHARM in 2nd year and you're gonna learn the PATH in 2nd year for these microbes correct?

This book does a great teaching all aspects of a disease from source all the way down to the terminal stage. Not very illustrious but still a story of each disease nonetheless which I'm sure we have to know for the boards?

What do you guys make of this?