This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzy.grant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did search as well as I could manage and did not come up with any similar results (I'm a new member).

I'm an LGBT pre-med, and I'm applying to med schools in areas that are a less gay-friendly than I would like (Southern US). I'm not so much worried about discrimination once I'm there, I'm more concerned about discrimination within the admissions committees.

In my course work, I have the option of taking some LGBT classes to fulfill some requirements. I could, alternatively, take some courses in gender and medicine, but I'm really interested in this LGBT department class, even though it has nothing to do with medicine. I am close with the professor, and she may be writing one of my non-science rec letters. Would this association hurt my chances/ would there perhaps be some subtle bigotry in the admissions process? Would I be better off keeping LBGT issues off my transcript?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to analyze every course on your transcript and reject you for a LGBT-themed class! On the remote chance they do, you don't want to attend that school in the first place. :)

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think you should keep LGBT issues off your transcript because I believe that's a good "diversity factor." I don't recommend attending a school that you don't or won't feel comfortable at. Building connections with adcom members will also be important in later years of med school, like before applying to residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take it.

The only class you should be nervous about having on your transcript is "Why Hitler was a Hero: A Retrospective Analysis".

Reactions: 8 users
Two of my letter writers address have something LGBTQ-specific about their recommendations (one for a non-science class called Gender, Sexuality, and Science, and the other for an extracurricular). My (actually really great) premed advisor recommended that I get my non-science letter from from a professor whose class was about sexuality, I think because diversity is something adcoms really value. I'm currently in the process of applying so I can't say how that's worked out for me, but the positive experiences in this thread give me hope. Also, my advisor actually does know his stuff and routinely sends people to top tier medical schools.

To answer your question, no one will care about a single LGBT class on your transcript; chances are, they won't even look at the specific classes that you took. So take the class if you want to!

If you want to identify as LGBT on your application, be it through checking a box or more subtly through letters of rec and extra curriculars, then yes, there may be some subtle bigotry on the part of whoever is reading your application. I think that possibility is far outweighed by the benefits of appearing both diverse and genuinely passionate about something, but that's a call you will have to make. Just remember that if something if on your application, it's fair game to ask about in interviews. Also, that "just" being LGBT won't necessarily convince adcoms that you're the student that will definitely add diversity to their classes. Proving that your identity has an impact on how you are as a person and a future physician (read: through experiences/extra curriculars) will get you much farther.

tl;dr take the class, worry about the letter of rec/outing yourself later

Reactions: 1 users
I took a diversity class that did "out" me and I was asked what sparked my interest in the topic and if I myself identified with the group in question......
just saying, some schools are paying closer attention than you think, but don't think I mean to say you shouldn't take it, you should

I took a diversity class that did "out" me and I was asked what sparked my interest in the topic and if I myself identified with the group in question......
just saying, some schools are paying closer attention than you think, but don't think I mean to say you shouldn't take it, you should
What!? How did this conversation go? "I see you took XYZ. Tell me about your sexuality?"

Edit: Also what state's the school in?

Two of my letter writers address have something LGBTQ-specific about their recommendations (one for a non-science class called Gender, Sexuality, and Science, and the other for an extracurricular). My (actually really great) premed advisor recommended that I get my non-science letter from from a professor whose class was about sexuality, I think because diversity is something adcoms really value. I'm currently in the process of applying so I can't say how that's worked out for me, but the positive experiences in this thread give me hope. Also, my advisor actually does know his stuff and routinely sends people to top tier medical schools.

To answer your question, no one will care about a single LGBT class on your transcript; chances are, they won't even look at the specific classes that you took. So take the class if you want to!

If you want to identify as LGBT on your application, be it through checking a box or more subtly through letters of rec and extra curriculars, then yes, there may be some subtle bigotry on the part of whoever is reading your application. I think that possibility is far outweighed by the benefits of appearing both diverse and genuinely passionate about something, but that's a call you will have to make. Just remember that if something if on your application, it's fair game to ask about in interviews. Also, that "just" being LGBT won't necessarily convince adcoms that you're the student that will definitely add diversity to their classes. Proving that your identity has an impact on how you are as a person and a future physician (read: through experiences/extra curriculars) will get you much farther.

tl;dr take the class, worry about the letter of rec/outing yourself later

Thank you for the thoughtful input! I'm not sure how much I want to emphasize it on my application yet. I may explore the web pages of some schools, and do a little digging. To be honest, it is a huge part of my identity and I think it may be important to include it. GWS and LGBT studies will always be something I'm passionate about.

I'm a little bit more concerned than I usually am, because my top schools are in Texas (Baylor) and MO (Washington University in St. Louis). Do admissions committees tend to be conservative?

Last edited:
What!? How did this conversation go? "I see you took XYZ. Tell me about your sexuality?"

Edit: Also what state's the school in?

not that kind of diversity, didn't "out" me that way

they wanted the diversity and to small talk me

just saying, don't expect that "underwater basketweaving" course or any little detail not to come up at all on invterviews

I'm a little bit more concerned than I usually am, because my top schools are in Texas (Baylor) and LA (Washington University in St. Louis). Do admissions committees tend to be conservative?
What do you mean by LA? St. Louis is MO.

And schools of Baylor and WashU's caliber will not likely be anti-LGBT. They will probably be looking at least a few of us to be in the entering class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're applying to MCG, Loma Linda or LUCOM, I would worry less about Adcom's attitudes than I would about the attitudes in the areas where the schools are.

Take whatever interests you and do well in it. That's what counts.

Also keep in mind that many of the southern US schools are state schools, are will be uber-IS friendly, if not outright OOS-unfriendly.

Hi everyone!

I'm an LGBT pre-med, and I'm applying to med schools in areas that are a less gay-friendly than I would like (Southern US). I'm not so much worried about discrimination once I'm there, I'm more concerned about discrimination within the admissions committees.

In my course work, I have the option of taking some LGBT classes to fulfill some requirements. I could, alternatively, take some courses in gender and medicine, but I'm really interested in this LGBT department class, even though it has nothing to do with medicine. I am close with the professor, and she may be writing one of my non-science rec letters. Would this association hurt my chances/ would there perhaps be some subtle bigotry in the admissions process? Would I be better off keeping LBGT issues off my transcript?

Thanks guys!

Ditto this.

Also, Baylor is quite OOS unfriendly (or, more accurately, hyper competitive for OOS. Lot's of smart Texans in TX.)

U Chicago and JHU consider LGBT to be URM, BTW.

And schools of Baylor and WashU's caliber will not likely be anti-LGBT. They will probably be looking at least a few of us to be in the entering class.

U Chicago and JHU consider LGBT to be URM, BTW.
How is that so? Discussion of sexuality in the workplace is unprofessional and generally shouldn't be asked about isn't it?

How is that so? Discussion of sexuality in the workplace is unprofessional and generally shouldn't be asked about isn't it?

c'mon kid, open your mind a little

you don't have to disclose the things that make you minority/diverse, just people choose to on their app

there are things you are not allowed to specifically ask if not already revealed by an interview candidate during an interview yes,

but also, it's well within accepted professional norms to ask actual colleagues, students, etc about their families, if they have significant others, children, etc, that is usually how sexual orientation comes up in an organic and not sexually harassing manner at work

Reactions: 2 users
sorry i had to post this here because am new and i dont know where to post my questions
hello every one
am a prospective international student from (country withheld) currently doing a bachelors in computer information systems. after graduating, i would like to go to medical school but my GPA is not that good(2.5).
i would like to consider doing a masters degree for two years or doing a second degree (4 years) in bio chemistry or math(because am good at math and i like it). Doing a second degree, i will have to first attend community college then later transfer. Then I'll apply to med school(will work hard to get a high GPA). Am not certain about which way am going

c'mon kid, open your mind a little

you don't have to disclose the things that make you minority/diverse, just people choose to on their app

there are things you are not allowed to specifically ask if not already revealed by an interview candidate during an interview yes,

but also, it's well within accepted professional norms to ask actual colleagues, students, etc about their families, if they have significant others, children, etc, that is usually how sexual orientation comes up in an organic and not sexually harassing manner at work
Well I'm sorry for being close minded as the immature kid I am. Afterall, it's not like I have any life experience or anything so what can I do besides ask?

And I didn't really see the benefits of diversity based on sexuality because I assumed it would only show on paper. I my mind I viewed it like this. A workplace is LGBT friendly, but I thought discussion of a persons sexuality was one of those unprofessional things like pay. And I guess I didn't mean unprofessional, but more of something your employers don't want you to discuss in the workplace. Afterall, not everyone is a liberal.

sorry i had to post this here because am new and i dont know where to post my questions
hello every one
am a prospective international student from (country withheld) currently doing a bachelors in computer information systems. after graduating, i would like to go to medical school but my GPA is not that good(2.5).
i would like to consider doing a masters degree for two years or doing a second degree (4 years) in bio chemistry or math(because am good at math and i like it). Doing a second degree, i will have to first attend community college then later transfer. Then I'll apply to med school(will work hard to get a high GPA). Am not certain about which way am going

You are more likely to get responses in this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/. Make a new thread there.

To the OP, I agree that you should be open with your identity if you're out already and comfortable with schools knowing this side of you (by the way, I wouldn't automatically assume that just because you've taken LGBT-related courses a school will think that you are LGBT). While I can understand not wanting to be "discriminated" against, as others have mentioned that would probably be a blessing in disguise: you probably don't want to end up at those places anyway. As most medical schools are fairly progressive, I doubt this would be an issue. Even in the south this can be the case. I'm at residency program in the south and of the 15 people in my class, 3 are gay. This is very typical throughout the program. Hell, a few weeks ago we had a 4-hour set of didactics that was all about LGBT issues.

I think that your concern is a bit overblown, and just based on the info you provided here I doubt that anyone will make the assumption that you're LGBT. And if it does happen, again, that may be a bit of a blessing as you probably don't want to end up at a place like that anyway.

Well I'm sorry for being close minded as the immature kid I am. Afterall, it's not like I have any life experience or anything so what can I do besides ask?

And I didn't really see the benefits of diversity based on sexuality because I assumed it would only show on paper. I my mind I viewed it like this. A workplace is LGBT friendly, but I thought discussion of a persons sexuality was one of those unprofessional things like pay. And I guess I didn't mean unprofessional, but more of something your employers don't want you to discuss in the workplace. Afterall, not everyone is a liberal.

It is illegal to ask about sexual orientation in job interviews. That may very well be the case in school interviews, but I know that at my school we were directly told to not ask about sexual orientation (among other things) unless the interviewee brought up the issue themselves. For some folks, involvement with LGBT-related things is important to them and something they want to continue doing, thus they may bring it up during an interview even if they aren't asked.

I meant kid in an affectionate way that electrons can't quite get across
imagine them gently ruffling your hair

You don't have to be liberal to not be a bigot (?). Like Crayola said, a LGBT person talking about their life is no different than a straight person talking about their wife and kids or dating life. If a workplace has a problem with colleagues discussing those things then those employers are wayyyyy too overbearing and it's time to find a new job.

Example normal work convo:
Colleague: "Hey Mansamusa, why don't you and the misses come over to have dinner with me and the wife?"
Me: "Sure, but the misses is a man."

A LGBT person isn't gonna respond: "It is inappropriate to discuss my outside life with you, so good day sir."

And this has been discussed before: Diversity isn't just about skin color. It is a diversity of life experiences/understanding/insight. Schools aren't just looking for diversity for photo ops; the diversity serves a purpose

Last edited:

I think you're slightly missing the point here.
Example: Mary is new in town, she finds PCP on her insurance Find Me a Provider website, its close and has decent prices. She goes in and starts talking to the PCP about some new problems on her medication. Well, Mary's medication is really a litany of hormone drugs and others to make sure her biochemistry is finely tuned to keep Mary a she, not the "he" that was incorrectly assigned to her at birth.
The PCP says he's uncomfortable treating her and walks off, or worse doesn't say anything and knows next to nothing about the subject and puts her on a poor management plan.
This also applies to those in SSM/partnerships... Do you have any idea how awkward it can be when you have to tell the PCP/nurses that no, thats not my sibling, but their spouse and they glare at you like you're a five headed dragon?
This is why diversity is needed in medicine. Not just the doctors being diverse, but also the diverse interacting with other doctors and helping to educate on certain subsets of populations.

Haha, I was in the middle of a conversation about Louisiana (a friend is going to Tulane for undergrad) while I was typing that, must have gotten mixed up in the process of typing.

Thanks!

For what it's worth LGBT activism was a big part of my ECs and I was admitted to multiple southern med schools. It was brought up in most my interviews and it never felt like a hindrance.

Unless the school has a reputation for being unfriendly towards the LGBT community (like the ones Goro mentioned) then it shouldn't be looked at negatively on your transcript.

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did search as well as I could manage and did not come up with any similar results (I'm a new member).

Thanks guys!

I get that the LGBT community gets looked down on alot, especially in the south, but I dont see why sexuality would ever come up. Like I dont think it should be mentioned because i doubt adcoms would really care. Include the courses, but dont really harp on it.

I get that the LGBT community gets looked down on alot, especially in the south, but I dont see why sexuality would ever come up. Like I dont think it should be mentioned because i doubt adcoms would really care. Include the courses, but dont really harp on it.

Contrary that what you may think, your poorly informed opinion really isn't helpful here.

Reference article above.

Contrary that what you may think, your poorly informed opinion really isn't helpful here.

>Be me, see person comment on LGBT thread

>Doesn't agree with what I think

>Triggered

>must be poorly informed white cis male

>thinks he knows everything

>must bring Social Justice Crusade to SDN

lol k. What makes you think that medical schools care about your LGBTQ status? If they wanted sexual orientation info it would be in in the Identifying Info section of AMCAS. Maybe one day that will become part of what defines URM status and rightly so, but now it isn't relevant. Sorry.

Last edited:

>Triggered

>must bring Social Justice to SDN

lol k. What makes you think that medical schools care about your LGBTQ status? If they wanted sexual orientation info it would be in in the Identifying Info section of AMCAS. Maybe one day that will become part of what defines URM status and rightly so, but now it isn't relevant. Sorry.
Some schools ask. Other schools have this essay that talks about diversity...which includes LGBT status.

As for triggered, I don't think that word means what you think it means...or else you just don't know how to use it correctly

A very short Google search would give you a lot of information about why LGBTQ diversity is a positive, both for the medical schools and the applicants. Since you're pre-med, you might be interested in the AAMC report, or their initiative to test out broadening LGBTQ health topics in the medical school curriculum. Or any of the schools that are actively recruiting LGBTQ students.

I just can never understand why someone would look at a thread and think "this thread has nothing to do with me and I have no actual information to offer...but I definitely should say something!"

I'll continue to discuss my sexuality right into medical school, thank you. I'm sorry you're so worked up by that.

A very short Google search would give you a lot of information about why LGBTQ diversity is a positive, both for the medical schools and the applicants. Since you're pre-med, you might be interested in the AAMC report, or their initiative to test out broadening LGBTQ health topics in the medical school curriculum. Or any of the schools that are actively recruiting LGBTQ students.

I just can never understand why someone would look at a thread and think "this thread has nothing to do with me and I have no actual information to offer...but I definitely should say something!"

I'll continue to discuss my sexuality right into medical school, thank you. I'm sorry you're so worked up by that.

Im not worked up, youre the one that went all SJW because i said sexual orientation was irrelevant.

I never said that it did not contribute to diversity or that diversity was bad (yes ive seen the studies yo referenced). I said it isn't and should not be relevant outside of your personal life. Part of medicine is providing quality and impartial care to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, skin color, or disability. Being a member of a certain demographic does not make you a better doctor. it can help get you the education, but its how you apply that education that differentiates your quality as a physician from others. If you think you need to be a member of a certain demographic to provide that demographic with better care, then you misunderstand the role of a medical professional. Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Transgender, White, black, purple; it should not matter in this day and age. We should be beyond the stage in society where sexuality and skin color dictate the type of care the patient receives. By assuming these inequalities are unavoidable we perpetuate them.

Amazingly, your personal life does actually impact your health. For example, lesbian and bisexual women are at higher risk for breast cancer than heterosexual women, in part because they're less likely to have children or spend long periods of time on birth control. LGBTQ youth report some of the highest levels of suicide, depression, and homelessness of all populations. All of these statistics are new, because it wasn't until very recently that it occurred to the medical profession that LGBTQ health encompasses more than STI prevention (though it you look at the CDC's fact sheet on gay and bisexual men, you still wouldn't know that). Without LGBTQ physicians and researchers, we still wouldn't have that data.

You can't provide quality care without knowing what your patients' biggest risk factors are. That's one reason almost 90% of transgender patients don't believe there are enough medical professionals who know how to take care of them. 50% reported having to teach their medical providers about their own health. A transgender physician would certainly be able to provide better care than the majority of physicians currently practicing.

And unfortunately, sexuality does still dictate the type of care a patient receives. You will see patients who have been discriminated against and are uncomfortable seeing a physician or taking their advice. I agree we should be beyond caring, but we simply aren't there yet.

Anyways, if you had read the thread you would have been able to answer for yourself why sexuality may come up in an interview. At least one person reported being outed because they had an LGBTQ-centric class on their transcript. You're entitled to your opinion, but if I can find >5 medical schools who are actively recruiting LGBTQ students then it's pertinent whether you agree with it or not.

Im not worked up, youre the one that went all SJW because i said sexual orientation was irrelevant.

I never said that it did not contribute to diversity or that diversity was bad (yes ive seen the studies yo referenced). I said it isn't and should not be relevant outside of your personal life. Part of medicine is providing quality and impartial care to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, skin color, or disability. Being a member of a certain demographic does not make you a better doctor. it can help get you the education, but its how you apply that education that differentiates your quality as a physician from others. If you think you need to be a member of a certain demographic to provide that demographic with better care, then you misunderstand the role of a medical professional. Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Transgender, White, black, purple; it should not matter in this day and age. We should be beyond the stage in society where sexuality and skin color dictate the type of care the patient receives. By assuming these inequalities are unavoidable we perpetuate them.
Ed*26 did not get worked up though.

How can you say it isn't relevant when 1) personal life comes up with colleagues all the time? 2) medicine is personal?

Sharing a demographic with a patient can most definitely help a physician provide better care. It helps you to know what to look for with patients and it helps a patient trust you. It doesn't matter how good of doctor you are, if your patient doesn't trust you, you will not provide good care (unless it is surgery and the patient is unconscious). You don't have to be a member of the same demographic as the patient to provide good care, but it helps and a LGBT physician is more likely to get involved in addressing LGBT social determinants of health.

I have never come out to a physician, and I personally will never come out to a physician who isn't a woman or gay. So increasing the diversity of the field will make it more likely for me to receive comprehensive care.

Also, I just want some gay role models. I'm interested in surgery and I've never met a gay surgeon. I know medicine is conservative and surgery is the most conservative area of medicine. It would be nice to have guidance in navigating residency applications, etc from a mentor. It is my hope that I will get the chance to give as a mentor for the gaybies when I am an attending. So it is very much relevant to me what the sexuality is of other physicians- even though it is not relevant for you

Last edited:
As others have said, if that's an issue, you probably don't want to go to those schools anyways, OP. Be proud of who you are! I realize you want to apply to as many schools as you can to increase your chances, so apply, but if you're rejected for whatever reason, then so be it.

>Triggered
>must bring Social Justice to SDN

Green text. Fixed that for you : P

Is accusing someone of being "triggered" the trendy new kind of ad-hominem attack?

Some schools ask. Other schools have this essay that talks about diversity...which includes LGBT status.

As for triggered, I don't think that word means what you think it means...or else you just don't know how to use it correctly

It is illegal to ask about sexual orientation.

Is accusing someone of being "triggered" the trendy new kind of ad-hominem attack?

Nah, its just a way to make fun of people who want to turn issues into keyboard warrior battles.

Example:
3d3.jpg

Its just fun sometimes to give the uptight SDN members some crap over this kind of stuff. They take it way to serious and make it a debate. Hilarity ensues. Im just antagonizing for the sake of antagonizing. I actually agree Mansamusa and ed*26 on a lot of points and am all for LGBTQ equality.

I applied "out" and had many a discussion about the surrounding circumstances in my interviews; well, that among other things that populated my app

Got accepted to a southern school btw.

Last edited:
Nah, its just a way to make fun of people who want to turn issues into keyboard warrior battles.

Example:
3d3.jpg

Its just fun sometimes to give the uptight SDN members some crap over this kind of stuff. They take it way to serious and make it a debate. Hilarity ensues. Im just antagonizing for the sake of antagonizing. I actually agree Mansamusa and ed*26 on a lot of points and am all for LGBTQ equality.
So then you're a pre-teen boy?

No one said anything in this thread that can be construed as SJW talk or "triggering," so you're not even correct in your attempts at being annoying.

And "make fun of people who want to turn issues into keyboard warrior battles," as in what you just did? No argument until you showed up. If you're gonna be a troll you need to at least have some intelligence behind what your writing.

Edit: You say that people take this too seriously.. OP and other applicants like the OP have valid concerns about applying "out" based on experiences that you may or may not understand and you were needlessly trying to worry them for no purpose other than being a dingus

Last edited:

Example:
3d3.jpg

I actually wasn't confused about the meaning of the word.

I hope when you are a doctor your bedside manner is more trauma-informed than your internet-side manner.