LGBT Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thatcher123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any LGBT medical students or physicians out there that would like to comment on your experience in med school and throughout? I am a little worried that other physicians and patients will judge me based on sexual orientation. How open is the medical community in regards to this matter and is it a struggle for LGBT students? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any LGBT medical students or physicians out there that would like to comment on your experience in med school and throughout? I am a little worried that other physicians and patients will judge me based on sexual orientation. How open is the medical community in regards to this matter and is it a struggle for LGBT students? Thanks for your input.
dude search the threads for lgbt.
Medical schools are v open to it. The med community, like any group, has diverse perspectives on it. Ditto for patients.

Medical schools are v open to it.

I'm not sure you can really make a blanket statement like this. For example, I would hardly call Loma Linda "very open" to LGBT students. There are several other schools who would also not be considered friendly schools.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How would a patient or coworker know you are lgbt unless u tell them or show them via PDA with same gender?

Reactions: 9 users
I'm not sure you can really make a blanket statement like this. For example, I would hardly call Loma Linda "very open" to LGBT students. There are several other schools who would also not be considered friendly schools.
I don't know in what capacity LL is open or not to LGBT, because LGBT is a spectrum, and there is a spectrum of opinion with christianity.
I suppose other christian (DO) schools might not be open to it. Do you know of any?
OP, are you interested in DO schools?

How would a patient or coworker know you are lgbt unless u tell them or show them via PDA with same gender?
It's generally not so much a matter of someone looking at you and knowing that you're LGBT. The issue comes up when you spend years around people. Personal lives are bound to come up eventually, and do you really want to spend 4 years of medical school answering the question "do you have a girlfriend (substitute appropriate noun in the place of girlfriend if needed?" with either a lie that then requires you to continue lying about your "girlfriend" (who's really your boyfriend), or saying that you aren't dating anyone (in which case you will often get attacked by questions about why a nice young person like yourself in medical school doesn't have a girlfriend)? And god forbid someone tells you to bring your girlfriend out to dinner. There's only so many times you can make up excuses. Beyond that, you would never feel comfortable talking about your life, even casually, with someone you worked with.

It's sometimes hard to see how awkward it can be to be LGBT in a non-LGBT friendly environment when you're looking at it from the outside. Realistically, when you are LGBT and the environment you're in isn't open to it, you do a lot of lying, a lot of sneaking around, and a lot of feeling really bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
I don't know in what capacity LL is open or not to LGBT, because LGBT is a spectrum, and there is a spectrum of opinion with christianity.
I suppose other christian (DO) schools might not be open to it. Do you know of any?
Loma Linda states in their student handbook that disciplinary action will be taken against any students engaging in any sort of homosexual "sexual expression." I am not aware of other schools with policies like this, but there are also many schools in less LGBT-friendly areas (Texas being one of them) and religious-based schools that would certainly not appreciate LGBT students.

Loma Linda states in their student handbook that disciplinary action will be taken against any students engaging in any sort of homosexual "sexual expression." I am not aware of other schools with policies like this, but there are also many schools in less LGBT-friendly areas (Texas being one of them) and religious-based schools that would certainly not appreciate LGBT students.
Just because Texas is stereotypically not LGBT friendly doesn't mean that the school is the same...but the surrounding environment is important too because you'll spend 4 stressful years there.

Just because Texas is stereotypically not LGBT friendly doesn't mean that the school is the same...but the surrounding environment is important too because you'll spend 4 stressful years there.
Correct, but it is indicative of the attitude of the people who will be at the school. If there's a higher concentration of people in that city who are unfriendly towards LGBTs, chances are there's also a higher concentration of people with the same attitude at the school. The opposite is also true.

When I interviewed at a school in the South this cycle, I actually got grilled by an interviewer about being gay. She couldn't understand why I would want to live there since she claimed she knew two lesbians who were miserable. While I believe she had good intentions, she clearly had her mind made up already. Medical schools and the medical community (in general) seem to be very accepting of the LGBT community, but you'll certainly still run into some issues in more conservative areas. Overall, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know what its like to be LGBT but go to school and ****ing own it. there will be more than enough people that don't give a damn who you are attracted to and they can be your friends instead of the jusgemental buttheads that don't like you. Obviously choose schools carefully, but in general there won't be a perfect school, so ur gonna have moments. Just go own it and be happy with who you are. It may be easier to just somehow put it in conversation early on so u can at least figure out who the buttheads are early on

Much like the general population, most won't care. A few will not like it and a few will applaud it. Just do your thing and enjoy life

Reactions: 4 users

LUCOM, I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You probably shouldn't walk around with a sign on your chest that says you are LGBT, you probably shouldn't tell everyone you meet that you are. If you don't do those things, I really don't see how anyone would be able to tell

That's what I was guessing, but I didn't want to just assume.
What about KCOM?

It doesn't look like it. From their handbook:

"A.T. Still University of Health Sciences (ATSU) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status in admission to or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities."

http://www.atsu.edu/student_services/handbook/pdfs/UniversityHandbook-9.22.14.pdf

Aside from the obvious problem many trans people have with "passing" for the gender they identify as, many gay people can be identified as such pretty quickly after meeting them. To deny that is pretty naive (not ignorant, I am by no means attacking you guys!). People assuming you won't be 'outed' unless you make it known seems to arise from the idea that 'flamboyantly gay' men or 'butch' lesbians are acting in some sort of learned behavior instead of from innate personality characteristics. People ask, "why does he have to act SO gay?!" This idea makes the assumption that the contemporary characteristics of the typical cis-gendered, straight male are somehow a default human way of behaving, and that femininity is a learned behavior, especially for some gay men. This is not the case. I am a gay man who most people would not assume is gay upon first meeting me, or even until I told them, but I would never assume that someone who is more flamboyant than me is somehow acting that way, I know that they are psychologically wired that way.

So, unless someone wanted to work very hard to constantly be aware of their behavior and act in a certain way, instead of the way they naturally are, it might not be so hard to hide the fact that they are LGBT.

You probably shouldn't walk around with a sign on your chest that says you are LGBT, you probably shouldn't tell everyone you meet that you are. If you don't do those things, I really don't see how anyone would be able to tell

Reactions: 7 users
Depends very much on the medical school in question. Many older faculty still connect homosexuality to HIV/AIDS and will judge you accordingly.

Aside from the obvious problem many trans people have with "passing" for the gender they identify as, many gay people can be identified as such pretty quickly after meeting them. To deny that is pretty naive (not ignorant, I am by no means attacking you guys!). People assuming you won't be 'outed' unless you make it known seems to arise from the idea that 'flamboyantly gay' men or 'butch' lesbians are acting in some sort of learned behavior instead of from innate personality characteristics. People ask, "why does he have to act SO gay?!" This idea makes the assumption that the contemporary characteristics of the typical cis-gendered, straight male are somehow a default human way of behaving, and that femininity is a learned behavior, especially for some gay men. This is not the case. I am a gay man who most people would not assume is gay upon first meeting me, or even until I told them, but I would never assume that someone who is more flamboyant than me is somehow acting that way, I know that they are psychologically wired that way.

So, unless someone wanted to work very hard to constantly be aware of their behavior and act in a certain way, instead of the way they naturally are, it might not be so hard to hide the fact that they are LGBT.
I would assume that, just as cisgender males adopt a culturally determined gender identity, people who are gay also adapt to cultural norms within their formative gay communities.
So the behavior of both is learned, in a sense. Neither is 100% innate. Personality/identity are not determined completely by psychological "wiring", because your psyche is affected by your environment. There is no "default" human way of behaving - it's all affected by your culture.

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't look like it. From their handbook:

"A.T. Still University of Health Sciences (ATSU) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status in admission to or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities."

http://www.atsu.edu/student_services/handbook/pdfs/UniversityHandbook-9.22.14.pdf
I was curious about KYCOM, at the U of Pikeville in KY, not ATSU.

I would assume that, just as cisgender males adopt a culturally determined gender identity, people who are gay also adapt to cultural norms within their formative gay communities.
So the behavior of both is learned, in a sense. Neither is 100% innate. Personality/identity are not determined completely by psychological "wiring", because your psyche is affected by your environment. There is no "default" human way of behaving - it's all affected by your culture.

Well, there is nothing more to our psychology than our wiring, which is affected by both our genetics and our environment. Plenty of gay men act the way they do long before they are ever part of any community.

I have been out since my interview, and I met my boyfriend at my school (he's in my class). It also occasionally comes up with patients who say things like "I'd love to set you up with my daughter!" To which I usually reply "she'll have to have a chat with my boyfriend first!" It usually gets a good chuckle. Our administration is also very supportive.

I'm thrilled with my choice to be out in my interviews, but do what's right for you. There were a couple of interviews where I didn't mention it at all, usually if I had a male >70 years old, and I have no regrets about that, but notably, the only schools I got into were the ones at which I had remarked on my sexual orientation to every interviewer.

Important, though: Do what makes you comfortable. It would be terrible to go to an interview and be out and not comfortable in your own skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's generally not so much a matter of someone looking at you and knowing that you're LGBT. The issue comes up when you spend years around people. Personal lives are bound to come up eventually, and do you really want to spend 4 years of medical school answering the question "do you have a girlfriend (substitute appropriate noun in the place of girlfriend if needed?" with either a lie that then requires you to continue lying about your "girlfriend" (who's really your boyfriend), or saying that you aren't dating anyone (in which case you will often get attacked by questions about why a nice young person like yourself in medical school doesn't have a girlfriend)? And god forbid someone tells you to bring your girlfriend out to dinner. There's only so many times you can make up excuses. Beyond that, you would never feel comfortable talking about your life, even casually, with someone you worked with.

It's sometimes hard to see how awkward it can be to be LGBT in a non-LGBT friendly environment when you're looking at it from the outside. Realistically, when you are LGBT and the environment you're in isn't open to it, you do a lot of lying, a lot of sneaking around, and a lot of feeling really bad.
I wish I could like this more than once. I think that sometimes people don't realize just how carefully you have to think before you speak if you aren't sure how you will be received in certain environments. I'm sure people think I'm slow or standoffish sometimes. It's basically a judgment call with every new person you meet as to whether you want to come out to them or keep a safe distance. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 7 years and lived together for 5. When people ask random things like what did you do over the weekend, etc.....It's hard to have a real conversation without mentioning her in some way.

Reactions: 7 users

I haven't had any problems, really.
I'm not dating anyone at the moment, so it's not like it makes a ton of difference in my everyday life, but it has definitely been relevant on occasion- like anyone else, med students date, ask each other out, etc- and I've definitely had to explain to a classmate why I wasn't interested in dating him.

I "pass" pretty well as straight, and I don't really bring up sexual orientation unless someone else brings it up, so it really hasn't come up with preceptors or patients (except for an occasion of being seen in the university clinic, where I was seen by one of my professors, and they were completely professional about it- no problems whatsoever then or since). If it did, I would answer appropriately for the situation, and move on.

In terms of students and faculty, I've gotten a bit annoyed at the language some have used with respect to LGBT issues, but I really think it's more an issue of lack of knowledge than bigotry.

In some ways being queer makes things a bit easier- unlike many of my classmates, I find asking questions on sexual history a lot easier, and asking patients the "men, women, or both" question doesn't really give me a second thought- meanwhile many of them seem to be a bit more uncomfortable with the idea- especially those who come from more conservative backgrounds and are afraid that they might "offend someone," whereas I have the experience of knowing how annoying it is for physicians to walk into a room and assume that every patient is straight until proven otherwise.

We've also got a couple faculty who are actively working with us to get a LGBT group off the ground.

Things will vary based on the population, culture, and beliefs of a particular school or region, though.
I don't know specifics for most schools, but "officially" it shouldn't be a problem at most. I do know that Loma Linda reserves the right to kick out students for being being queer, so probably steer away from there.

Katayama raises a truly important point here. Applicants should always consider how welcoming a school might be, and also the community.
OP is advised to avoid LUCOM as well. I don't know how the Jesuit schools like SLU or Creighton, or MUCOM will fare for you.

Suggest also inquiring in school-specific threads as to how welcoming schools can be.

Allow me just once to tell you (somewhere west of St Louis) that my school is very supportive of its LGBT students.

Reactions: 1 users
In terms of students and faculty, I've gotten a bit annoyed at the language some have used with respect to LGBT issues, but I really think it's more an issue of lack of knowledge than bigotry.

The ignorance I heard around my college campus drives me crazy and I'm straight, so I can only imagine how it makes you feel.

But could you elaborate on this a little more? At first I thought you meant the use of slurs but then i noticed you mentioned faculty as well and i would just have to assume that they'd be much more professional than that...

Here in Boston, my experience has been that essentially no one seems to care. And on the rare occasions where someone is out of line because I am LGBT/I, I generally go and tell supportive people, and after that the problem usually stops quickly.** I have been very vocal in setting the tone that it is my work that matters and not my gender or medical circumstances. Its helped me to be very social and to network with others, especially others who advocate and support institutional diversity and/or LGBT/I equal rights. I can't emphasis enough how important friends and supportive coworkers are in this sort of situation, and to work for an institution where the culture is supportive. (Or to go to a school where the culture is supportive.)

Situations like this, IMO, can either partially or almost exclusively depend on:

1. How many friends or supportive coworkers you have.
2. The culture of the institution or department. (I wish all hospitals and medical schools had active diversity committees and LGBT/I employee networks for the reasons described above this list. - And ideally a LGBT network that is mature and inclusion*/anti-harassment focused, rather than falling prey to a tendency that some, especially younger, LGBT clubs have of devolving into dating games or unofficial pageants. A good director of diversity can help set and maintain an inclusive appropriate tone. It helps for diversity to have some say in the hiring/lay off/firing process. *Inclusion can extend to HR benefits for same-sex partners and insurance for transgender and intersex people.)
3. Your appearance including involuntary physical features, as much I feel that's wrong.
4. Your race and other minority categories you fall into, as much as I feel that shouldn't be. (I had an acquaintance in college who got hired for a job in a somehow very backwards place where he said that the LGBT friendly group generally disliked racial minorities, and the group that was friendly to racial minorities disliked "gays." I'm glad he doesn't work there anymore.)
5. How well you handle problematic situations. Some areas have training workshops that teach individuals how to handle workplace problems, including problems centered around being LGBT/I.
6. How assertive you are. (If someone says something to me in a disrespectful tone, they will get called on it immediately. If a disparity seems to come up where I think I'm quietly being discriminated against, I ask all of my supportive coworkers about it or at least comment about it to the right people. Example from quite a while ago, "I don't understand why I'm being told not to check on patients and the other volunteer isn't. What do you think is going on?" In a supportive institution, this makes it very difficult for discrimination to go on continuously.)
7. Where in the world you are. I wrote this with the northeastern USA in mind.

While interviewing for medical school and for jobs, I am going to ask if the institution values diversity and what sorts of committees, clubs, or supportive networks are in place. This not only serves to inform me, but also sends a message to the group doing the interview. (In this day and age there are many institutions getting internal pressure to value LGBT applicants, and any sign of external interest can help to reinforce the message.)

Given all of the health problems, health trends, and occasional outbreaks unique to the LGBT population (ex. gay men and meningitis last year), I wish LGBT would be added to the list of URM categories already!

**If you ever end up in a situation where your peers are okay with your being treated horribly, and you've done everything you can to try to fix things, but the horrible treatment doesn't stop, it is time to leave. Sue if you want, but also leave. If this happens, you were not "defeated," but most likely out-numbered, out-ranked, and out-gunned in that particular instance. Keep your head up and move on. ***I also acknowledge that certain LGBT candidates with lower stats may feel forced to go to medical school in an intolerant environment. It's sad that the school that are the best for diversity are often nearly limited to the top ranked places. Getting stuck in an intolerant school or workplace can be a very serious matter as LGBT students are often a greater target for all sorts of stuff, hostile treatment, attacks, rapes, discrimination and non-physical threats, etc., possibly leading to ongoing health and mental health issues. I have no solution for that problem at the moment, but will continue to raise my voice until something hopefully happens to improve things.

Remember that there's awesome work places like Fenway Community Health Center and JRI. Even if you don't like those options or can't get in, there's still may be a chance that (if you want to) you can serve as a leader and ensure a that your office and your practice is clearly LGBT welcoming.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, some schools have variable "welcomeness" to the idea of LGBT. At my institution, for example, we have a student org specifically for LGBT students and there are other ways to get involved in the community (e.g., I'm not LGBT, but on my family medicine rotation I did some community work with a group that primarily serves gay men and offers STI screening and counseling).

As far as "coming out" in interviews, I think that's a choice you'll have to make. As I said, I'm not LGBT, but I would think that's something you want to be candid (but not overbearing) about. It's a core part of your identity. I think I would rather get rejected from a medical school that doesn't take too kindly to that part of my identity rather than going to a school that would be "hostile" to it. However, I suppose it depends on how desperate you are to get into a school and what your overall app looks like when you apply.

Given all of the health problems, health trends, and occasional outbreaks unique to the LGBT population (ex. gay men and meningitis last year), I wish LGBT would be added to the list of URM categories already!

It is at Penn, Northwestern, and Yale, and probably a few other schools as well.

UCSF, and University of Washington also consider LGBT students to be URM I think.

The ignorance I heard around my college campus drives me crazy and I'm straight, so I can only imagine how it makes you feel.

But could you elaborate on this a little more? At first I thought you meant the use of slurs but then i noticed you mentioned faculty as well and i would just have to assume that they'd be much more professional than that...

Oh, there's definitely not slurs being thrown around (at least that I've heard); If there were, I'd have long since taken it up with the people responsible and/or brought it to the appropriate people's attention. It was way worse in college, actually- there was a ton more ignorance and outright bigotry there, and I got really good at not letting things bother me as much. Here it's more that a lot of people seem like they just don't know how to react the the existence of queer people- I pretty constantly have a sense that many people are somewhat uncomfortable with the LGBT population as a whole, but possibly just haven't interacted with us often enough to realize that we're actually just normal people.

There have been insinuations that it could be offensive to suggest that someone might be anything other than straight (which yeah, every so often someone might be offended, but that doesn't mean you should assume everyone's straight). Comments about how "you just can't assume that everyone that a person's partner/a child's parents" is/are of opposite sexes" (tone generally being the problem here- every time I've heard someone say something of the sort, it's been with a note of chagrin, as if we queer people were inconveniencing them in some way)
Some of it is also tied to the very specific population I'm part of/interacting with, i.e. members of the military. Most commonly heard: "it's *that* kind of military now" (not overtly discriminatory, but again- the tone is generally on the negative/disapproving end of things).

Granted, my frame of reference is grounded in having grown up and attended college in two of the most liberal states in the country, so compared to most people around me on a daily basis, I kind of have an ultra-liberal background. I'm not sure I'd have even noticed any of this as a negative otherwise (also not sure the people in question realize the message they're sending- some of them may actually think that they're being super inclusive). Also, Don't Ask Don't Tell was only repealed in 2011, so it's not like the faculty who I've heard this from have been dealing with "out" students or patients for all that long. I fully expect that this to improve as people get more used to having queer people in the military.

Sure, the language isn't always ideal, but it's more in the vein of things where I just want to sigh and roll my eyes at it, rather than fly into a towering rage. Does that make sense?

Patients might know or assume if the person is gender non-conforming.
At the hospital I work at, most people do talk about their personal lives in some capacity. For example, I hear people talking about being married or getting engaged, what their significant other does, etc. It would be kind of strange not to know anything about your coworkers. If you have a coworker who is married or in a serious relationship, chances are you will know whether the person is male or female based on what pronouns they use.

As mentioned above, some schools have variable "welcomeness" to the idea of LGBT. At my institution, for example, we have a student org specifically for LGBT students and there are other ways to get involved in the community (e.g., I'm not LGBT, but on my family medicine rotation I did some community work with a group that primarily serves gay men and offers STI screening and counseling).

As far as "coming out" in interviews, I think that's a choice you'll have to make. As I said, I'm not LGBT, but I would think that's something you want to be candid (but not overbearing) about. It's a core part of your identity. I think I would rather get rejected from a medical school that doesn't take too kindly to that part of my identity rather than going to a school that would be "hostile" to it. However, I suppose it depends on how desperate you are to get into a school and what your overall app looks like when you apply.

Speaking of your last point, I just want to point out in addition that those schools that are seen as less accepting generally aren't completely intolerant, as was my experience at meharry, of all places. Those institutions are often sorely in need of the perspective of an LGBT health care provider, something they simply won't get if you aren't out and open.

Speaking of your last point, I just want to point out in addition that those schools that are seen as less accepting generally aren't completely intolerant, as was my experience at meharry, of all places. Those institutions are often sorely in need of the perspective of an LGBT health care provider, something they simply won't get if you aren't out and open.

This is the kind of perspective I worry about, though. You very well may be right, but coming into a school and giving off a vibe that a school is "in need" of a LGBT provider and you're going to provide that perspective as a medical student isn't the approach I would take. Sure, bring up that you can bring a different perspective and might be able to work more effectively with a traditionally disenfranchised population, but don't come across as a social justice crusader. That kind of approach is pretty off-putting unless you have a lot of experience to back up that claim.

Just my two cents.

This is the kind of perspective I worry about, though. You very well may be right, but coming into a school and giving off a vibe that a school is "in need" of a LGBT provider and you're going to provide that perspective as a medical student isn't the approach I would take. Sure, bring up that you can bring a different perspective and might be able to work more effectively with a traditionally disenfranchised population, but don't come across as a social justice crusader. That kind of approach is pretty off-putting unless you have a lot of experience to back up that claim.

Just my two cents.

The fact that a school is in need is more a part of my argument that one should consider applying to schools in places that may not be traditionally friendly than it is a suggestion of how students should portray themselves in their application and interview. I think most people are savvy enough to know that open criticism toward a school is a great way to get rejected.

The fact that a school is in need is more a part of my argument that one should consider applying to schools in places that may not be traditionally friendly than it is a suggestion of how students should portray themselves in their application and interview. I think most people are savvy enough to know that open criticism toward a school is a great way to get rejected.

I suppose, but I wonder how many people would be interested in going the martyrdom route in the name of progress voluntarily. I would have zero interest in going to a place that takes any sort of issue with a key piece of my identity. I would think that's commonsense, but perhaps I'm wrong here.

Using the acronym LBGT is a bit too vague. I would expect the experience of a transsexual to be pretty starkly different from a homosexual. That being said, I wouldn't expect much beyond an occasional look of disapproval for a gay male or lesbian female.

I suppose, but I wonder how many people would be interested in going the martyrdom route in the name of progress voluntarily. I would have zero interest in going to a place that takes any sort of issue with a key piece of my identity. I would think that's commonsense, but perhaps I'm wrong here.

I think we have to detach ourselves from the 3.8+/35+ student at this point as those students have their pick of the more accepting and elite medical schools. For those with stats more similar to mine (3.5/30), it can definitely help to look at those schools that might be thoguht of as less accepting as they can sometimes have stat cutoffs that are lower. Notably, though, the interview is not a place to be a martyr, especially if you're struggling to get interviews. It's after you're accepted to the school that you have a chance to create positive change.

Using the acronym LBGT is a bit too vague. I would expect the experience of a transsexual to be pretty starkly different from a homosexual. That being said, I wouldn't expect much beyond an occasional look of disapproval for a gay male or lesbian female.

You definitely have a point, but to be fair, you've just provided more evidence that we need that "T" representation to be stronger and for that perspective to be represented. Life is difficult enough when your bodily presentation differs from your internal knowledge of your gender, even without people asking intrusive questions like "Have you had gender reassignment surgery yet?" or "Why can't you just be happy with your body the way it is?"

I've said this many times before, but the goal is not to get every single LGBTQ person paired with an LGBTQ provider; rather, the goal is to give everyone enough exposure to LGBTQ people (other providers, specifically) that they know how to interact with an LGBTQ person without making them feel, as many do, that they should simply never visit another doctor again.

Last edited:
That being said, I wouldn't expect much beyond an occasional look of disapproval for a gay male or lesbian female.

The vast majority of patients aren't going to view us negatively, no. But, we can empathize to an increased extent with a patient who may be experiencing shame or embarrassment because of their own sexual orientation. They may have feelings that they're having difficulty dealing with. They may have unique LGBT health issues that we may be more familiar with other than the psychological ones.

The URM status isn't supposed to say "Well, gay people encounter 10% more prejudice, so their GPA can be one tenth of a point lower and still get an interview."

The vast majority of patients aren't going to view us negatively, no. But, we can empathize to an increased extent with a patient who may be experiencing shame or embarrassment because of their own sexual orientation. They may have feelings that they're having difficulty dealing with. They may have unique LGBT health issues that we may be more familiar with other than the psychological ones.

The URM status isn't supposed to say "Well, gay people encounter 10% more prejudice, so their GPA can be one tenth of a point lower and still get an interview."

That's great information, but it really has nothing to do with the comment that you replied to. I support having all types of people in medicine. I was merely answering OP's question regarding likelihood of poor treatment.

I would actually expect this to be highly variable depending on school, region (and by extension predominating religious and/or political beliefs) where the school is located, and the population from which the school tends to draw its students and faculty.
I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that "an occasional look of disapproval" would be all I'd expect in certain areas.

That aside, microaggressions, ignoramuses, and outright jerks exist everywhere. Sometimes the best you can do is rise above it and (like tentacles said) hope to improve things for everyone who comes after you.

ATTN: Diversity (URMS vs. LGBT)

It's occurred to me many times that medical schools should have some sort of diversity-related ORIENTATION (at the beginning) for either everyone or for only URMs that includes a segment about LGBT populations and promotes respect. One reason for this is that, sadly, other nations (excluding Europe) are often much less tolerant and less educated about LGBT people, and sometimes are very intolerant (toward LGBT) in general. While it's a great thing that racial and national diversity is promoted, I hope that promoting those types of diversity isn't inadvertently creating a less welcoming place for LGBT students... If so, it's fixable.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/countries-where-still-illegal-gay-161317099.html

(*I acknowledge that the reverse is also sometimes a problem. IMO, both should be addressed.)

Ask me this question next year.

Application wise, I had quite a bit of a problem being LGBT (emphasis on the T) in my four rounds. I can name two schools to avoid entirely. This year, I also had a bad interview at one school who just went off on me, the irony of that school having an award-winning LGBT clinic was not lost on me, but admissions was very accommodating on an interview re-do request.