Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Please post if you guys have any questions about the application process/interviews etc. I am happy to help. Good luck to all of the new and reapplicants! God bless! :hello:

Reactions: 1 user
Please post if you guys have any questions about the application process/interviews etc. I am happy to help. Good luck to all of the new and reapplicants! God bless! :hello:

Hi I was just wordering when should we expect a secondary essay? This is one of my top choices. And I heard there screen is pretty strick..any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I was just wordering when should we expect a secondary essay? This is one of my top choices. And I heard there screen is pretty strick..any thoughts?

Hello,

I think they have already started sending out secondaries. Correct me if I am wrong please. They are strict with whom they send out secondaries to, so just hang in there.

Hello,

I think they have already started sending out secondaries. Correct me if I am wrong please. They are strict with whom they send out secondaries to, so just hang in there.

Haven't heard anything yet. Not even the standard "your application has been received" but I'll be waiting!
Do you know what they base their screen on?

Haven't heard anything yet. Not even the standard "your application has been received" but I'll be waiting!
Do you know what they base their screen on?

I believe it is if your values/goals align with LUCOM's. If you will promote the general direction the school is heading into. Your shadowing/ volunteer hours matter. Of course MCAT and gpa is also a deciding factor.

does anyone know when they normally start sending secondaries out??

"Application received" secondary decision within a month.

Anyone else having problems with logging on to the secondary? I created my account and I can log-in, but when I click the secondary link from their email it says "Creation Error: Unable To Retrieve Student Data"

Anyone else having problems with logging on to the secondary? I created my account and I can log-in, but when I click the secondary link from their email it says "Creation Error: Unable To Retrieve Student Data"
I'm having the same error. I'm gonna give it a day to sort out before I contact the adcom.

Members don't see this ad :)
check your junk mail guys, my secondary went straight in there.

I know they said they require a 500 MCAT, anyone get a secondary w/ below a 500?

Thanks!

Top choice! Just waiting on my darn primary to be verified ...I'm on week 4. Patience is a virtue...

For those who received the secondary, is this the correct prompt?

What is your personal philosophy on the practice of medicine and explain how you feel that you will advance the mission and vision of Liberty University and it’s College of Osteopathic Medicine? (500 words or less)

Top choice! Just waiting on my darn primary to be verified ...I'm on week 4. Patience is a virtue...

For those who received the secondary, is this the correct prompt?

What is your personal philosophy on the practice of medicine and explain how you feel that you will advance the mission and vision of Liberty University and it’s College of Osteopathic Medicine? (500 words or less)
Yeah that's it, good luck!

Secondary submitted! But it says I applied for "Spring 2016"... is this correct?

Hello everyone, LUCOM class of 2019 here. SDN was an incredible resource to me last year while I was applying, so I'm going to try my best to help you guys out as best as I can.

I cannot say exactly what they look for when reviewing your primary applications, but I do know that they are looking for people to advance their schools goals as listed on their website. They place a strong emphasis on SERVICE to others. If you can show how you align with or would advance the schools goals, as well as a commitment of service of others, I'd say you have a good chance of receiving a secondary application.

-Scrumptious

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, LUCOM class of 2019 here. SDN was an incredible resource to me last year while I was applying, so I'm going to try my best to help you guys out as best as I can.

I cannot say exactly what they look for when reviewing your primary applications, but I do know that they are looking for people to advance their schools goals as listed on their website. They place a strong emphasis on SERVICE to others. If you can show how you align with or would advance the schools goals, as well as a commitment of service of others, I'd say you have a good chance of receiving a secondary application.

-Scrumptious

I completely agree with this! Welcome fellow class of 2019'er we can work as a team to answer questions if you would like :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes Liberty advocates service to others because they're a Christian school. They also charge $52K tuition a year plus fees and make their school a private institution because that's what Jesus Christ would surely do.

I'm a devote Christian and this isn't an attack on LUCOM. Loma Linda is guilty of the same hypocrisy but they offer a better education and much better opportunities to serve the less fortunate.

Yes Liberty advocates service to others because they're a Christian school. They also charge $52K tuition a year plus fees and make their school a private institution because that's what Jesus Christ would surely do.

I'm a devote Christian and this isn't an attack on LUCOM. Loma Linda is guilty of the same hypocrisy but they offer a better education and much better opportunities to serve the less fortunate.

LUCOM does not have 52K tuition. What is wrong with private institutions? I am pretty sure this is a profession ABOUT service to others, if you think it's anything else, you shouldn't join.

Thinking about reapplying here...I interviewed last cycle, denied post interview. I did postpone my initial ii so maybe that had something to do with it...not sure what to do this cycle. I am comfortable with this school and its mission, especially since I have already visited. Application has improved since last cycle.

Still waiting on a secondary... anyone receive one recently?

Thinking about reapplying here...I interviewed last cycle, denied post interview. I did postpone my initial ii so maybe that had something to do with it...not sure what to do this cycle. I am comfortable with this school and its mission, especially since I have already visited. Application has improved since last cycle.

If you're going to reapply you should start now. As you probably know, the earlier the better. But, that is a great accomplishment getting th interview last cycle!

Yes, it won't hurt to give them a call.

Would any current students mind sharing information about when interviews begin if you can see it on your school calendar?
I checked last year's cycle and many people had already received II's by now, and I'm really hoping for a II with LUCOM so I was curious. Thanks!
@LoveDoctor93 @Scrumptious

Last edited:
I cannot see on my calendar when interviews begin, but I did hear someone mention that they should be starting "soon". Not sure exactly what that means. I was interviewed in early November, and I know that some of my class were interviewed in spring of 2015. I totally understand the thought of wanting to know whether or not you will get an II as soon as possible, but like many people advised me last year... it is a waiting game. You could get an II next week, or in 6 months. How quickly you receive an II does not necessarily directly correlate with the strength of your application. So.. have patience, remain calm.. your II will come!

-Scrumptious

I cannot see on my calendar when interviews begin, but I did hear someone mention that they should be starting "soon". Not sure exactly what that means. I was interviewed in early November, and I know that some of my class were interviewed in spring of 2015. I totally understand the thought of wanting to know whether or not you will get an II as soon as possible, but like many people advised me last year... it is a waiting game. You could get an II next week, or in 6 months. How quickly you receive an II does not necessarily directly correlate with the strength of your application. So.. have patience, remain calm.. your II will come!

-Scrumptious
Thanks so much for your reply,
I definitely appreciate your advice and do need to work on my patience, I was just curious because I received 2 IIs from other schools this week and was just wondering about LUCOM.
Thanks again!

Did the essay prompts on the secondary change? When I looked at it a week and a half ago and copied the prompt into a Word document it was the same prompt listed in this thread, but now it's two different essays with two different word limits. Has anyone else noticed this?

Did the essay prompts on the secondary change? When I looked at it a week and a half ago and copied the prompt into a Word document it was the same prompt listed in this thread, but now it's two different essays with two different word limits. Has anyone else noticed this?
It did change. Apparently the first link for secondaries that was sent out was last years prompt, so the one with 2 essays is the correct secondary.

I'm a first year student at LUCOM hailing from California. Just to put things into perspective, there's about 15 students from California in our class of 161 so they definitely accept people from all over the place. Several students are from New York, Florida, Texas, and Ohio as well. I think maybe only a little more than a quarter of students are from Virginia so there isn't much of a geographical preference.

I'd love to answer any questions that anyone has about this school. I encourage you all to apply as well. We've got a top notch building and faculty who really care about the students. Please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
It did change. Apparently the first link for secondaries that was sent out was last years prompt, so the one with 2 essays is the correct secondary.
Yeah, I emailed the office of admissions and they confirmed this. They said they'll refund my application fee since I had already written the other essay, which is nice of them.

Would anybody mind sharing the new prompts? I'm a bit late to the game, and just submitted my app! Thanks in advance!

Would anybody mind sharing the new prompts? I'm a bit late to the game, and just submitted my app! Thanks in advance!

Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact tomorrow’s world. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine exists to advance that mission by training exceptional osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to become servant-leaders in the field of medicine. In 250-500 words, please describe your impression of what a Christian environment is or what you believe it should be. Further, describe how your personal faith and beliefs will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission to develop Christ-centered servant leaders in the medical profession.

In 200-300 words, please describe your personal philosophy on the practice of medicine and explain how you feel that you will advance the practice of osteopathic medicine and the osteopathic profession.

Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact tomorrow’s world. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine exists to advance that mission by training exceptional osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to become servant-leaders in the field of medicine. In 250-500 words, please describe your impression of what a Christian environment is or what you believe it should be. Further, describe how your personal faith and beliefs will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission to develop Christ-centered servant leaders in the medical profession.

In 200-300 words, please describe your personal philosophy on the practice of medicine and explain how you feel that you will advance the practice of osteopathic medicine and the osteopathic profession.

This is going to be rough...

Soooooo what I'm gathering is that if you're non-Christian you shouldn't waste your time?

The prompt from last year that someone posted earlier was manageable, but this one screams "we don't want you unless you're Christian" to me. I had a feeling I might be too liberal for Liberty but this prompt is just too much. What do you guys think?

I also read their code of conduct and it says they don't allow students to use alcohol. I have like one drink every six months so I can definitely do without it, but a school trying to control students like that leaves a weird taste in my mouth. Someone please prove me wrong on all these points!

Soooooo what I'm gathering is that if you're non-Christian you shouldn't waste your time?

The prompt from last year that someone posted earlier was manageable, but this one screams "we don't want you unless you're Christian" to me. I had a feeling I might be too liberal for Liberty but this prompt is just too much. What do you guys think?

I also read their code of conduct and it says they don't allow students to use alcohol. I have like one drink every six months so I can definitely do without it, but a school trying to control students like that leaves a weird taste in my mouth. Someone please prove me wrong on all these points!

The alcohol thing isn't true. It's only for undergrads who live on campus. The only rule I have to abide by as a student is a business casual dress code.

The alcohol thing isn't true. It's only for undergrads who live on campus. The only rule I have to abide by as a student is a business casual dress code.

Good to hear. What about the Christianity aspect?

It sure seems like they're really pushing the Christian aspect this year, but I think the wording leaves just enough wiggle room to answer the questions without having to claim to be Christian. It wants to know what you think a Christian environment is, or ought to be. I imagine most people will write something about a caring and selfless environment, but really you can spin this however you want. Then the next segment can be interpreted as asking how your personal values will allow you to contribute towards creating that type of environment.

They don't want you to just say you're a Christian, because really, that can mean a lot of different things. They want you to read their mission statement and express that you understand what kind of values (not religion) they're trying to promote and how you can help them do that. It looks like Liberty really emphasizes serving others, ethical practice, community outreach, and compassion.

Well, the alcohol portion of the student code is just to protect the students themselves. They don't want you to sacrifice what you have worked so hard to achieve by drinking alcohol and driving or doing other illegal things. You would be dismissed from the school at that point if you are a student. It doesn't apply to having an occasional drink in the privacy of your own home, just be smart about what kind of situations you put yourself in as a medical student. It is a great responsibility, and nobody should take it lightly. Like my classmate above said, the only requirement from this school is the business casual attire to class and respect for others.

Good to hear. What about the Christianity aspect?

I hope you don't mind me answering this ilustrisimo08! This school promotes Christian values and all they are asking from you as a student is to not disrespect that.

Has anyone received a secondary from here yet?