Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else having difficulty getting added on our class FB page?
They have a some sort of a list of accepted students and can't add you until your name is officially on the list. I think it took three weeks for me to be added after my acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bit random but are we supposed to buy our own stethoscope? My family wanted to give me one as a congrats gift but I didn't want them to purchase one if it's part of our tuition

Excited to start this fall! I'll be moving cross country and wanted thoughts on where to live and info on shipping my car. Any other fellow Californians moving out there? Can current students comment on our class schedule, i.e., are we in class from 8-5 everyday?

Fellow Californian (bay area). It's about 1100-1300 to ship your car from norcal and about 900-1100 from socal. I shipped from my dad's in anaheim. It's really hit or miss with these transporters unfortunately. I had my car delivered a week after they said they were going to and the driver was horribly awful at communication. Also, a classmate had to drive 45 min to get her car because the trucker didn't want to go too far off his main path. I've had some friends who made the cross country drive as well and saying that it wasn't too bad. I just did not want to put that many miles on my car so quickly. One of my LA classmates just sold his car in california and bought a used car here (probably the smartest thing to do IMO).

In terms of daily schedule, it can range depending on what course you're in because not all classes will require us to be in anatomy lab. The class is split in half to accommodate space in our anatomy lab, OMM lab, and clinical skills (Patient Centered Medicine) course. Half of the class will be on campus until 3pm while the other half would have a break between 1-3pm (not including the 1 hr lunch break) and come back from 3-5. The group switches meeting times to so you can never always be out by 3pm. Mondays and Fridays are generally the shortest days with Wednesdays and Thursdays being the longest.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow Californian (bay area). It's about 1100-1300 to ship your car from norcal and about 900-1100 from socal. I shipped from my dad's in anaheim. It's really hit or miss with these transporters unfortunately. I had my car delivered a week after they said they were going to and the driver was horribly awful at communication. Also, a classmate had to drive 45 min to get her car because the trucker didn't want to go too far off his main path. I've had some friends who made the cross country drive as well and saying that it wasn't too bad. I just did not want to put that many miles on my car so quickly. One of my LA classmates just sold his car in california and bought a used car here (probably the smartest thing to do IMO).

In terms of daily schedule, it can range depending on what course you're in because not all classes will require us to be in anatomy lab. The class is split in half to accommodate space in our anatomy lab, OMM lab, and clinical skills (Patient Centered Medicine) course. Half of the class will be on campus until 3pm while the other half would have a break between 1-3pm (not including the 1 hr lunch break) and come back from 3-5. The group switches meeting times to so you can never always be out by 3pm. Mondays and Fridays are generally the shortest days with Wednesdays and Thursdays being the longest.

Thanks, this is all very helpful! :)

II this morning.. submitted secondary 2 days ago. Excited to interview! Are there still seats at this point?

This is a bit random but are we supposed to buy our own stethoscope? My family wanted to give me one as a congrats gift but I didn't want them to purchase one if it's part of our tuition

It's not part of your tuition, but you are required to have one of certain quality. The one my husband bought was around $150-170. (I am not a med student, my spouse is)

Is doing army reserve separate from the HPSP? I'm planning to attend liberty with the hpsp

So after going to the recruiter I have an answer.

HPSP is different from reserve. If you qualify for HPSP (there is a GPA and MCAT requirement) the Army will pay for all tuition, books, and fees in addition to a $2,200 a month stipend. Afterwards, you (according to my recruiter) must attend an Army residency program at an Army hospital followed by 4 years active duty service.

The other program is offered for reservists called the MDSSP. According to the MDSSP, you do not recover tuition, fee, or book coverage. However, you do receive the monthly stipend of $2,200 a month. You do no service until you have graduated from medical school but you are still paid throughout school. After you graduate, you may attend any residency you can get into. At the point of graduation, you begin an 8 year service at 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Take into account that you would be reviewing Army reserve pay throughout your service (a huge help during residency).

I'm choosing to do MDSSP even though I academically qualify for HPSP.

So after going to the recruiter I have an answer.

HPSP is different from reserve. If you qualify for HPSP (there is a GPA and MCAT requirement) the Army will pay for all tuition, books, and fees in addition to a $2,200 a month stipend. Afterwards, you (according to my recruiter) must attend an Army residency program at an Army hospital followed by 4 years active duty service.

The other program is offered for reservists called the MDSSP. According to the MDSSP, you do not recover tuition, fee, or book coverage. However, you do receive the monthly stipend of $2,200 a month. You do no service until you have graduated from medical school but you are still paid throughout school. After you graduate, you may attend any residency you can get into. At the point of graduation, you begin an 8 year service at 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Take into account that you would be reviewing Army reserve pay throughout your service (a huge help during residency).

I'm choosing to do MDSSP even though I academically qualify for HPSP.
For the HPSP you can choose to do a normal/civilian residency, but you do not get paid via the government at this time. One more thing that no recruiter will really tell you is that during your 4 years of active duty, you will be sent on tour. They will use you any way that they can and they will get their money's worth. If that's something that you're already interested in doing, that's great, it's a wonderful opportunity. If you're doing HPSP purely for the scholarship, I would advise to look elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into my top choice school so I'm giving up my seat at LUCOM. Hope it goes to someone on SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing here next week. I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: 2 users
hey,

did anyone interview on the 22nd of feb?

I am waiting for some news and well, trying to be patient, but am just dying to know... Just wondering if anyone heard anything back...

will be withdrawing my interview slot for next week. good luck to all those still interviewing here!

Last edited:
I noticed on the website that Liberty has a recommended 500 on the new MCAT. Do you know if they are firm on this? Like you can't apply if you have a 499?

It's not part of your tuition, but you are required to have one of certain quality. The one my husband bought was around $150-170. (I am not a med student, my spouse is)

Thank you so much!

I noticed on the website that Liberty has a recommended 500 on the new MCAT. Do you know if they are firm on this? Like you can't apply if you have a 499?
I think it probably means that lower than that lowers your competitiveness but if you have strong GPA/extracurriculars, you would be okay. I would double check but that's the impression I get from the term "recommended"

I think it probably means that lower than that lowers your competitiveness but if you have strong GPA/extracurriculars, you would be okay. I would double check but that's the impression I get from the term "recommended"
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! Hopefully thats the case.

hey,

did anyone interview on the 22nd of feb?

I am waiting for some news and well, trying to be patient, but am just dying to know... Just wondering if anyone heard anything back...

I am interviewing at Liberty this week. When I talked to someone in admissions, they said they are likely going to wrap up interviews Friday, then send out acceptances to fill the remaining spots. Given this, I would guess by next week; but again, that's just my thought - it's possible it could be sooner.

Hope this helps.

if you don't have a 3.4, should you even bother applying here?

if you don't have a 3.4, should you even bother applying here?
Last time I spoke with admissions, they mentioned they were strict on the guidelines. I wouldn't bother applying if they don't meet the minimum standards.

Last time I spoke with admissions, they mentioned they were strict on the guidelines. I wouldn't bother applying if they don't meet the minimum standards.
do you think all DO schools are strict like that

do you think all DO schools are strict like that
Grades aren't everything that adcoms are looking. Schools really do care about a whole person. I have below average GPA and MCAT and I had 7 interview offers this cycle to include schools that I thought it was a long shot like MSU and KCU. Good luck!

Grades aren't everything that adcoms are looking. Schools really do care about a whole person. I have below average GPA and MCAT and I had 7 interview offers this cycle to include schools that I thought it was a long shot like MSU and KCU. Good luck!
when did you apply. i will have to in july, once my scores come in

MSU on their webiste says perseverance is key;)
but gpa is 3.5-3.6 do you think colleges accept people wilt lower than tha?

I applied as soon as it was open. I have far lower gpa than that and I'm currently on a tier one waitlist at MSU. Grade posted on those websites are just averages. Also, grades are only one aspect of your application that Adcoms look at.

I understand what Zincmask is saying. I totally agree. However, I can tell you from experience talking with admission at Liberty awhile back, they seemed very strict on the standards.

Hi I have few questions to current lu com students....

Can any of you comment on the attendance policy here? [Other than omm and anatomy lab I guess].
Do you guys study from home and are the lectures available online everyday?
Which littmann stethoscopes would you recommend? Littmann cardio III or classic III?
If you are looking to get a house, which area would you recommend?

Thanks!!

I applied as soon as it was open. I have far lower gpa than that and I'm currently on a tier one waitlist at MSU. Grade posted on those websites are just averages. Also, grades are only one aspect of your application that Adcoms look at.
when did you hear back and how many schools did you apply to?
i can submit in june with a pending mcat score in july

you only have one wait list so far?

I am getting anxious waiting to hear a decision. I loved this school - the campus, students, faculty...everything. I am interviewing at Campbell next week for a waitlist spot, but LUCOM is my number one.

Hey guys, so I ultimately decided to go here. Here’s the list I used to make my decision. Hopefully someone else will find it helpful: overall great atmosphere, not cutthroat, happy students, qualified faculty, urban setting, affordable housing, relatively cheap tuition, expanding research opportunities, outreach opportunities, lax but professional dress code, no mandatory attendance, systems-based curriculum, ease of setting up rotations, adjacent undergrad campus with free gym, support for Christian students, 3 hours from home, and tons of scenic outdoorsy stuff that I’ll never have time to enjoy! Can’t wait to meet you guys and best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, so I ultimately decided to go here. Here’s the list I used to make my decision. Hopefully someone else will find it helpful: overall great atmosphere, not cutthroat, happy students, qualified faculty, urban setting, affordable housing, relatively cheap tuition, expanding research opportunities, outreach opportunities, lax but professional dress code, no mandatory attendance, systems-based curriculum, ease of setting up rotations, adjacent undergrad campus with free gym, support for Christian students, 3 hours from home, and tons of scenic outdoorsy stuff that I’ll never have time to enjoy! Can’t wait to meet you guys and best of luck to those still waiting!
Hey congrats on your acceptance! Do you know if the lectures are available online the same day and if students usually study from home? Also what stethoscope do we get and where do we find the information about all that? Thank you !

I agree with all of the things you mentioned but what do you mean by relatively cheap tuition? Did you get accepted to schools with tuition greater than $40,000? Compared to my in-state schools (that I am waitlisted for) that have a tuition of around $20,000, I found the cost to be pretty high but then again beggars can't be choosers.

40k is relatively cheap for DO and private MD schools. For out of state applicants, LECOM would be the only DO school significantly cheaper. Some private MD school prices are GWU 54k, RFUMS 52k, Temple 54k

Hey congrats on your acceptance! Do you know if the lectures are available online the same day and if students usually study from home? Also what stethoscope do we get and where do we find the information about all that? Thank you !
Thanks! This was one of the few schools where I left the interview really hoping for an acceptance (after I got my first one I became mostly indifferent haha). I know lectures were available online but I’m not sure in exactly what time frame. The impression I got from current students was that lectures weren’t heavily attended and that a lot of people opted to study from home. There are mandatory group work and doctoring courses though. As for stethoscopes, I was told that they had representatives from Littmann come by before we’d need them and that they’d set us up.

I agree with all of the things you mentioned but what do you mean by relatively cheap tuition? Did you get accepted to schools with tuition greater than $40,000? Compared to my in-state schools (that I am waitlisted for) that have a tuition of around $20,000, I found the cost to be pretty high but then again beggars can't be choosers.
Relative to other DO schools and OOS options. Most of my options were above 40k, excluding LECOM. Obviously in-state is going to be cheaper.

LUCOM said they are done interviewing for this cycle

Anyone hear anything from the people that interviewed late?

I am getting anxious waiting to hear a decision. I loved this school - the campus, students, faculty...everything. I am interviewing at Campbell next week for a waitlist spot, but LUCOM is my number one.
Have you heard anything from them back, yet?!

Have you heard anything from them back, yet?!

I got an email earlier this week saying the admissions committee has made their decisions, but they were waiting on, one, for the Dean to give the final approval, and, two, waiting to see if any accepted students didn't send in their deposits by the deadline, so they would know how many seats they have open. Per the email it also said we would be notified by the end of this week about our status, but that there is a chance it won't be until next week. So far, I haven't received an email, update to my application status, or a phone call. I am guessing if I don't hear by the end of the day today, it won't be until sometime next week.

I got an email earlier this week saying the admissions committee has made their decisions, but they were waiting on, one, for the Dean to give the final approval, and, two, waiting to see if any accepted students didn't send in their deposits by the deadline, so they would know how many seats they have open. Per the email it also said we would be notified by the end of this week about our status, but that there is a chance it won't be until next week. So far, I haven't received an email, update to my application status, or a phone call. I am guessing if I don't hear by the end of the day today, it won't be until sometime next week.
Thank you! I got the same one! Waiting is so hard! Do you think they would send that just to say someone was rejected?

They either started taking people off the waitlist last week or will start this week. The process takes about 2 weeks after they start.

Thank you! I got the same one! Waiting is so hard! Do you think they would send that just to say someone was rejected?

Umm, I am not sure. My guess is everyone who interviewed recently got it. I am not sure if it's a good or bad sign that we didn't hear anything last week. I wonder how many students didn't send in their deposits. I guess we will find out soon enough.

And I am with you; waiting is brutal! I am afraid to check my email each day. Also, every time I get a phone call, I am always like, "Please say Lynchburg, VA." Oh, well...That's just how the process goes. Good luck to you.

Umm, I am not sure. My guess is everyone who interviewed recently got it. I am not sure if it's a good or bad sign that we didn't hear anything last week. I wonder how many students didn't send in their deposits. I guess we will find out soon enough.

And I am with you; waiting is brutal! I am afraid to check my email each day. Also, every time I get a phone call, I am always like, "Please say Lynchburg, VA." Oh, well...That's just how the process goes. Good luck to you.
I know it's so hard just waiting and thank you good luck to you!! Let me know if you hear anything!

Accepted students--quick question: for those of you who mailed in student health documents, etc and used usps--did your tracking say "delivered to agent" and it was received by the student health department?
I am a bit worried because when I was sending in the envelope, the post office said they could not find the zip code 24502, and sent it to 24515 (still lynchburg). I just wanna make sure the "agent" was someone in the department

Lectures are available same day. There are some students who do all their studying at school and then go home and relax, as well as students who I only see at mandatory lectures/exams and do all their studying at home. It's all about your personal preference.

congrats, you will love it here!!