Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many volunteer experiences did you guys put down on the secondary? Should I do the same ones I put on my AACOMAS application or just the "best" ones?

Members don't see this ad.

How many volunteer experiences did you guys put down on the secondary? Should I do the same ones I put on my AACOMAS application or just the "best" ones?
@annielover I had the same question. Do we even need to repeat the same experiences from AACOMAS? Or mention only new activities?

That does not sound right... Unless there is heavy heavy flow on their waitlist or they dont reject many ppl. thats just too few interviews to have in general. Most schools accept double the seats, even if they only rejected 25% of applicants post interview leaving 300 accepted thats still too few.

Not true. I just interviewed at Liberty yesterday. They said that they are only giving out 400 IIs. So that's at least two interview groups who have been told this; needless to say, sufficient evidence that it is true. Which is GREAT news to those who have been interviewed! But terrible for those who submitted late......

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not true. I just interviewed at Liberty yesterday. They said that they are only giving out 400 IIs. So that's at least two interview groups who have been told this; needless to say, sufficient evidence that it is true. Which is GREAT news to those who have been interviewed! But terrible for those who submitted late......
Okay, but the #'s just don't add up to me. Like I said, Even if they only rejected 25%...it wouldnt be enough people to fill the class imo (assuming 400 II's doesnt include people who cancel their II either)..

Waitlisted. I can't say I'm particularly torn up about it. I hope that means a spot went to someone who truly loves the school and can't imagine themselves anywhere else. LUCOM isn't that place for me, but I know it is for someone else.

@RurouniKarly : what was it about this school that was a turn off for you? PM me if you dont feel comfortable publically sharing.

Waitlisted. I can't say I'm particularly torn up about it. I hope that means a spot went to someone who truly loves the school and can't imagine themselves anywhere else. LUCOM isn't that place for me, but I know it is for someone else.
Is everyone getting waitlisted now, until they get some withdrawals? Or has someone else received an acceptance this week/end? I'm supposed to hear back in the next week or two and now I'm feeling a little stressed that I'll be put on there. Did you get any additional info?

Is everyone getting waitlisted now, until they get some withdrawals? Or has someone else received an acceptance this week/end? I'm supposed to hear back in the next week or two and now I'm feeling a little stressed that I'll be put on there. Did you get any additional info?

No, just the waitlist form letter email.

I interviewed here on friday and absolutely loved it! The staff do a great job of making everyone feel welcome. I'm anxious to hear back about the decision =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how often, but they told us on friday that the next meeting was going to be on wednesday.

Idk how often, but they told us on friday that the next meeting was going to be on wednesday.
Thanks! I was so impressed with LUCOM that if I'm accepted, I'll throw in the towel with all other schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Found an interesting article about a muslim's student experience at lucom i wanted to share. Nice to see some open minded people. Not shocked that this was even an issue though.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1271226

thought @Goro might be interested in giving it a read!

I interviewed here on friday and absolutely loved it! The staff do a great job of making everyone feel welcome. I'm anxious to hear back about the decision =/

Same. I know patience is a virtue but I am counting the hours till Wednesday.

Same. I know patience is a virtue but I am counting the hours till Wednesday.
You mean the Wednesday two weeks from now, right? Yeah, the decision is going to take ~3 weeks. I still have another week to go, and I'm trying to keep my mind busy with anything possible.

No, they said it's this Wednesday. I think the three week rule is just a general estimate.

No, they said it's this Wednesday. I think the three week rule is just a general estimate.
Right, they meet each Wednesday, but they have like a 2-3 week backlog. So tomorrow I believe they will be discussing mainly those that interviewed the week of the 11th and sending out decisions of those.

Has anyone got rejected post interview?
I would like to know this as well. So far, I've only heard of acceptances and wait lists from here. But they have to be out there, right?

EDIT: From this application cycle

Found an interesting article about a muslim's student experience at lucom i wanted to share. Nice to see some open minded people. Not shocked that this was even an issue though.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1271226

thought @Goro might be interested in giving it a read!

She's one of my friends and a fellow liberal/progressive classmate :) There's a few of us, but we're around.

I just got a secondary invite from here but do you all think that by the time I turn in my secondary and maybe get an interview, I'll just be filling a wait list spot if I'm lucky?

I just got a secondary invite from here but do you all think that by the time I turn in my secondary and maybe get an interview, I'll just be filling a wait list spot if I'm lucky?

400 invites go quickly...but miracles do happen. Get it in TODAY!

I received the secondary invite on Sat and just submitted it today. I think the process is longer for DO schools, so I think you have plenty of time to still get an invite.

Received II today! Submitted the secondary last Thursday. I can't be more excited!!!

Those that interviewed on the week of 9/7-9/11, we should be hearing about your decisions tomorrow and Friday, since the adcom met today! Let us know what happens!

WOW! just submitted my secondary yesterday and already got an II! Can't believe it. I haven't even heard from schools that I submitted secondaries to in July.

She's one of my friends and a fellow liberal/progressive classmate :) There's a few of us, but we're around.

There are even some liberal/progressive students in 2018 also!

All I am going to say is, no other medical school (that I know of) had Bernie Sanders come and speak. Even though it was at the undergrad campus, I was still able to go down and attend.

Pretty diverse group of students, even though the conservative mindset does tend to predominate. I am from Texas so I was used to being somewhat of a closet liberal anyway...I have never had anyone be disrespectful to me here. In fact, my study partner is probably one of the more right of center people I have met, and of all the people I will keep in contact with after medical school, she is highest on the list.

Most of what goes on here at LUCOM supersedes political or religious ideology. Honestly, we are in medical school, things are busy enough as it is, and anyone who spends a large amount of time worrying about these things is probably not focusing their energy on the right things.

Reactions: 2 users
WOW! just submitted my secondary yesterday and already got an II! Can't believe it. I haven't even heard from schools that I submitted secondaries to in July.
These guys are really great about rushing through the people that they really want to see. Congrats on your II, that's super exciting! PM me if you have any questions, and remember to go in there knowing that they already like you. No need to be nervous at all, these guys study your application and really care about each person they interview.

@I_am_the_pan thanks for the encouragement. I'm totally shocked, I applied her last year and didn't even receive a secondary.

Glad to see its not impossible to be a Muslim or progressive in this environment. Do you feel like you can express your true beliefs here or do you mostly hide them? If something is presented that you have a disagreement with do you feel like people are open to your perspective?

I'm mostly curious for those with alternative religious how they deal with the religious aspects of this school.

There are even some liberal/progressive students in 2018 also!

All I am going to say is, no other medical school (that I know of) had Bernie Sanders come and speak. Even though it was at the undergrad campus, I was still able to go down and attend.

Pretty diverse group of students, even though the conservative mindset does tend to predominate. I am from Texas so I was used to being somewhat of a closet liberal anyway...I have never had anyone be disrespectful to me here. In fact, my study partner is probably one of the more right of center people I have met, and of all the people I will keep in contact with after medical school, she is highest on the list.

Most of what goes on here at LUCOM supersedes political or religious ideology. Honestly, we are in medical school, things are busy enough as it is, and anyone who spends a large amount of time worrying about these things is probably not focusing their energy on the right things.

If someone made an anti evolution comment I would have a hard time not objecting though! That is something thay is completetly possible to be brought up in medical school (microbial resistance)However no reason people with opposing political beliefs cant get along.

Hey guys, a little late posting here, but I got accepted!!!!!!!!!! I got the call from the Dean about last week-ish.

From my experience, the school is great. The facilities are brand spankin' new and look really nice. They even have a field for paintballing. The location and view of the school is amazing. But what I liked the most were the people. Everyone was so welcoming, and from talking with the students, there really doesn't seem to be the gunner mentality a lot of schools have. A number of students just came up and talked to me when I was done with my interview. I know this school gets a lot of heat on this site, but I really suggest applying and interviewing here if you get the chance.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, a little late posting here, but I got accepted!!!!!!!!!! I got the call from the Dean about last week-ish.

From my experience, the school is great. The facilities are brand spankin' new and look really nice. They even have a field for paintballing. The location and view of the school is amazing. But what I liked the most were the people. Everyone was so welcoming, and from talking with the students, there really doesn't seem to be the gunner mentality a lot of schools have. A number of students just came up and talked to me when I was done with my interview. I know this school gets a lot of heat on this site, but I really suggest applying and interviewing here if you get the chance.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
Congrats! Did you intrrview on 9/4 by any chance?

I feel like I accidentally jumped the list or something haha

Does anyone happen to know if they will be interviewing every Tuesday, Friday? (Especially for the first week of November) Right now there are only 3 interview dates to choose from so I'm expecting/hoping they will add more later on. I will call on Monday to ask but just thought I'd see if anyone here knows.

If someone made an anti evolution comment I would have a hard time not objecting though! That is something thay is completetly possible to be brought up in medical school (microbial resistance)However no reason people with opposing political beliefs cant get along.

From my experience, people here are really open to new ideas. Something came up about politics and everyone was really respectful and genuinely curious and open about different opinions and viewpoints.

From my experience, people here are really open to new ideas. Something came up about politics and everyone was really respectful and genuinely curious and open about different opinions and viewpoints.
It's true, this is one of the most open and friendly locations that I have ever visited

@Stephanie906 Congrats! Has anyone who has already interviewed heard anything yet? I'm hoping we all hear back this week!

Got accepted!! Such a relief and so excited!