Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How strict are they with the no MCAT score below 125? my c/p section on my MCAT was very tough, and I am worried that I got a 124. Would that get me screened?

How strict are they with the no MCAT score below 125? my c/p section on my MCAT was very tough, and I am worried that I got a 124. Would that get me screened?

I'm in the same boat. I have above a 500 on the MCAT, but do have a 123 and 124 section scores. So let's hope they give some leeway!

I received a secondary today. I don't meet thier anatomy requirement and they sent me one anyway...?

I received a secondary today. I don't meet thier anatomy requirement and they sent me one anyway...?
They are probably sending you the secondary on the condition that you finish all required requirements before matriculation.

Does LUCOM have mandatory attendance? Also, how do they weigh MCAT/GPA? Than you guys :) and good luck to everyone this cycle!!

I'm in the class of 2020 if anyone has questions! We don't start until August 1st so I have some time to answer questions

I'm in the class of 2020 if anyone has questions! We don't start until August 1st so I have some time to answer questions
How strict are they with the "no MCAT section score below 125"? My score will probably be a score of 505-509, but I may have a 124 in c/p.

Does LUCOM have mandatory attendance? Also, how do they weigh MCAT/GPA?

Does LUCOM have mandatory attendance? Also, how do they weigh MCAT/GPA?
For lecture it's not! And I personally think they try to consider GPA and MCAT evenly. I had an average MCAT score, based on LUCOM's stats from previous admissions. And my GPA was a 3.6. I think my essays caught their attention the most though. I love the school's mission.

How strict are they with the "no MCAT section score below 125"? My score will probably be a score of 505-509, but I may have a 124 in c/p.
Well I applied with the old MCAT, but I can still give you some great news. On one of the sections, I scored below their recommended level (got a 7 instead of an 8). Because of this, I didn't receive a secondary application. The school sent me an email saying that I did not get past the initial screening, but they would have a committee review my app in 30 days to finalize their decision. They must have changed their minds after taking a closer look at my app (and personal statement) and I got the secondary! Immediate interview. And acceptance call the next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I applied with the old MCAT, but I can still give you some great news. On one of the sections, I scored below their recommended level (got a 7 instead of an 8). Because of this, I didn't receive a secondary application. The school sent me an email saying that I did not get past the initial screening, but they would have a committee review my app in 30 days to finalize their decision. They must have changed their minds after taking a closer look at my app (and personal statement) and I got the secondary! Immediate interview. And acceptance call the next week.

Nice, the rest of my app is spot on, but I know I probably didnt do better that a 124-125 on chem/phys. That section is a nightmare on the new MCAT

Got an interview invite! Will be there August 29th. Anyone else going then? I'm very excited :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone else on SDN gotten an II from Liberty? Edit: I submitted my secondary super early and no further contact since then. Does anyone know if I still have a chance at an II?

Anyone else on SDN gotten an II from Liberty? Edit: I submitted my secondary super early and no further contact since then. Does anyone know if I still have a chance at an II?

I did! I'll be there end of August

You might want to call and ask if everything is complete with your application. Maybe they're waiting for a LOR or something?

Last edited:
II!!!

Got an interview invite! Will be there August 29th. Anyone else going then? I'm very excited :)

Debating if I should join you on the 29th or 9/2 :)

can anyone confirm the secondary?
1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.
2. In 200-300 words, please describe how you will have changed the world as an osteopathic physician twenty years from now.

Reactions: 1 users
II for 8/25. I was a little surprised at their turnaround but I'm not gonna complain.

II!!!

1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.
2. In 200-300 words, please describe how you will have changed the world as an osteopathic physician twenty years from now.

Join me! We can be friends

II!!!

I would also like to know. The prompts seem easy though

do you guys think non-Christians could still talk about their faith for the secondary? Or what about atheists? (not me, but i'm just wondering how ppl would assess this and be assessed?)

Hi! I was wondering if you knew anything about the question I posted above this^

do you guys think non-Christians could still talk about their faith for the secondary? Or what about atheists? (not me, but i'm just wondering how ppl would assess this and be assessed?)
Yeah in general for christian schools they admit non-christians, as long as your secondary answers their question. Can be faith based or not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Does anyone know about this whole 20 day ordeal after your application is complete they give you a decision for interview in 20 days ?

Does anyone know about this whole 20 day ordeal after your application is complete they give you a decision for interview in 20 days ?

They seem to get back to you VERY quick. I had an interview invite 2 days after submitting my secondary.

Edit: would anyone interviewing on August 29th like to get dinner with me and my wife afterwards? (Or before?)

My application has been verified and I sent it just yesterday to the schools I'm interested in. I received a request for a secondary from CCOM (yay!) this morning but from Liberty I received an auto-reply with... "Thank you for your interest in Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received from the (AACOMAS); however, your MCAT scores have not yet been verified."

My MCAT is definitely verified. Is this a common occurrence? Thinking about just waiting a couple days to see if that updates.

My application has been verified and I sent it just yesterday to the schools I'm interested in. I received a request for a secondary from CCOM (yay!) this morning but from Liberty I received an auto-reply with... "Thank you for your interest in Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received from the (AACOMAS); however, your MCAT scores have not yet been verified."

My MCAT is definitely verified. Is this a common occurrence? Thinking about just waiting a couple days to see if that updates.

Call em!

Dang that gets me worried. If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats and were you instate?

I am out of state and my LizzyM is about 64 (with lopsided GPA:MCAT ratio). Have you been under review for more than 20 days?

So do we really need to re enter our volunteering info again on their secondary? It is kind of redundant

Called LECOM. Got a quick email reply saying my test scores are showing as N/A. Called AACOMAS next and apparently AAMC hasn't sent my MCAT information even though it was checked off on my application. :bang:

Called LECOM. Got a quick email reply saying my test scores are showing as N/A. Called AACOMAS next and apparently AAMC hasn't sent my MCAT information even though it was checked off on my application. :bang:

It doesn't matter what you put down for the release of your MCAT score to other schools, you have to actually log-in to the AAMC website after your scores have been posted and release them from the portal. Did you do that? I only say this, because a LOT of students are confused when they think their MCAT has been released because they checked a box saying so, but they don't realize you have to actually log onto the portal and do it manually.

It doesn't matter what you put down for the release of your MCAT score to other schools, you have to actually log-in to the AAMC website after your scores have been posted and release them from the portal. Did you do that? I only say this, because a LOT of students are confused when they think their MCAT has been released because they checked a box saying so, but they don't realize you have to actually log onto the portal and do it manually.
I did do that, but it was last cycle when I did not finish the application. So it was either over a year or the score release did not carry over from the previous cycle. No big deal but thanks for clarifying as this completely slipped my mind!

Current 2nd year student from California here to answer questions. Feel free to PM me as well.

Regarding mandatory attendance, 2 courses and their corresponding lab components require attendance - OMM and a class called Patient Centered Medicine (clinical stuff). Otherwise, most lectures are not mandatory. In addition, our ethics course had quizzes on certain days so that's when you needed to be there (ethics is taught once a month). They may change it but that's where we're at right now.

I can't really answer to your MCAT score questions since they changed the MCAT scoring during my application cycle.
Do you know where the schools is at concerning 3rd and 4th year rotations? Which sites are available?

Current 2nd year student from California here to answer questions. Feel free to PM me as well.

Regarding mandatory attendance, 2 courses and their corresponding lab components require attendance - OMM and a class called Patient Centered Medicine (clinical stuff). Otherwise, most lectures are not mandatory. In addition, our ethics course had quizzes on certain days so that's when you needed to be there (ethics is taught once a month). They may change it but that's where we're at right now.

I can't really answer to your MCAT score questions since they changed the MCAT scoring during my application cycle.
Oh...and why is there no mandatory attendance for anatomy labs? :eek:

How are interviews performed? Any information on rotations? Are they ward based? I understand you're not at that point just yet, but maybe you have some info to share.

Also, in general at what level is your satisfaction with the school's curriculum? I understand every new school has some hiccups, and I'd like to hear how you feel about it all :)

Thank you!

Do you know where the schools is at concerning 3rd and 4th year rotations? Which sites are available?

We have enough rotation sites for all students. Half students are able to stay in Lynchburg whereas the rest are distributed among: Palestine, TX
Virginia Beach, VA area
Danville, VA
And Some small town in Illinois

Elective rotations in your 4th year can be wherever you want

Sorry I accidentally deleted my previous post instead of editing it to include anatomy lab:

Regarding mandatory attendance, 2 courses and their corresponding lab components require attendance - OMM and a class called Patient Centered Medicine (clinical stuff). Anatomy lab (not the lecture component) is mandatory as well. Otherwise, most lectures are not mandatory. In addition, our ethics course had quizzes on certain days so that's when you needed to be there (ethics is taught once a month). They may change it but that's where we're at right now.

How are interviews performed? Any information on rotations? Are they ward based? I understand you're not at that point just yet, but maybe you have some info to share.

Also, in general at what level is your satisfaction with the school's curriculum? I understand every new school has some hiccups, and I'd like to hear how you feel about it all :)

Thank you!

Interviews are performed with 2 separate faculty members, and 1 on 1 with each 30 min long.

Not on rotations yet but from what I understand they are all wards based.

In terms of the curriculum, obviously being a new school there were some challenges. However, I do appreciate the faculty are always striving to improve the curriculum, scheduling, and course content. Our curriculum goes well with a lot of the boards materials I've been using to study so I believe we're on a great track. If you look at the biographies of our faculty members, many of them are extremely qualified and come from very distinguished backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was wondering if you knew anything about the question I posted above this^
Sorry for the late response. Yes, talking about your faith even if it is not Christian is fine. They are very open-minded. I don't know how they would react to an essay about applying atheist values to the school tho.

Sorry I accidentally deleted my previous post instead of editing it to include anatomy lab:

Regarding mandatory attendance, 2 courses and their corresponding lab components require attendance - OMM and a class called Patient Centered Medicine (clinical stuff). Anatomy lab (not the lecture component) is mandatory as well. Otherwise, most lectures are not mandatory. In addition, our ethics course had quizzes on certain days so that's when you needed to be there (ethics is taught once a month). They may change it but that's where we're at right now.

According to the website, they want a minimum of 500 (25?) with a 125 or higher in each subject. However I do not think they abide to this rule always because I made it past the initial screen with a 503 (28?) and a 124 in one subject.

Anybody know the post-interview acceptance rate here??