Liberty University DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol is the outrage with LUCOM the fact that they plan to incorporate creationist and religious ideologies into their medical curriculum?

If not who cares, they'll get my application.

With that said, COCOA really should do a better job screening schools. If the DO profession wants to build up its rep it has to start giving accreditation to research/well known schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Boy who you telling?? If it helps me avoid a re-application and a 3rd MCAT retake, consider me your classmate as of now lol.

As a DO, it doesn't matter the school. What matters is the work you put into getting a good Step 1 score and put in the work in order to excel at clinical rotations.

I'm in too!

Boy who you telling?? If it helps me avoid a re-application and a 3rd MCAT retake, consider me your classmate as of now lol.

As a DO, it doesn't matter the school. What matters is the work you put into getting a good Step 1 score and put in the work in order to excel at clinical rotations.

I'm in too!

Members don't see this ad :)
"When LUCOM gains Provisional accreditation, we will be able to recruit, accept applications and admit students. We are striving to achieve this accreditation recognition by summer, 2013."

and from their handbook:

"If LUCOM receives Provisional Accreditation from the COCA (in the summer or fall of 2013),
applications will be accepted at that time. Going forward from 2014, applications will be accepted annually beginning in June of each year. "

Expect them to join AACOMAS Fall 2013.

Great... Can't wait for them to have that accreditation so I can add them to my list...

Hav u guys all taken biochem lab?

I can't imagine a first year school opening late in the cycle will stick to a biochem lab prereq

I agree. By the time their cycle gets under way people will have already committed to other schools or be too heavily invested in the process of other schools. I guarantee their first year MCAT average to be around a 23-24. Biochem lab CANNOT be a requirement. They will have 5% of the pre-med population applying. Not many schools offer biochem lab.

I agree. By the time their cycle gets under way people will have already committed to other schools or be too heavily invested in the process of other schools. I guarantee their first year MCAT average to be around a 23-24. Biochem lab CANNOT be a requirement. They will have 5% of the pre-med population applying. Not many schools offer biochem lab.

I mean they have it listed on their website...

Along with being consistent with their Christian mission..

Reactions: 1 user
I mean they have it listed on their website...

Along with being consistent with their Christian mission..

If it's a big hassle for the majority of their applicants, then they can change the requirement. They make the rules. They can change them.

You guys think if you went to LUCOM you'd be learning some quack form of medicine?

How are the rotation sites, anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to set it up on your own.

They signed a contract with a local hospital system for 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Centra Health Systems - so like Lynchburg General Hospital and local affiliated medical groups.

It seems like they might start accepting applications this cycle--probably by October.

Thats troubling...I was really hoping that they would wait until next year so that the C/O 2019 can deal with the large influx of students :(

I was hoping they'd never open.

They took their website down. They are up to something...I am thinking they might be available next week.

As far as stats probably 23-24 MCAT; 3.2-3.3 gpa

It seems like they are taking it seriously. If the worst thing they do is give an opportunity for more people to become doctors who's passion is medicine, then who are we to say that this is a terrible school? ANd if they have clinical sites, rotations, and provide for the students, then who are we to decree this is a bad thing for the medical community? Look at Loma Linda in California, they have been educating doctos for years, and the allopathic community is no worse for wear.

Just an FYI you can now apply to Liberty through AACOMAS

Just applied. This school may not be for everyone, but I am a Christian and want to be a physician so this makes sense. Good luck to everyone.

This is good news.. Waiting for my MCAT score so I can apply to LUCOM....

Last edited:
Best of luck to all that are applying to this schools and Gold bless (no pun intended) :)

I actually got my BS from Liberty. I applied today to their DO school. This is a good school and I have no doubt the DO program will be awesome.

I know they can not discriminate...but anyone know how tough it would be for an Atheist to attend there?

I actually got my BS from Liberty. I applied today to their DO school. This is a good school and I have no doubt the DO program will be awesome.

Quis vos vocant bonum et quid bonum non eadem sunt.

Woohoo, Interview Invite. I just called and confirmed with Mr. Ousley for January 6th. Blessed and excited. Thank you God.

I don't know if they would though. I am a Muslim and got an interview invite.
hey hope its not too late to ask! how was your interview experience? I am a Muslim and a person of color :thinking: I'm not sure if the environment would be suitable for me.....

hey hope its not too late to ask! how was your interview experience? I am a Muslim and a person of color :thinking: I'm not sure if the environment would be suitable for me.....

I wouldn't worry about your race or religion. If the school operates under a non-discrimination mandate- as all schools do- than them being partial to you would cause some serious trouble. Also, even though it is a "Christian" school, I think the emphasis is on the traits of Christianity (ie. love thy neighbor etc.). Not really towards converting individuals or countering another person's spirituality.

Don't be discouraged!

I wouldn't worry about your race or religion. If the school operates under a non-discrimination mandate- as all schools do- than them being partial to you would cause some serious trouble. Also, even though it is a "Christian" school, I think the emphasis is on the traits of Christianity (ie. love thy neighbor etc.). Not really towards converting individuals or countering another person's spirituality.

Don't be discouraged!
Thank you :)

This might end up like Oral Roberts University School of Medicine.

The proliferation is irresponsible and will result in further stratification among DO schools. PDs are a risk-averse bunch and they'll stick with the schools they know, based on their experience with previous graduates. The new schools will be viewed with suspicion for some time. In a few years' time, the question will be "DO, but from what school?" similar to "MD, but US or Caribbean?"

The right of DOs to practice medicine is enshrined in federal and state laws. DOs have become part of the American healthcare industry. Besides, nobody wants to see a repeat of the California debacle.

This is the most likely outcome. I have been watching the match lists of the more established DO schools and match rates to more competitive specialties/institutions has been going up not down. Furthermore the admission standard to several programs has even exceeded low-tier MD programs. Schools like WesternU, midwestern, NOVA ect will continue to match well(for DO schools) even with the proliferation of crap programs due to their established reputations.

Hey, I know this is an extremely late addition on this thread, but to all you liberal haters of Christianity, conservatism, and morality, stop projecting your own ignorance and stop trash talking on Liberty University. For all I know, the good moral values that LUCOM teaches actually qualifies it more to have a medical school more than any of those liberal schools out there.
Heh. "Projecting ignorance".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

That sound you hear off in the background is the banhammer being cocked.

Hey, I know this is an extremely late addition on this thread, but to all you liberal haters of Christianity, conservatism, and morality, stop projecting your own ignorance and stop trash talking on Liberty University. For all I know, the good moral values that LUCOM teaches actually qualifies it more to have a medical school more than any of those liberal schools out there.