Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I haven't done much research on this school but I have read throughout this thread that LUCOM doesn't force their beliefs on their students. I was wondering if any current students could answer what it would be like to attend this school as a gay student? I haven't exactly looked up their code of conduct/policy, but would it be super uncomfortable?

Hi guys, I haven't done much research on this school but I have read throughout this thread that LUCOM doesn't force their beliefs on their students. I was wondering if any current students could answer what it would be like to attend this school as a gay student? I haven't exactly looked up their code of conduct/policy, but would it be super uncomfortable?

I would suggest against it if you have other options. In general I looked for schools that had gay straight alliances, included sexual orientation in their non discrimination policies and were in generally gay friendly cities. That's just my general suggestion for choosing where to apply. I also would suggest emailing the admissions department at places you are interested in/unsure about and asking questions. Specifically I would ask what policies they have in place to protect LGBTQ students, how LGBTQ health is incorporated into the curriculum, what type of organizations they have for LGBTQ students etc. You could also ask them to put you in contact with multicultural affairs and they can answer many of those questions more in depth.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So just curious....I added Liberty, as well as some others, a few weeks ago. This past Wednesday I got a personal call from James Cook (Director of Admissions) asking if I was going to submit my secondary. I was a bit shocked receiving a personal call from the Director of Admissions. Just thought I would ask to see if this is a normal thing for LUCOM, or if they were genuinely interested in me because my MCAT is not stellar.

Reactions: 1 user
So just curious....I added Liberty, as well as some others, a few weeks ago. This past Wednesday I got a personal call from James Cook (Director of Admissions) asking if I was going to submit my secondary. I was a bit shocked receiving a personal call from the Director of Admissions. Just thought I would ask to see if this is a normal thing for LUCOM, or if they were genuinely interested in me because my MCAT is not stellar.
Just curious, when did they send you the secondaries after they got your primaries? I'm still waiting on a secondary since 10/10 when they said they received my primaries. I too have a pretty non-stellar MCAT.

I got a phone call as well and was shocked too. But my conversation went more like, "did you receive our secondary", "if not, you should check your spam folder". Apparently they had sent me their secondary right after my primary was submitted but I didn't notice until a month later with the phone call.

Just curious, when did they send you the secondaries after they got your primaries? I'm still waiting on a secondary since 10/10 when they said they received my primaries. I too have a pretty non-stellar MCAT.
I got the secondary almost immediately, either the day I added the schools or the day after, can't remember. Secondary email is posted 10/16. That is also the date AACOMAS said they released my application to the school.

I would suggest against it if you have other options. In general I looked for schools that had gay straight alliances, included sexual orientation in their non discrimination policies and were in generally gay friendly cities. That's just my general suggestion for choosing where to apply. I also would suggest emailing the admissions department at places you are interested in/unsure about and asking questions. Specifically I would ask what policies they have in place to protect LGBTQ students, how LGBTQ health is incorporated into the curriculum, what type of organizations they have for LGBTQ students etc. You could also ask them to put you in contact with multicultural affairs and they can answer many of those questions more in depth.

Thanks for the input! Do you think asking such questions would be detrimental to admission though? I just want to keep my options open.

I got a phone call as well and was shocked too. But my conversation went more like, "did you receive our secondary", "if not, you should check your spam folder". Apparently they had sent me their secondary right after my primary was submitted but I didn't notice until a month later with the phone call.
Interesting, do you remember who called you? He did mention that they were having problems with gmail accounts, but they he went on to say that he liked my application and that they would like to interview me, but I needed to obviously submit the secondary before that could happen. I just keep going back in forth in my mind to think of what ulterior motives could he have? I keep thinking that it doesn't really make sense to call individual students to submit their secondaries just to make $50. But then, maybe they do...

Thanks for the input! Do you think asking such questions would be detrimental to admission though? I just want to keep my options open.
If it's detrimental to your admissions, I seriously doubt that is a school you would want to attend

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting, do you remember who called you? He did mention that they were having problems with gmail accounts, but they he went on to say that he liked my application and that they would like to interview me, but I needed to obviously submit the secondary before that could happen. I just keep going back in forth in my mind to think of what ulterior motives could he have? I keep thinking that it doesn't really make sense to call individual students to submit their secondaries just to make $50. But then, maybe they do...
I know it wasn't the dean, it was some female I believe. But wow the dean offered you an interview pre-secondary! Impressive ;). The lady I spoke with didn't mention anything about my application, just that I should submit it ASAP for interview consideration. I felt there was an ulterior motive with that call, but yours sounds less suspicious haha, it's the dean!

If it's detrimental to your admissions, I seriously doubt that is a school you would want to attend
Ya, it's not. Let's just hope I don't bomb my interview at my top school then.

Ya, it's not. Let's just hope I don't bomb my interview at my top school then.
Idk what your other options are but I would say the vast majority of schools are at the very least neutral to gay students, some have put in a lot of effort to be gay friendly, I go to DMU and I would say we are one of those schools.

Liberty is the opposite end of the spectrum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk what your other options are but I would say the vast majority of schools are at the very least neutral to gay students, some have put in a lot of effort to be gay friendly, I go to DMU and I would say we are one of those schools.

Liberty is the opposite end of the spectrum.
:corny:

I had a similar experience back in September. Mr. Cook sent me an email saying he was interested in my application but I was waiting on MCAT scores. As soon as I got those, they released their secondary. I followed up with James to let him know I had completed the secondary and he told me I would be invited to interview. The next week I was placed on the wait list for interview and haven't heard anything since 10/1.

2.) Evolution is not science.

zl8Be3wb.jpg

How did you get into medical school again?

adwz5RO.png

Reactions: 4 users
I had a similar experience back in September. Mr. Cook sent me an email saying he was interested in my application but I was waiting on MCAT scores. As soon as I got those, they released their secondary. I followed up with James to let him know I had completed the secondary and he told me I would be invited to interview. The next week I was placed on the wait list for interview and haven't heard anything since 10/1.
Same happened for me, although I now have an interview scheduled.

zl8Be3wb.jpg

How did you get into medical school again?

adwz5RO.png

Well I don't feel like I really need to explain how I got in since you seem to be good at trolling. I'd hate to spoil all the fun! ;)

Ad hominem attacks don't actually solve problems, and SDN isn't the place to hash out all the details on why your meme is theologically ignorant. However, if you have questions about LUCOM or my personal experience here, I'd love to answer them.

I can't believe I have to ask this from a group of the nation's future physicians, but can we please keep this forum professional? Physicians are held to a higher standard. If you cannot be respectful of others, you will struggle as a doctor if you even make it that far. Lack of respect and professionalism will kill your chance at residency. Practice respect and professionalism now so that they become habit. You'll be less likely to let some snarky comment slip when someone who actually matters is listening.

Is anyone interviewing Nov 4th? Also, when do they give out the names of the interviewing professors? I have not received those. I emailed, but did not receive a response on that question, so assuming they no longer give out the names? So excited!

Is anyone interviewing Nov 4th? Also, when do they give out the names of the interviewing professors? I have not received those. I emailed, but did not receive a response on that question, so assuming they no longer give out the names? So excited!
Interview November 3, and I also have not received any confirmation email or names of my interviewers.

if you dont mind sharing, what was your MCAT?

Interviewing with Dr. Hemric and Dr. Kribs this week, any advice or suggestions?

Interview November 3, and I also have not received any confirmation email or names of my interviewers.
It looks like some have received that information, and others have not. I am going to send an email, as it would be helpful. Will let you know if I find anything out.

Interviewing with Dr. Ianuzzo and Dr. Seiler on Monday Nov 3rd...

Interviewing with Dr. Hemric and Dr. Kribs this week, any advice or suggestions?

Dr. Hemric is our biochem prof. Dr. Kribs is an OMM genius. Both are awesome :D. Make sure you know what you're talking about when Dr. Kribs asks about OMM (what it is, etc. hint - not chiropractic/massage lol).

It looks like some have received that information, and others have not. I am going to send an email, as it would be helpful. Will let you know if I find anything out.

They don't always send it out right away because they switch our lectures around a few weeks before they take place, and they can't lecture and interview at the same time so maybe thats why they wait?

Hi guys, I recently submitted by secondary and was wondering, approx. how long did it take for some of you to hear back regarding interviews? Thank you

What...it's not called the massagofascial technique?

Interviewing with Dr. Lockwood and Dr. Hemric - tips?

Dr. Liu, and Dr. Weigner. Would appreciate tips as well.

Interview invite yesterday! Very excited to interview here!

Interviewing with Dr. Lockwood and Dr. Hemric - tips?

Lockwood is our other OMM genius. Study up on what OMM is all about :) Hemrick is a biochemist. Just be yourself! Focus on why your mission and vision fit LUCOMs.

Dr. Liu, and Dr. Weigner. Would appreciate tips as well.

Which Dr. Liu? B. Liu or Y. Liu? B is an anatomist, Y is a microbiologist. Dr. Weigner is our EM guy/technology expert :) same advice as above. Just be yourself :) PM me if you have any specific questions :)

Which Dr. Liu? B. Liu or Y. Liu? B is an anatomist, Y is a microbiologist. Dr. Weigner is our EM guy/technology expert :) same advice as above. Just be yourself :) PM me if you have any specific questions :)
It just says Dr. Liu so I'm not sure. Thanks for the advice! Excited to interview Monday :)

quick question for those who got secondaries soon after submitting the primary application/ or got personal phone calls....my primary app was released on the October 24 and I haven't heard anything from Liberty as of yet. Would you advise calling/emailing James Cook for an update? Seemed pretty applicant friendly since he's calling people (never heard of that before) and was wondering if thats a decent idea or if I should just sit and wait.

*PS, yes I have checked my spam folder lol

Last edited:
quick question for those who got secondaries soon after submitting the primary application/ or got personal phone calls....my primary app was released on the October 24 and I haven't heard anything from Liberty as of yet. Would you advise calling/emailing James Cook for an update? Seemed pretty applicant friendly since he's calling people (never heard of that before) and was wondering if thats a decent idea or if I should just sit and wait.

Worth a shot. I know someone that had theirs released before yours and hasn't gotten one. We think it's a prescreen for him but he hasn't called to confirm. I haven't got a call from anyone but the emails were friendly.

I emailed Barry Ousley and thats how I got my interview last year. He will personally look over your file and either submit it to the committee or decide not to. Great guy! His email is [email protected]. Good luck!

Thats quite daring, yet impressive. Not a bad idea to follow up on. Thank you for that tip. Just to be clear did you email him before receiving the secondary invite or after? Also what were your stats (gpa/MCAT IF you don't mind); I ask because my MCAT is at the minimum they accept.

Haha I was desperate. Hey it worked though! MCAT 23 sci gpa 3.3? Something like that. Overall gpa 3.6. Not great standards getting in lol but Im currently somewhere above the class avg. We won't know rank until after this trimester is over. Far as I know, someone with a 19 mcat got in last year. Don't know who it is but I was told they are somewhere near the top of our class. Kudos whoever you are :) Goes to show MCAT doesn't tell you everything.

I'm MCAT 22 sci gpa 3.4, overall 3.5. Seems worth a try if thats the case. And you sent him that email before even getting a secondary invite? lol. Might even call him if thats more personal.
Also, in the email you sent, were you restating your interest in Liberty or just along the lines of asking for a status update?

I had gotten a secondary but hadn't heard anything since. I was afraid of not getting in anywhere so I applied and was accepted to the Jan. term at St. Georges and I was weeks away from hopping on a plane. I emailed basically asking if I should take this "good" opportunity (realizing now - DEFINITELY not good lol) or if I should wait for something "great". Barry emailed me back saying I could come in for an interview and they bumped me up to the closest opening since anything later than mid Dec. Id be out of the country. I felt like he went well out of his way to accommodate me. I fell in love with the school when I got there and Ive loved every minute of being here ever since. Its not just Barry who bends over backwards to help students, its every faculty and staff member here. I might sound like the LUCOM cheerleader lol but Im just being honest. I hope you get an invite!

Thank you. With that detail you just gave me, I still think it may not hurt to email even though I haven't received a secondary yet. Would I be too overzealous in doing so? My application was released on the 24th of October, so I don't know if I should wait then...(decisions, decisions lol)

Thank you. With that detail you just gave me, I still think it may not hurt to email even though I haven't received a secondary yet. Would I be too overzealous in doing so? My application was released on the 24th of October, so I don't know if I should wait then...(decisions, decisions lol)

Cant hurt. They are sifting through 3000+ applications right now. Overzealous people stand out. But....I am just now realizing that its only been 7 business days since your application was released lol. Waiting is the worst/most painful part of this WHOLE process so I see where you are coming from lol. On the other side, its possible that they are just now getting around to seeing apps that were complete 10 business days ago (I don't really know, this is just for example). I would say give it one more week. Then it will be 2 weeks total (I think I got my secondary after 2 weeks or so). THEN email Barry politely checking on the status of your application.

In the mean time, relax! If I could change one thing about how I handled the application/waiting process, I would force myself to relax. In my opinion, the whole application process was more stressful than what med school is lol (I might take that back come 2nd and 3rd year). At least in school, you pretty much know whats going to happen, even if you are studying 10+ hours a day. Spend time with family and friends :) PM me if you have any specific questions :)

I had gotten a secondary but hadn't heard anything since. I was afraid of not getting in anywhere so I applied and was accepted to the Jan. term at St. Georges and I was weeks away from hopping on a plane. I emailed basically asking if I should take this "good" opportunity (realizing now - DEFINITELY not good lol) or if I should wait for something "great". Barry emailed me back saying I could come in for an interview and they bumped me up to the closest opening since anything later than mid Dec. Id be out of the country. I felt like he went well out of his way to accommodate me. I fell in love with the school when I got there and Ive loved every minute of being here ever since. Its not just Barry who bends over backwards to help students, its every faculty and staff member here. I might sound like the LUCOM cheerleader lol but Im just being honest. I hope you get an invite!
I knew you were a cheerleader ;) go team go

Thank you so much for your help. That was extremely helpful. I will certainly heed your advice with waiting. Have to restudy for the MCAT to begin with. And I probably will ask you questions in future. Haha. But for now thanks a lot. Really appreciate the encouragement.

Does anyone know what LUCOM's cutoffs are? namely for the MCAT?