Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the II. Did you get that today? I'm only asking because I've been on interview hold for a month now. Emailed Mr. Ousley yesterday and haven't heard back yet.

I actually received the email on October 24th, but it went to my spam folder so I just realized it 2 days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of an organization or medical mission that I could go on prior to (pending) admittance next fall after having worked at a hospital abroad and done research? I'm trying to stay involved in medicine as best I can before I start school - sort of beginning to feel stagnant and won't to further my medical exposure and experience in the US or abroad. I suppose I just haven't found the right thing to do that would both strengthen my application (should I need it/not get accepted) and allow me to be heavily involved medically like I want to be. I've thought about EMT, but would I have much time after finishing the first classes to work before next August? Any other ideas? I figured this may be the best place to ask since everyone was so helpful and exceptionally welcoming in the interview session.

II!!! Also scheduled for 12/1. However I will be coming in a few days earlier because the flights were cheaper to stay longer. I would love to link up with any current students to pick their brain on the school. I'll buy lunch! :) I don't have the email yet to know who I am interviewing with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
to the people who have interviewed at lucom and especially the people who have been accepted to lucom and have decided to go there, what is your opinion of lucom based on your visit there and your research on location, residency prospects, reputation etc?? Isn't it a bit disconcerting that even the famous Goro of SDN always tells pre-meds "I cannot recommend LUCOM"?

If I submit my primary and secondary in Dec, do I still have a shot? 26-28 mcat, 3.3-3.5 gpa. what are their lor requirements? thank you so much for your help!

to the people who have interviewed at lucom and especially the people who have been accepted to lucom and have decided to go there, what is your opinion of lucom based on your visit there and your research on location, residency prospects, reputation etc?? Isn't it a bit disconcerting that even the famous Goro of SDN always tells pre-meds "I cannot recommend LUCOM"?

If I submit my primary and secondary in Dec, do I still have a shot? 26-28 mcat, 3.3-3.5 gpa. what are their lor requirements? thank you so much for your help!

I recommend applying as soon as you can. Having interviewed there, I strongly recommend reserving your own judgement and not read what SDN says. I think a lot of people are surprised at how good the school is compared to what they read and hear on SDN. Give it a shot, IMHO

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if Goro would have taken the same stance when our dean started rvucom or any of the other schools he helped launch? So is the issue academics or religion?

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed and was offered an acceptance. I really really liked the school and had a difficult time choosing to go elsewhere. However, i work in a healthcare setting on the west side of the country and there have been multiple patients I have met who have said they lived in or near virginia. I have brought up every time that I interviewed at liberty for medical school and they all have given me a horrified look and started going off on statements made by the founder and so on. All in all I don't think many people of our generation will care if we go to liberty for school but I do fear that some of the middle aged and elderly population may be semi skeptical about a physician that attended liberty if they already have a negative attitude toward the school. Again it was a great school and even though people have the wrong idea about it I don't want their misunderstanding of the school used to judge me as a physician.

I wonder if Goro would have taken the same stance when our dean started rvucom or any of the other schools he helped launch? So is the issue academics or religion?
If I understood some of his posts correctly... I believe his distaste of LUCOM is driven by sociopolitical issues surrounding the parent organization -- and not explicitly anything about religious affiliation or academic quality of the medical program.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed and was offered an acceptance. I really really liked the school and had a difficult time choosing to go elsewhere. However, i work in a healthcare setting on the west side of the country and there have been multiple patients I have met who have said they lived in or near virginia. I have brought up every time that I interviewed at liberty for medical school and they all have given me a horrified look and started going off on statements made by the founder and so on. All in all I don't think many people of our generation will care if we go to liberty for school but I do fear that some of the middle aged and elderly population may be semi skeptical about a physician that attended liberty if they already have a negative attitude toward the school. Again it was a great school and even though people have the wrong idea about it I don't want their misunderstanding of the school used to judge me as a physician.

will u be attending liberty?

If I understood some of his posts correctly... I believe his distaste of LUCOM is driven by sociopolitical issues surrounding the parent organization -- and not explicitly anything about religious affiliation or academic quality of the medical program.

Yes, that is what I understood as well. However, if he has no beef with the academic quality of the program, why does he repeatedly tell applicants in the WAMC forum that "I cannot recommend LUCOM". I feel like a lot of applicants, especially ones with slightly weaker stats, can benefit by applying to LUCOM.

Has anyone from the October 13th group who was suppose to hear back 31st of october-first week of august hear back from LUCOM?

My interview is scheduled for 11-11! Any advice from those of you who have interviewed already?

My interview is scheduled for 11-11! Any advice from those of you who have interviewed already?

Who are you interviewing with? I just had my interview with Dr. Patterson and Dr. Ojuola. Both were very nice. Dr. Patterson was a bit stop-and-go, but I was told to expect that as he is very thoughtful and likes to take his time. Dr. Ojuola was extremely friendly and the interview was very relaxed and conversational. I was extremely impressed with the whole experience. The facilities were great, and the location is beautiful. I enjoyed being in Lynchburg. The most remarkable part, however, was the enthusiasm and care of the admissions staff, the faculty, and the students that we interacted with. I had some doubts before my interview, but LUCOM is definitely my top choice now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the October 13th group who was suppose to hear back 31st of october-first week of august hear back from LUCOM?

Nope, they said they would be meeting on the 28th but I guess decisions haven't been made.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't know who I'm interviewing with. They sent me the "interview information" email and I looked through it but it's generic.

No one specified that the interview details should be kept under wraps, so I am going to be detailed. Someone let me know if this is going too far, and I will happily delete it. I will not say who I interviewed with. The admissions team does scope out your SDN accounts, and knew who I was and where I had interviews so far. So be professional on here.

If you have any very distinguishing characteristics, be prepared to talk about them. I talked 20 minutes about my major. Also know the school's mission and be able to give examples of why you fit the mission. Be prepared to talk about your views about the Christian faith/differences in your faith to Christianity/your lack of faith, and even to pray in your interview. One of my questions was, "has anyone ever discouraged you from pursuing medicine?" They asked me about my favorite volunteering endeavors. Overall very conversational. One of my interviewers was more conversational than the other. I was asked how I felt about the new health care laws. Do not be nervous, be yourself. I was so nervous at first, as it was my first interview, but they take good care of you and they make sure to make the day very positive.

I personally did not get the "tell me about yourself, why do, why medicine" questions that I was expecting, but I'm sure different interviewers ask different things.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't know who I'm interviewing with. They sent me the "interview information" email and I looked through it but it's generic.

They will send it to you a few days before. They are overloaded with applications and are holding to acceptance meetings this week, so I imagine they will get it to you asap. Good luck you will do great!

Last edited:
No one specified that the interview details should be kept under wraps, so I am going to be detailed. Someone let me know if this is going too far, and I will happily delete it. I will not say who I interviewed with. The admissions team does scope out your SDN accounts, and knew who I was and where I had interviews so far. So be professional on here.

If you have any very distinguishing characteristics, be prepared to talk about them. I talked 20 minutes about my major. Also know the school's mission and be able to give examples of why you fit the mission. Be prepared to talk about your views about the Christian faith/differences in your faith to Christianity/your lack of faith, and even to pray in your interview. One of my questions was, "has anyone ever discouraged you from pursuing medicine?" They asked me about my favorite volunteering endeavors. Overall very conversational. One of my interviewers was more conversational than the other. I was asked how I felt about the new health care laws. Do not be nervous, be yourself. I was so nervous at first, as it was my first interview, but they take good care of you and they make sure to make the day very positive.

I personally did not get the "tell me about yourself, why do, why medicine" questions that I was expecting, but I'm sure different interviewers ask different things.

They will send it to you a few days before. They are overloaded with applications and are holding to acceptance meetings this week, so I imagine they will get it to you asap. Good luck you will do great!

Thanks very much for the advice. After being placed on the alternate list for MUCOM today I was feeling pretty discouraged and nervous, so thanks for helping to put my mind at ease. One of their first years graduated from the university I attend and she loves it, so I'm hopeful I will too.

What Dre said. I also agree with zippity, this school was already at the top of my list, but after the interview I was impressed by the enthusiasm of everyone we encountered. And just an encouragement to those who are reading what others are saying in this thread... GO TO THE INTERVIEW and decide for yourself if this is a school you could see yourself at. They do an excellent job at explaining who they are and what they are about.

As far as interview, one of my interviewers wanted to see how much science I remembered as I am 3 years out of undergrad. Still not sure if that interview went well or not. I did not receive any ACA questions, but I did get why DO/medicine? Like others have said, focus on how you fulfill/fit with LUCOM's mission. They go out of their way to emphasize what they are looking for, and that is examples of serving others. They want students who want to be physicians for the right reasons. At least, that is the impression I got.

And like Dre said.. If I went too far, I will delete my comment as well.

Thanks very much for the advice. After being placed on the alternate list for MUCOM today I was feeling pretty discouraged and nervous, so thanks for helping to put my mind at ease. One of their first years graduated from the university I attend and she loves it, so I'm hopeful I will too.

I am sure you will like it and will do fine.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/low-mcat-advice-with-schools.1091062/#post-15561642

"I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology."

Reactions: 4 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/low-mcat-advice-with-schools.1091062/#post-15561642

"I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology."

Thanks. I guess we all can't be political liberal leftists. But his other two statements are just ignorant and unfounded.

After how long does Mr. Ousley reply? I emailed him yesterday but haven't heard back.

He is usually pretty prompt at replying. Last time I emailed him, he responded in minutes.

thanks for your response.

From this point onward, can we all agree to engage in civil, voluntary discussions without shouting "troll" or "bigot" to anyone who raises concerns?

What...and take out all the spice of posting in an anonymous forum...

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have a question for you

Do you ever have multiple exams during the same week or on the same day?

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have a question for you

Do you ever have multiple exams during the same week or on the same day?
Yes...soon we will have 4 exams in one week

To everyone who has interviewed, how long before your interview did you receive the "itinerary" email that names the individuals you are interviewing with?

To anyone who has gotten an interview, how long was the timespan between submission of your secondary and your interview invite? Also, does Liberty-COM send confirmation emails upon receiving a secondary?

To anyone who has gotten an interview, how long was the timespan between submission of your secondary and your interview invite? Also, does Liberty-COM send confirmation emails upon receiving a secondary?

I got an email the day after I submitted. II came 9 or 10 days after that confirmation email. Awesome turnaround.

To everyone who has interviewed, how long before your interview did you receive the "itinerary" email that names the individuals you are interviewing with?

I think I got it the Friday before my Monday interview.

Hey fellow applicants! I applied back in October for LUCOM. They initially emailed me (Oct 10) saying that they would let me know in the next 30 days if I should complete a secondary. It has been 30 days. Should I call them or just be patient?

Hey fellow applicants! I applied back in October for LUCOM. They initially emailed me (Oct 10) saying that they would let me know in the next 30 days if I should complete a secondary. It has been 30 days. Should I call them or just be patient?

I found their secondary in my spam box. I still haven't done it....but admissions did call me at home to make sure I submit it.

So maybe I should call them?? I have constantly checked my spam....
Couldn't hurt. October 10th was the same date I received the initial email too, but the secondary was only a few days later.

Has anyone that interviewed on November 4th heard back yet? I had a nightmare that I missed the admissions call so the admissions committee just decided to give me a denial. HAHA. Yeah I know they wouldn't actually do that but the dream really scared me.

I interviewed November 3rd and haven't heard back. Anxious as well, but I'm sure we will hear back soon.

I have the chance to schedule an interview with them. But I have some questions. The school is not accredited, will that make it very difficult to match? If I graduate and the school becomes accredited will that apply to me? In other words is it a huge risk for me or anyone to attend this unaccredited school?

I don't want to shell out the cash for a plane ticket if it is a huge risk.

I interviewed October 20th and still haven't heard back.
I had an interview on October 21 and they said to expect to hear back this week, but nothing yet :nailbiting:. Do they call even if you got rejected?

I interviewed on October 21st as well. I'm assuming they're backed up and will hopefully notify by the end of this week.