Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's hope to hear back by this Friday! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview on October 21 and they said to expect to hear back this week, but nothing yet :nailbiting:. Do they call even if you got rejected?
I just got the call (9 at night) and was accepted. Hoping you hear soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call (9 at night) and was accepted. Hoping you hear soon!
I just got the call also!!!!!! Omg so happy!!!! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and for everyone waiting good luck!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys both plan on attending?
For now it's definitely in the plan. I have a couple more interviews waiting for me! So will make my final decision once I hear back from all. What about you??

For now it's definitely in the plan. I have a couple more interviews waiting for me! So will make my final decision once I hear back from all. What about you??

Same here!

Hi everyone and congrats on all the acceptances! Regarding the interview, approx. how many days (or weeks) before did you receive the email regarding the itinerary and any other important information? Thanks

Accepted last night! Got the call around 530 PDT from Virginia. Interviewed on 10/6...took really long to finally hear back but I am incredibly relieved and excited

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the chance to schedule an interview with them. But I have some questions. The school is not accredited, will that make it very difficult to match? If I graduate and the school becomes accredited will that apply to me? In other words is it a huge risk for me or anyone to attend this unaccredited school?

I don't want to shell out the cash for a plane ticket if it is a huge risk.

If possible I would at least go for the interview and check it out for yourself. Right now, they are provisionally accredited and are up for full accreditation in 2018. I don't think that will be an issue as they have very experienced faculty on board and lots of money from Liberty to help too. They already have rotations in place with a number of hospitals in southern and central Virginia as well. I was nervous reading all of the studentdoc posts about this school, but when I finally saw it myself, I became very interested in this school.

The faculty and staff really seem to care about the students and want to make sure this school succeeds. They will literally bend over backwards to make sure their students are comfortable. During my visit, I got the impression they are very family oriented as well. Many of the current students I met have started families, and there is a tremendous support system for them. Also, the facility is really state of the art and beautiful - probably one of the nicest campuses I have seen.

The religious aspect made me nervous at first, and they really emphasize that they are a Christian school. I'm a pretty liberal guy from the Bay Area in California so you can imagine how much of a culture shock this was for me. I think that people can be pretty passionate about their beliefs and it is pretty evident here on studentdoc as well. Yes, Liberty University has strict rules it places on their undergrads (i.e. no drinking under 21 and so on) but these are not enforced on their medical students. They continuously expressed that they have people from all sorts of religious backgrounds attending their medical school and I met some other students from California who were not evangelical christians. I think the main belief of the school that they try to instill in the medical curriculum is having a servant's heart like Jesus. I'm not very religious but I can definitely be behind a school that is passionate about serving people. (It is also a requirement to do service during one of your breaks either through their mission trip or in a local community in need.) If you have any questions about the school or the interview process, PM me and I can try to help more.

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptances! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Liberty let you know within two weeks of your interview what their decision was. I thought I remember seeing that on the website somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone have any insight?

Congrats on the acceptances! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Liberty let you know within two weeks of your interview what their decision was. I thought I remember seeing that on the website somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone have any insight?

After our interview, they said 21 days. That came and passed, and I freaked out. I emailed admissions, and apparently they had pushed it back a couple more weeks. I just found out last night making it just over a month to hear back. From reading previous posts, I guess they called people from various interview dates yesterday as well.

I have the chance to schedule an interview with them. But I have some questions. The school is not accredited, will that make it very difficult to match? If I graduate and the school becomes accredited will that apply to me? In other words is it a huge risk for me or anyone to attend this unaccredited school?

It will be accredited by the time the first class graduates. From page 50 on http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...ments/COM-accreditation-standards-current.pdf

"Upon the initial review for accreditation status prior to the anticipated graduating date of that COM's
first class, the COCA will either:
 Award Accreditation if the accreditation standards are clearly being exceeded or met. The
date of accreditation will be established as the graduating date for the COM's first class; or
 Terminate Provisional accreditation if the accreditation standards are not being met. Such
termination will be published within thirty (30) days of final action. "

It is highly unlikely the school will not receive full accreditation. Like pigs flying or Kazakhstan putting a man on the moon tomorrow.

Also, if the school fails in its accreditation process, (pages 61, 62) they would most likely have a "teach-out plan" or the US Dept of Education would work one out. This means that its students would be transferred to other schools to finish their education.

:bag:anyone else hear back from Dr.Martin that interviewed on the 4th?
I'm afraid that I'm going to answer the phone and he's just going to say: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

:bag:anyone else hear back from Dr.Martin that interviewed on the 4th?
I'm afraid that I'm going to answer the phone and he's just going to say: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

I interviewed on the 4th, and I got an acceptance call on 11/12 at ~7:45 pm! I am extremely excited! I hope you're wait ends soon with good news!

Every brand new school first receives provisional accreditation. Full accreditation can not be received until the first class has graduated. In order to receive the provisional accreditation necessary to seat your first class, COCA must be fairly certain that the school's chances of receiving full accreditation are exceedingly high. What good is COCA if they allow schools to open under provisional accreditation that have little to no chance of receiving full accreditation upon graduation of their first class?

So, if COCA gives provisional accreditation (the normal status that all new schools receive) then they have essentially given their stamp of approval, saying that they believe the school will be a candidate for full accreditation upon graduation of their first class (a requirement for receiving full accreditation.)

So, while saying that the school is "not accredited" is technically true, the rest of that story is that it is going through the normal process of accreditation that all new schools must go through, and it is supported by the body that grants accreditation, meaning that short of some extra worldly event (proof of widespread cheating, loss of financial backing, non-qualified faculty, etc.) full accreditation of LUCOM upon graduation of their first class is a foregone conclusion so far as COCA is concerned, IMHO.

Does anyone know the number for admissions? I still haven't heard on whether or not I'm accepted and I'm just worried because this school is my top choice. :eek:

Does anyone know the number for admissions? I still haven't heard on whether or not I'm accepted and I'm just worried because this school is my top choice. :eek:

IMHO it isn't appropriate for you to contact Admissions about whether or not a decision has been made regarding your status.

The appropriate way these interactions proceed is that admissions contacts you when they have made a decision. You contacting them is bad form.

Turned down my offer of acceptance today. It pains me because I really support the mission and ideas of LUCOM, but it is just too far from home. Western University in Oregon won out due to location.

Good luck to everyone who waiting to hear back and good luck to all the accepted students starting school next fall.

God Bless!

What does deferred status after interview mean? What are chances to later get acceptance. Really liked the school and considered it top choice.

What does deferred status after interview mean? What are chances to later get acceptance. Really liked the school and considered it top choice.
Did you receive that as an email?

Mind sharing your stats? Just interviewed here today. Loved it.

I also interviewed on the 4th and I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back, LUCOM is definitely my top choice! Good luck!

and I would also advise everyone to attend the interview! Such a great school!
Interviewed same day, have not heard back.

Interviewed in August and was waitlisted. I am missing biochem. Can anyone confirm what I thought I heard from admissions which is that this must be complete by January? I called admissions yesterday, they said they would call back but never did.

I received an email from Barry this morning about my interview. He gave a brief overview of the day and some nearby hotels to stay in as well as driving directions. Did anyone else receive this email? I was hoping that it would be the "itinerary" email that stated who I would be interviewing with. Just wondering if everyone who has interviewed received this email as well?

I received an email from Barry this morning about my interview. He gave a brief overview of the day and some nearby hotels to stay in as well as driving directions. Did anyone else receive this email? I was hoping that it would be the "itinerary" email that stated who I would be interviewing with. Just wondering if everyone who has interviewed received this email as well?

You get the itinerary about a week before.

Was told we would hear back 3 days after my interview and it's been a month! I've never been so anxious in my life, would love to attend. Good thing it seems to be the case with most people

Has anyone created a FB page for the 2015 incoming class? I was accepted last year and deferred for this upcoming fall. The FB for the 2014 class is amazing and it would be nice to follow their lead.

Was told we would hear back 3 days after my interview and it's been a month! I've never been so anxious in my life, would love to attend. Good thing it seems to be the case with most people
I am rooting for ya!!

Interviewed in August and was waitlisted. I am missing biochem. Can anyone confirm what I thought I heard from admissions which is that this must be complete by January? I called admissions yesterday, they said they would call back but never did.
Hi, have you heard back from them about this? It would be interesting to find out.

Still waiting on acceptance packet.. Any recent acceptance people get their packet yet?

Received the call today, ACCEPTED. It is a lovely school, with beyond amazing facilities!

For some reason, my acceptance email with deposit info was also sent to my LU email spam box. Make sure you guys check there, apparently it sat there for a whole week

I submitted my secondary on November 3 and received a confirmation email saying someone would be touch in 7-10 business days but I haven't heard anything yet. Should I call them or just wait still?

Interviewing with Dr. Swanson and Dr. Leonard. Any current students or ones who have already interviewed have any tips? Thanks in advance!