Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I should further clarify that weighted lottery seems to be only if you want to stay local. So it's not necessarily the 'best' experiences. It's the hospital that is closest to you where you live. If you're willing to travel, I assume you're in the other pool.

As someone that has gone through rotations, I can tell you. Closest is not always best. There's a reason I opted NOT to stay in my local community hospital and instead chose to rent a place and do my pharmacy rotations two hours away.

Members don't see this ad.

If you applied to the school then you have obvious intrest in it. There's no need to bash it for any reason. So enough with the trolling.

Reactions: 1 user
If you applied to the school then you have obvious intrest in it. There's no need to bash it for any reason. So enough with the trolling.
I would agree with that sentiment. Though it seems this thread attracts a lot of people that aren't applying. I suppose it's possible that you could have just applied blanket style to every DO school in the country. I wouldn't know ANYONE that did that >_>

Members don't see this ad :)
If I might ask, if you are not attending this school or applying, why are you in this thread?

A couple of reasons.

1. As a future DO I like to stay informed about how newer schools like this might impact the future of the profession/DO reputation.

2. I thought this policy was worth really pointing out to people interested in applying because it could have a huge impact on students who are single. It could also be beneficial to some too, so if the school's trying to sell itself as family friendly, I'm not really critical as long as they're transparent.

Reactions: 1 users
I would agree with that sentiment. Though it seems this thread attracts a lot of people that aren't applying. I suppose it's possible that you could have just applied blanket style to every DO school in the country. I wouldn't know ANYONE that did that >_>
Ha speaking of which my buddy did that, he's very wealth and could afford it. When he researched lucom a little more he decided it wasn't for him but he doesn't go on here trolling. Its fine stating opinion, but attacking is a whole different situation

A couple of reasons.

1. As a future DO I like to stay informed about how newer schools like this might impact the future of the profession/DO reputation.

2. I thought this policy was worth really pointing out to people interested in applying because it could have a huge impact on students who are single. It could also be beneficial to some too, so if the school's trying to sell itself as family friendly, I'm not really critical as long as they're transparent.

Regarding how new schools impact the future of the profession, it'll probably be about the same. I know everyone seems to think it matters more than it does, but the school matters less than the student. What is interesting is how the individual DO schools accept/reject applicants.

For example, I've been following the LECOM Bradenton thread just for curiosity. I applied there, but I pretty much applied to all of the DO schools (I have a preference for DO). LECOM rejected me pre-interview. I thought it was mostly due to my history at that school, but I noticed an interesting trend in that thread: if you had higher stats, you got rejected. Every person in that thread with an MCAT over 30 got rejected, several pre-interview, but some post. Several 33s and 32s got rejected pre-interview. It makes me wonder if LECOM wants to cement its reputation as a degree mill.

Conversely, LUCOM offered me an interview opportunity that was two weeks away from the date of invite (granted, I could have scheduled later if it didn't work) and offered me acceptance 3 days later. I'd say my 33 MCAT (11/11/11) and GPAs (3.7 in pharmacy, 4.0 post-bacc masters) had a LOT to do with me being in the batch that got accepted on the 19th.

I've been looking at a LOT of DO specific threads, and stat-wise, I'm not seeing a lot of difference among accepted students. Lower scores are getting accepted nearly across the board in DO schools.

Are people with better stats just not applying? Or are they actively rejecting people with better stats?

Regardless, those aren't the kind of questions you're going to see answered on SDN. But it still makes me wonder.

Regarding how new schools impact the future of the profession, it'll probably be about the same. I know everyone seems to think it matters more than it does, but the school matters less than the student. What is interesting is how the individual DO schools accept/reject applicants.

For example, I've been following the LECOM Bradenton thread just for curiosity. I applied there, but I pretty much applied to all of the DO schools (I have a preference for DO). LECOM rejected me pre-interview. I thought it was mostly due to my history at that school, but I noticed an interesting trend in that thread: if you had higher stats, you got rejected. Every person in that thread with an MCAT over 30 got rejected, several pre-interview, but some post. Several 33s and 32s got rejected pre-interview. It makes me wonder if LECOM wants to cement its reputation as a degree mill.

Conversely, LUCOM offered me an interview opportunity that was two weeks away from the date of invite (granted, I could have scheduled later if it didn't work) and offered me acceptance 3 days later. I'd say my 33 MCAT (11/11/11) and GPAs (3.7 in pharmacy, 4.0 post-bacc masters) had a LOT to do with me being in the batch that got accepted on the 19th.

I've been looking at a LOT of DO specific threads, and stat-wise, I'm not seeing a lot of difference among accepted students. Lower scores are getting accepted nearly across the board in DO schools.

Are people with better stats just not applying? Or are they actively rejecting people with better stats?

Regardless, those aren't the kind of questions you're going to see answered on SDN. But it still makes me wonder.
each school has its own unique preferences, which is why people are advised to apply to multiple places. You can't get fixated about one school. The current applicant pool quality makes it that those with stats as low as 3.2-3.3/24-25 have a good chance of getting an acceptance somewhere provided there are no red flags and they apply early/broadly. Even easier chances with better scores.

each school has its own unique preferences, which is why people are advised to apply to multiple places. You can't get fixated about one school. The current applicant pool quality makes it that those with stats as low as 3.2-3.3/24-25 have a good chance of getting an acceptance somewhere provided there are no red flags and they apply early/broadly. Even easier chances with better scores.
Truth.

You guys ignored this when I posted before, but is there any info on if you have a number on the waiting list etc.? I absolutely loved Liberty when I came for the interview. I could totally see myself moving here if given the opportunity. I am on the waiting list.

Does anybody know how many open seats they have available currently and how many they had on the waiting list last year?

You guys ignored this when I posted before, but is there any info on if you have a number on the waiting list etc.? I absolutely loved Liberty when I came for the interview. I could totally see myself moving here if given the opportunity. I am on the waiting list.
No idea about the waitlist

Does anybody know how many open seats they have available currently and how many they had on the waiting list last year?
Nope. .. but i know that last year the waitlist did not get used very much but that doesn't mean this year will be the same.

These both sound like excellent questions for asking the office of admission. Otherwise, those of us in the thread know about as much as you do.
I didn't ignore your question, I just didn't have an answer.
Best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the office of admissions and they didn't pick up. I left a message, but they never called back. Should I just email Ms. Mendez?

I called the office of admissions and they didn't pick up. I left a message, but they never called back. Should I just email Ms. Mendez?

Let me know what they say, please, if you get ahold of them. I am also on the waitlist. Just had my transcripts sent to them. Tried to call and email.

Let me know what they say, please, if you get ahold of them. I am also on the waitlist. Just had my transcripts sent to them. Tried to call and email.

Ok so I got a hold of Ms. Mendez. She said the waiting list is not in any sort of order. They review every waitlisted application as often as possible and call us when/if we are accepted. I couldn't find out how many were on the waiting list, it felt awkward to ask on the phone honestly lol. Here's to hoping we both get in. I am praying everyday for myself. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? :)

Ok so I got a hold of Ms. Mendez. She said the waiting list is not in any sort of order. They review every waitlisted application as often as possible and call us when/if we are accepted. I couldn't find out how many were on the waiting list, it felt awkward to ask on the phone honestly lol. Here's to hoping we both get in. I am praying everyday for myself. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? :)

Thanks.
I interviewed on November 18th, and they called me like December 8th to tell me I'm waitlisted. How about you?

It's funny how different the attitude is of those who actually do attend. I'm thankful to be apart of a class that that goes out of its way to serve and help its fellow student.
I applied to this school. Put on waitlist because I am presently doing an MBS and they wanted to see my grades and then just got news of being accepted. Unfortunately, the timing was too late for me and I am accepted to a school much closer to home. :) Wanted to say that I do not think you will find nicer staff and administration who as you said are willing to help and serve its fellow student. This is a newly established school but I think will do great things in the future for the community. In my interviews (5) I do not think you could find a more awesome medical building. It blew me away and my father who is an osteopath was very much impressed. To all who are, were or will be accepted, I think you will be very pleased. ALL schools have their pros and cons. Be aware of that. I wish all who are matriculating, good luck! The timing and location was just not good for me to attend.

Remember what I said about LUCOM not being for everyone? LUCOM gets an abnormally high percentage of married students because of this. If you don't like it, then you may not be the type of student to whom they are catering.

Is it "fair?" Honestly? No. But what is "fair?" That is a relative term.

If you look at my posts in this thread, I would think I've been very objective. I'm telling what I know of the school from my firsthand experience. This school will NOT be a good fit for every student. And as I said before, that's ENTIRELY ok.

If you are a student that is accepted into more than one school, you should go to the school that you feel is the best fit. If you are only accepted into one school, on top of being luckier than the vast number of applicants overall, your decision is much easier.

I am not advocating this school over all schools. I am advocating the advantages of this school versus other schools. Or telling about parts of the school that were a good fit for ME. I applied very broadly because

1) I can.

2) I wanted to make sure I didn't go to A medical school, I went to the school that was best for ME.

If aspects of this school do not appeal to you, then don't apply.

If you simply want to bash the school based on stats, then your argument is not particularly valid. I'm sure @DoctorSynthesis will trot out his 20 year old paper on how MCAT correlates to board scores. And perhaps it does. But tell me, how many of you have WORKED in a hospital with physicians? How many of you that have can tell me what their board scores are?

Go ahead and tell me. I'll wait.

Ok. Now that that's over. What matters is this school WILL graduate physicians. Some of them will be good physicians. Some will undoubtedly be mediocre. I'd say that's par for the course for most any school since stats don't make the physician. There is SO much more to being an actual licensed healthcare practitioner than board scores. There's book knowledge, there's an ability to think clinically. There's bedside manner. There's aptitude for business. There's an ability to handle working conditions that are stressful. There's time management. There's familiarity with EMR systems.
There is far more to making a good doctor than having the best score on A test or the best GPA. After all, most of us are qualified for medical school, yet only a small percentage of us get in. What separates those of us that get in from those that do not?

There's always more to the picture.

I have immediate family and friends who have attended different medical schools. All schools have their quirks, rules and regulations that everyone is not going to like. Be cognizant of everyone who will not be accepted to medical schools this year, be grateful you were accepted and bite the bullet with some things you disagree with. That is just how I feel. After talking to my relatives who have attended both osteopathic and allopathic, they ALL had gripes. But they all became Doctors in spite of it! That is the goal. If you someday run your own medical school, you can have your own rules! Hey, it could happen!

I have immediate family and friends who have attended different medical schools. All schools have their quirks, rules and regulations that everyone is not going to like. Be cognizant of everyone who will not be accepted to medical schools this year, be grateful you were accepted and bite the bullet with some things you disagree with. That is just how I feel. After talking to my relatives who have attended both osteopathic and allopathic, they ALL had gripes. But they all became Doctors in spite of it! That is the goal. If you someday run your own medical school, you can have your own rules! Hey, it could happen!

Touchpause13 school of osteopathic medicine FTW

Thanks.
I interviewed on November 18th, and they called me like December 8th to tell me I'm waitlisted. How about you?

I interviewed on December 16th. They never called me to tell me I was on the waiting list. They just sent an email. I think I got the email the week after I interviewed.

I interviewed on December 16th. They never called me to tell me I was on the waiting list. They just sent an email. I think I got the email the week after I interviewed.
It is our policy to call each applicant after the Admissions Committee. We prefer to talk with each applicant as it is our style.

If we cannot reach someone, it is usually because we have an incorrect number on file, and then unfortunately, we have to send an email. If we reach a Voicemail recording, whether accepted, placed on the waitlist, or denied, we only leave a message stating that we wish to discuss your application with LUCOM. We do not leave the decision on a voicemail. Please try reaching us if you wish and we can share more in detail our waitlist procedures.

Humbly,
James

Reactions: 4 users
It is our policy to call each applicant after the Admissions Committee. We prefer to talk with each applicant as it is our style.

If we cannot reach someone, it is usually because we have an incorrect number on file, and then unfortunately, we have to send an email. If we reach a Voicemail recording, whether accepted, placed on the waitlist, or denied, we only leave a message stating that we wish to discuss your application with LUCOM. We do not leave the decision on a voicemail. Please try reaching us if you wish and we can share more in detail our waitlist procedures.

Humbly,
James

It certainly seems to fit with your very personal style. Good, bad, or in between, you like to let them know via the most personal way possible.

Humbly,
James

Actually, I just checked online, and my phone number is correct on my application. I am not sure what happened. Ms. Mendez helped me tremendously on my questions about the waiting list procedures. Is there anything that people on the waiting list can do while we wait for a final decision? Thank you.

Last edited:

Humbly,
James[/QUOTe

Not many schools offer this one on one consideration. It says a lot about your staff and administration.

Not many schools offer this one on one consideration. It says a lot about your staff and administration.

Has anyone who got accepted just prior to the Christmas break received their acceptance package yet in the mail? Just wondering

Has anyone who got accepted just prior to the Christmas break received their acceptance package yet in the mail? Just wondering
Not yet. I'm not expecting it until maybe next week.

Primary released on 12/4 and still no secondary. My GPA is well above average for the school but my mcat is below. Has this happened to anyone else?

Primary released on 12/4 and still no secondary. My GPA is well above average for the school but my mcat is below. Has this happened to anyone else?
I think you need an MCAT of at least a 25 to automatically get a secondary. If it's not, they do a case-by-case basis. Your best bet is to call or email them, but you might not have made the cut. :/

Do you have time to try and retake the MCAT?

I think you need an MCAT of at least a 25 to automatically get a secondary. If it's not, they do a case-by-case basis. Your best bet is to call or email them, but you might not have made the cut. :/

Do you have time to try and retake the MCAT?
Can't retake until april. I will call and see what is up

Hi everyone, I have a quick question for any current students. I know Liberty uses the trimester system (Fall, Spring, Summer), but how is this different than the regular 2-semester system most schools use? Is it just we take a lighter load during each trimester than we would in a regular semester at another school?

I hope this makes sense what I'm asking lol

Hi everyone, I have a quick question for any current students. I know Liberty uses the trimester system (Fall, Spring, Summer), but how is this different than the regular 2-semester system most schools use? Is it just we take a lighter load during each trimester than we would in a regular semester at another school?

While I think it would be great to get this answered... I wonder how they will be able to compare it to two-semester system they've never had. The spiral system of classes made it appear that it won't be an issue. You'll have the 'same' course load, it'll just be shorter periods but eventually covering all the same things. At least that's how it looks. Maybe some of the current students can elaborate on this.

hey! received a ii today and was just seeing what airport to fly into/what are the good hotels in the area.

Thanks!

Just got an II today!! Schedule mine for 2/6. If anyone wants to team up on car and hotel I'm down. Flying in on the 5th. Also anyone have any advice!

I just submitted my secondary earlier this week and I have received an interview invite for January. You definitely should still submit.
I got my interview! Thanks for the encouragement before!

I wonder how full the class is.... Does anyone have any interview advice?!

We take about 24 credits per trimester, except for the 3rd one (more like 14 plus credits for electives) for the first year. The first trimester is 4 months and the second and third are 3 months. OMM and patient-centered medicine span the full length of the trimester, while other (much MUCH MORE intense) classes are 4-6 weeks long. These other classes are the anatomy/physiology classes based on system. We learn OMM based on the system we are going over in A&P, and same with our PCM class. Its actually really neat how they tie it all together that way. In the A&P courses, they also give us pathology and pharmacology for that particular system. The pharm is light right now and we will hit it hard next year, but Im glad we get more experience with it before we just dive in. We also have standardized patients based on systems (I could be wrong but I believe we are doing an SP with each A&P now also). This lets us get more clinical experience too. I don't know....I personally love the curriculum. Many 3rd year students have minimal experience with clinical stuff but thats not the case here. They teach everything in a way that ties it all together so that you aren't scatter-brained all the time. Not saying its not hard, because those 4-6 week classes are very intense and take up most of our time. But I am saying that they have simplified the learning process (not watering it down, just doing it smarter). Our profs are great and all have a sense of humor. They make it fun :)

Good luck to those of you who have applied! Regardless of what people say on here (because the only ones with negative things to say have never actually visited the school), students here are generally happy. I mean, you're studying a ton but between classes and in your spare time, there is lots to do and the faculty is very friendly/approachable. There are minimal hiccups for being a first class, and we are paving the way for the class of 2019! We have already established a bunch of local chapters of national organizations and we are getting our name out there in the community! You'll love it here.

We take about 24 credits per trimester, except for the 3rd one (more like 14 plus credits for electives) for the first year. The first trimester is 4 months and the second and third are 3 months. OMM and patient-centered medicine span the full length of the trimester, while other (much MUCH MORE intense) classes are 4-6 weeks long. These other classes are the anatomy/physiology classes based on system. We learn OMM based on the system we are going over in A&P, and same with our PCM class. Its actually really neat how they tie it all together that way. In the A&P courses, they also give us pathology and pharmacology for that particular system. The pharm is light right now and we will hit it hard next year, but Im glad we get more experience with it before we just dive in. We also have standardized patients based on systems (I could be wrong but I believe we are doing an SP with each A&P now also). This lets us get more clinical experience too. I don't know....I personally love the curriculum. Many 3rd year students have minimal experience with clinical stuff but thats not the case here. They teach everything in a way that ties it all together so that you aren't scatter-brained all the time. Not saying its not hard, because those 4-6 week classes are very intense and take up most of our time. But I am saying that they have simplified the learning process (not watering it down, just doing it smarter). Our profs are great and all have a sense of humor. They make it fun :)

Good luck to those of you who have applied! Regardless of what people say on here (because the only ones with negative things to say have never actually visited the school), students here are generally happy. I mean, you're studying a ton but between classes and in your spare time, there is lots to do and the faculty is very friendly/approachable. There are minimal hiccups for being a first class, and we are paving the way for the class of 2019! We have already established a bunch of local chapters of national organizations and we are getting our name out there in the community! You'll love it here.
Seems you really love the school! That's awesome! I'm stoked for the interview, do you have any advice ? The area is great for my family and I love the mission! Do they have any reach out service stuff planned? Thanks for all the info!

Congratulations to those who got invites for interviews recently. I hope you guys enjoy the interview at this school as much as I did. There is nothing to be afraid of, the interviewers are very kind people with amazing stories. Just go with the flow. You will also gasp at how beautiful the campus like I did haha. I have yet to see that beautiful a campus. :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those who got invites for interviews recently. I hope you guys enjoy the interview at this school as much as I did. There is nothing to be afraid of, the interviewers are very kind people with amazing stories. Just go with the flow. You will also gasp at how beautiful the campus like I did haha. I have yet to see that beautiful a campus. :love:
You attending 2015?

I'm really praying that I will. I am only on the waiting list. :cryi: I am also blessed to be considered even that much, so I am thankful for sure even if I don't make it.
When did you interview?

December 16th.
They must be in that stage of wait listing and seeing who will attend. I wouldn't worry. Show them how interested you are and I'm sure something great will come of it!!!!

They must be in that stage of wait listing and seeing who will attend. I wouldn't worry. Show them how interested you are and I'm sure something great will come of it!!!!

Thanks! I wish you blessings for your interview, like I said, they are very kind people. Nothing to worry about. I did not have anybody tell me that before my interview, but I found out for myself as soon as i got there!