Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my interview! Thanks for the encouragement before!
That is awesome! Best of luck, although I'm sure you won't need it.

Members don't see this ad.

I flew directly into Lynchburg. If you want interview advice, PM me.

As for hotels, take your pick. I went with super 8

We take about 24 credits per trimester, except for the 3rd one (more like 14 plus credits for electives) for the first year. The first trimester is 4 months and the second and third are 3 months. OMM and patient-centered medicine span the full length of the trimester, while other (much MUCH MORE intense) classes are 4-6 weeks long. These other classes are the anatomy/physiology classes based on system. We learn OMM based on the system we are going over in A&P, and same with our PCM class. Its actually really neat how they tie it all together that way. In the A&P courses, they also give us pathology and pharmacology for that particular system. The pharm is light right now and we will hit it hard next year, but Im glad we get more experience with it before we just dive in. We also have standardized patients based on systems (I could be wrong but I believe we are doing an SP with each A&P now also). This lets us get more clinical experience too. I don't know....I personally love the curriculum. Many 3rd year students have minimal experience with clinical stuff but thats not the case here. They teach everything in a way that ties it all together so that you aren't scatter-brained all the time. Not saying its not hard, because those 4-6 week classes are very intense and take up most of our time. But I am saying that they have simplified the learning process (not watering it down, just doing it smarter). Our profs are great and all have a sense of humor. They make it fun :)

Good luck to those of you who have applied! Regardless of what people say on here (because the only ones with negative things to say have never actually visited the school), students here are generally happy. I mean, you're studying a ton but between classes and in your spare time, there is lots to do and the faculty is very friendly/approachable. There are minimal hiccups for being a first class, and we are paving the way for the class of 2019! We have already established a bunch of local chapters of national organizations and we are getting our name out there in the community! You'll love it here.

You are saying A&P. This is gross anatomy like most medical schools, with cadavers and such, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are saying A&P. This is gross anatomy like most medical schools, with cadavers and such, no?
Yes. It's the nicest cadaver lab I've ever seen

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. It's the nicest cadaver lab I've ever seen

Thanks. The whole med college is new there, yes? I have gotten mixed reviews on this school. And since it's new, well. . .

Thanks. The whole med college is new there, yes? I have gotten mixed reviews on this school. And since it's new, well. . .
Most of the detractors aren't even interested in the school. That should tell you something. I was honestly buying into it until I interviewed. I was very impressed by what I saw.

Most of the detractors aren't even interested in the school. That should tell you something. I was honestly buying into it until I interviewed. I was very impressed by what I saw.

Thanks for your reply. It's also troubling though, b/c not any stats on matching, since the program is new. That's a little scary also. Getting into MS is one thing. Getting into a good residency program, well, that's another, and it would be nice to know how these graduates will be received in the PGE system.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply. It's also troubling though, b/c not any stats on matching, since the program is new. That's a little scary also. Getting into MS is one thing. Getting into a good residency program, well, that's another, and it would be nice to know how these graduates will be received in the PGE system.
Only one way to find out. Match rates are only so useful though. YOU are what determines if you match. If you bust your hump in school, crush your boards, and work your tail off on rotations, you will match anyplace you want.
Stats matter. A lot. But nothing matters more than your audition rotations. Rotations can make you or break you. You better believe that people notice what you do.
You don't have to know everything. What matters even more is what you do when you DON'T know something. When they ask you to look it up, do it. Do it that night and get a good answer. Nothing is worse than being useless AND lazy. It seems obvious, but my experience and my wife's experience (she is a third year resident) would indicate otherwise.

Reactions: 2 users
Only one way to find out. Match rates are only so useful though. YOU are what determines if you match. If you bust your hump in school, crush your boards, and work your tail off on rotations, you will match anyplace you want.
Stats matter. A lot. But nothing matters more than your audition rotations. Rotations can make you or break you. You better believe that people notice what you do.
You don't have to know everything. What matters even more is what you do when you DON'T know something. When they ask you to look it up, do it. Do it that night and get a good answer. Nothing is worse than being useless AND lazy. It seems obvious, but my experience and my wife's experience (she is a third year resident) would indicate otherwise.
I have to agree with you. As long as you do well on boards and in school and during rotation, you'll get into a good program. Med schools follow the same type of schedule cause boards are so standardized. So though things are different at different schools, you're getting the same core education.

We take about 24 credits per trimester, except for the 3rd one (more like 14 plus credits for electives) for the first year. The first trimester is 4 months and the second and third are 3 months. OMM and patient-centered medicine span the full length of the trimester, while other (much MUCH MORE intense) classes are 4-6 weeks long. These other classes are the anatomy/physiology classes based on system. We learn OMM based on the system we are going over in A&P, and same with our PCM class. Its actually really neat how they tie it all together that way. In the A&P courses, they also give us pathology and pharmacology for that particular system. The pharm is light right now and we will hit it hard next year, but Im glad we get more experience with it before we just dive in. We also have standardized patients based on systems (I could be wrong but I believe we are doing an SP with each A&P now also). This lets us get more clinical experience too. I don't know....I personally love the curriculum. Many 3rd year students have minimal experience with clinical stuff but thats not the case here. They teach everything in a way that ties it all together so that you aren't scatter-brained all the time. Not saying its not hard, because those 4-6 week classes are very intense and take up most of our time. But I am saying that they have simplified the learning process (not watering it down, just doing it smarter). Our profs are great and all have a sense of humor. They make it fun :)

Good luck to those of you who have applied! Regardless of what people say on here (because the only ones with negative things to say have never actually visited the school), students here are generally happy. I mean, you're studying a ton but between classes and in your spare time, there is lots to do and the faculty is very friendly/approachable. There are minimal hiccups for being a first class, and we are paving the way for the class of 2019! We have already established a bunch of local chapters of national organizations and we are getting our name out there in the community! You'll love it here.
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your answer!

So you do you have anatomy then every trimester? Just focusing in on what system your learning that trimester?
And is biochem completed by the end of the first trimester?

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your answer!

So you do you have anatomy then every trimester? Just focusing in on what system your learning that trimester?
And is biochem completed by the end of the first trimester?

Thanks
Yes for the whole first year, we have anatomy and physiology of the organ system. Biochem is kind of mixed in with the physiology but basic biochem stuff is gone over in the first trimester.

That part was scary for me too as a first year student here, but the dean of our school also helped start 2 other medical schools and one of them was RVUCOM which has the highest first pass rate of any DO school in the states. He was also on the accreditation board. If this were a new school with brand new teachers and a new dean, it would be different. But the dean has SO much experience and so do all of the professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
That part was scary for me too as a first year student here, but the dean of our school also helped start 2 other medical schools and one of them was RVUCOM which has the highest first pass rate of any DO school in the states. He was also on the accreditation board. If this were a new school with brand new teachers and a new dean, it would be different. But the dean has SO much experience and so do all of the professors.
To reiterate what was said, this does not appear to be the dean's first rodeo. I'm not particularly worried about the success of the graduates. I think this school will do just fine.

I flew directly into Lynchburg. If you want interview advice, PM me.

As for hotels, take your pick. I went with super 8
How did you get to the medical school from the hotel? did you call a cab?

How did you get to the medical school from the hotel? did you call a cab?
If you feel like walking, you can just about walk it. I rented a car. It was less than 5 minutes from my hotel. Just explore a bit the night before. It's not hard to find, but there is pretty poor signage.

If you feel like walking, you can just about walk it. I rented a car. It was less than 5 minutes from my hotel. Just explore a bit the night before. It's not hard to find, but there is pretty poor signage.
yeah im only 22 so i cant rent a car yet, so ill probably just walk then to clear my mind before anyway. Thanks!

yeah im only 22 so i cant rent a car yet, so ill probably just walk then to clear my mind before anyway. Thanks!
It's up a pretty big mountain. I was partially kidding. But you COULD walk it. I think they may have a shuttle, but worst case, just call a cab. It won't be expensive. It'll be less than 2 miles from just about anywhere.

That mountain is pretty steep lol. you'll clear your mind and sweat through your suit lol. The road is narrow up the mountain too with lots of curves so I wouldn't consider it "safe" to walk. If you need a ride I could give you one. You must be staying at the wingate? You could also grab a cab, just make sure to tell them its on liberty view lane and not on the main campus

I am also 22 and you can def rent a car with a daily fee for being underage. I rented with National

One of the FEW perks of being older is not paying that stupid fee anymore.

Hello everyone. I just got verified from AACOMAS last week. I know I am really late in the cycle. I was planning to apply in the next cycle, but I changed my mind to give it a shot at Liberty. Do you guys know how long it takes to receive the secondary application once AACOMAS sends my primary to Liberty? Also, once you submitted your secondary, how long did it take to receive the interview invite? Thanks everyone!

Hello everyone. I just got verified from AACOMAS last week. I know I am really late in the cycle. I was planning to apply in the next cycle, but I changed my mind to give it a shot at Liberty. Do you guys know how long it takes to receive the secondary application once AACOMAS sends my primary to Liberty? Also, once you submitted your secondary, how long did it take to receive the interview invite? Thanks everyone!
It took a couple weeks to get the secondary I think. Once I put in the secondary I got an ii a week later.

It took a couple weeks to get the secondary I think. Once I put in the secondary I got an ii a week later.

Oh wow. I didn't know it takes that long to receive the secondary. Was there an essay to write for the secondary? If so, can you tell me what the question is, so I can start working on it? Thanks and congratulations on your interview invite =).

Oh wow. I didn't know it takes that long to receive the secondary. Was there an essay to write for the secondary? If so, can you tell me what the question is, so I can start working on it? Thanks and congratulations on your interview invite =).
Thanks Man. There's one question. What is your philosophy of medicine and how do you feel can advance the mission of liberty COM. The secondary could of came quicker. I don't remember. Good luck

I know this is an odd question. Is anyone on here Mormon that applied to this school?

I'm a Latter-Day Saint myself and I applied, interviewed, and was accepted :). I know of at least one other church member who will be attending in the fall, too! The chapel is a couple miles from campus (you can actually see the med school from the chapel! haha) and the people of the ward are super nice (there are technically 3 wards but if you live near liberty I believe you fall into the 3rd ward).

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I applied to LUCOM just today b/c of application reasons (schools I applied to do not accept Canadians).
Stats: GPA - 3.91 / MCAT - 29 (11/7/11) CANADIAN

Any chance this late?

Hi guys,

I applied to LUCOM just today b/c of application reasons (schools I applied to do not accept Canadians).
Stats: GPA - 3.91 / MCAT - 29 (11/7/11) CANADIAN

Any chance this late?
There's still a chance. You have good stats and if you have shown you like to serve others , you should be good. Never hurts to try my friend.

Good luck. I'm one of the people that truly believes that MCAT isn't as big a deal as it is made out to be. It is A test. ONE test. And it doesn't really have anything to do with actual practice.

Personally, I think the MCAT is nothing more than a weed out tool that people use for superiority complexes.

Posted this in the wrong thread. Oops.

Last edited:
Good luck. I'm one of the people that truly believes that MCAT isn't as big a deal as it is made out to be. It is A test. ONE test. And it doesn't really have anything to do with actual practice.

Personally, I think the MCAT is nothing more than a weed out tool that people use for superiority complexes.
Thanks for the support!!

Has anybody been accepted off the waitlist yet? I know it has only been a month since I have been on it, but trying to stay positive. :nod:

Has anybody been accepted off the waitlist yet? I know it has only been a month since I have been on it, but trying to stay positive. :nod:
Do you know if the class is full and now they are just offering wait list? Or if there are two separate lists?

Separate lists???
I know at Campbell they have filled their seats and are only giving the option of wait listed or rejected. They anticipate a lot of movement on their waiting list as people accept from other schools. I was curious if Liberty operated on the traditional 2 list system, or if they were like Campbell.

Campbell is full? Bleh. They wanted to see my grades, and by the time they get them, it's too late. I don't feel like flying for a wait list spot.

Thank goodness I have one in the bank. And if all goes well, I'll have two to pick from.

Campbell is full? Bleh. They wanted to see my grades, and by the time they get them, it's too late. I don't feel like flying for a wait list spot.

Thank goodness I have one in the bank. And if all goes well, I'll have two to pick from.
They aren't full! They accept 50-80 off the wait list.

Hello everyone! :) I have an ii on 1/26 and will be flying into the area early. I was wondering if any other interviewees or current students would be interested in grabbing lunch or dinner on Sunday? Let me know!

Is anyone interviewing 2/9 that could switch with me to 2/6!!??!!!!!!!

So I checked my application status on mylu and it say "PV Pending Interview"...
Any idea what this means?

Edit: Nvm, Barry emailed me for an interview invite!!!