Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If that happen to you I'm sorry. But I know overbooked because they felt from previous schools that more would turn down acceptances. Sometimes that happens and I'm sure liberty is not the first. Sure if that happen they were offered into the next class.
Why would that matter? If people that had those higher stats applied, it still means that people with higher stats applied and were accepted. I've looked into the stats of the school I am accepting a position in. They have similar stats to LUCOM. I truly had a difficult time deciding between the two schools.

So does that mean that they'll be graduating inferior physicians? Or perhaps because the average MCAT is lower for osteopaths, perhaps osteopaths are inferior.

Or maybe you're stuck on a 20 year old paper that says that MCAT predicts board scores. Because CLEARLY, that is all there is to being a physician. Scores and nothing else.
Ok

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And yet for all your hate on this school, in four years, you will still be calling the people who matriculate this year "doctor." At the end of the day, that probably matters more than most anything else.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I just wanted to make a correction to a post I made earlier. I just found out today that we actually do have textbooks online for free when you log into the LUCOM library. I don't know if its all of them but it sure looked like most of them. Just thought Id pass that along :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call from Dr. Martin. I was accepted!! Truly grateful to LUCOM for taking a chance on me.

Hoping for the best for everyone else who is waiting to hear.

Hey! Congrats! I got a call of acceptance the same day!:) I was just wondering if you have already received the info they said they would send us via email and mail already because I haven't received anything since the phone call so I was just curious.

Can anyone comment on what the interview day was like? I just got an II
The interview is great. They explain the school really well to you and have an opportunity to see the school and meet the faculty and current students. I have to say you can tell that they care and want the best for the school and for you. I would say go. It's a great place.

Hey! Congrats! I got a call of acceptance the same day!:) I was just wondering if you have already received the info they said they would send us via email and mail already because I haven't received anything since the phone call so I was just curious.
Check your LUCOM e-mail. I got something from them there with all the info I needed. Just so you know we get 2 weeks from the day we were called to put down the deposit to secure our spot.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I'm sure this incoming class is going to be full of great people who care about each other.
And good luck to everyone on the wait list! I've been put on the list too but decided to withdraw, so I hope my spot goes out to one of you guys!

Anyone else anxiously awaiting a phone call today!!!

Did anyone that interviewed these last two weeks hear anything back yet?

We should get calls today from our interviews on 2/6!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought as well. We interviewed 1/30 and they had said we would hear back this last Friday, but everything must have been delayed. Did they send you an email stating that you would hear back this coming Friday?

That's what I thought as well. We interviewed 1/30 and they had said we would hear back this last Friday, but everything must have been delayed. Did they send you an email stating that you would hear back this coming Friday?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424109943.068730.jpg

It sounds to me like those that were reviewed on Friday will be called today or so, while those that were not will be reviewed at their next meeting and then notified after (Friday of this week or early next week). So if you did not receive the email you were probably reviewed.

Also, Liberty itself is closing for today (not 100% sure if that includes LUCOM) due to 6-10 inches of snow from that huge storm. I suspect few calls if any would be going out today :/

It sounds to me like those that were reviewed on Friday will be called today or so, while those that were not will be reviewed at their next meeting and then notified after (Friday of this week or early next week). So if you did not receive the email you were probably reviewed.
I am not sure they will call today, the LU website says they're closed today due to the weather, I don't know if this also applies to the medical school...

Tuesdays interviews are now pushed till noon guys.
Man, I was driving from Richmond, VA to Lynchburg and I thought to myself that this snow thing wasn't that bad for the first hour (I'm from chilly Canada!). But then the last hour of driving was CRAZY stuff as I was only going 35 miles/hr on the HIGHWAY and I could barely see the car in front of me. Make sure you drive carefully (ample space between drivers and slow down) as I almost got into a collision stopping at a stop sign too late and I've witnessed 2 collisions on my drive to Lynchburg.

Hey everyone,

To those who got interviews and acceptances already, congrats!

Question: to those who got interviews and acceptances, what was your GPA both science and cumulative and mcat score?

Looking at liberty and would really want to be competative

Hey everyone,

Question: to those who got interviews and acceptances, what was your GPA both science and cumulative and mcat score?

Had an interview a few weeks ago, but haven't heard anything yet.

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.80
Mcat: 29

Hopefully I hear back sometime this week. I hate waiting haha.

Hey everyone,

Hey to be honest I got the impression from them that of course they want students who can succeed in medical school . They want people who care for other people and have shown that thru service! You fit those things they will want you around.

I just saw this: "Due to inclement weather, Liberty University closed at 11:30 AM Monday, February 16 and will remain closed through the end of Tuesday, February 17."

Again, not sure if it applies to LUCOM.

Rejected via snail mail today after interviewing on Jan 26. My cGPA was 3.4 but my MCAT was 31 so they probably thought I would get other offers (which I did). One important thing to note is that Mr. Cook told us that he doesn't have to fill 150 seats- LUCOM might be very picky about whom they accept.

Rejected via snail mail today after interviewing on Jan 26. My cGPA was 3.4 but my MCAT was 31 so they probably thought I would get other offers (which I did). One important thing to note is that Mr. Cook told us that he doesn't have to fill 150 seats- LUCOM might be very picky about whom they accept.
Sorry about that. How was your interview day? Did you feel like you were aligned well with their mission? Curious because our stats are similar and I have yet to hear anything.

Sorry about that. How was your interview day? Did you feel like you were aligned well with their mission? Curious because our stats are similar and I have yet to hear anything.
Yeah well I think my extracurriculars were weak if my research (I wrote a master's thesis in neuropharmacology research) wasn't valued. I guess I didn't fit their mission. My volunteer work is below average (about 250 hours total but most of this was done about 10 years ago). They did emphasize during interview day that while they are trying to develop research opportunities they won't ever become a hard-core research DO school.

Has anyone who was supposed to receive a call starting on Friday (2/13) heard anything yet other than the email that LadiiKay received?

Last edited:
Has anyone who was supposed to receive a call starting on Friday (2/13) heard anything yet other than the email that LadiiKay received? My heart has been jumping at every phone call for the last few days, lol
I did't get an email, I received a call on Feb 2 saying they did not get to review all the apps and it would be 2 weeks more...I'm at work and literally if my phone rings I rip my gloves off and like freak out trying to answer it lol

Has anyone who was supposed to receive a call starting on Friday (2/13) heard anything yet other than the email that LadiiKay received? My heart has been jumping at every phone call for the last few days, lol
I was supposed to hear something on Monday and haven't heard anything , but it has to do with snow storm and what not I would gaurentee !

So they didnt call?

Still nothing here, I wont stress cause of prior posts.

So they didnt call?
Oh yeah they called back on Feb 2. In fact I was returning from my Touro COM-Middletown interview when they called! It was a quick turnaround so I think admissions met at the end of Jan to decide on January interviewees. I interviewed on Jan 26.

I interviewed at this school two weeks ago and have some things I feel need to get off my chest that may benefit you guys in your decision for a med school:

1) Firstly, this school's facility is top notch with everything practically new. If you are the type of student who wants all the fancy bells and whistles of a new facility then this school will put a smile on your face during your tour of the med school. The school has that "fresh off the press" smell and feel to it...

2) If you are an atheist (I am one, but I don't condemn others who don't believe in my views), then DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL. I felt like the student body, faculty and, in general, the people who live in Lynchburg are religious to the point where if you are an atheist then you would feel secluded and isolated. Christianity is the life blood of this school and expect your value system, if you are not religious, to be in direct conflict with pretty much every aspect of the school's mission and purpose. I thought coming into the school that I would be treated like everyone else, but I guess religion does in fact have a separating effect on groups of individuals and from the dean, only 5 students in total (in the whole med school) are atheist and that type of divide among students will take a toll on your freedom to say what you want to say.

3) The school is practically new, but that is where the problem lies.
- Semester/trimester changes occurred during the first inaugural class. Do not be a guinea pig until Liberty graduates its first set of students.
- The library is practically empty and so are a bunch of other rooms that are not complete. This is not good!
- The staff will push to sell this school to you knowing that the school is new. The faculty are supposedly, "top notch", as described by the admission staff but from first year students I've talked to they mentioned how the faculty are still working/organizing their lecture prep on the go, and many do not like some faculty members' lecture style as it has not been to previous tailored to them. Take my word with a grain of salt though...
- Obviously, research will be a problem at a new school, but also because the school is a Christian school and from the vibe I got from the admissions counselor who was doing the tours the school is NOT a legit research institution. Expect to become a primary care doctor and that is it.

Still nothing here, I wont stress cause of prior posts.
I emailed them, they said the snow delayed everything including the phone calls of decisions from the Dean...couldn't give a time frame except to say fairly soon!

I interviewed at this school two weeks ago and have some things I feel need to get off my chest that may benefit you guys in your decision for a med school:

1) Firstly, this school's facility is top notch with everything practically new. If you are the type of student who wants all the fancy bells and whistles of a new facility then this school will put a smile on your face during your tour of the med school. The school has that "fresh off the press" smell and feel to it...

2) If you are an atheist (I am one, but I don't condemn others who don't believe in my views), then DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL. I felt like the student body, faculty and, in general, the people who live in Lynchburg are religious to the point where if you are an atheist then you would feel secluded and isolated. Christianity is the life blood of this school and expect your value system, if you are not religious, to be in direct conflict with pretty much every aspect of the school's mission and purpose. I thought coming into the school that I would be treated like everyone else, but I guess religion does in fact have a separating effect on groups of individuals and from the dean, only 5 students in total (in the whole med school) are atheist and that type of divide among students will take a toll on your freedom to say what you want to say.

- Semester/trimester changes occurred during the first inaugural class. Do not be a guinea pig until Liberty graduates its first set of students.
- The library is practically empty and so are a bunch of other rooms that are not complete. This is not good!
- The staff will push to sell this school to you knowing that the school is new. The faculty are supposedly, "top notch", as described by the admission staff but from first year students I've talked to they mentioned how the faculty are still working/organizing their lecture prep on the go, and many do not like some faculty members' lecture style as it has not been to previous tailored to them. Take my word with a grain of salt though...
- Obviously, research will be a problem at a new school, but also because the school is a Christian school and from the vibe I got from the admissions counselor who was doing the tours the school is NOT a legit research institution. Expect to become a primary care doctor and that is it.
What does it mean that because the school is Christian it wouldn't be a "legit research institution" ...I work at Albert Einstein COM which is Jewish, part of Yeshiva University, and I would say we are pretty legit (they don't have cheese on sandwiches or salads, and you can't bring outside food into to the cafeteria building, which is annoying..). In any case, research isn't really important to medical school education because if you want to be trained as a researcher/physician scientist it doesn't happen at med school.
Most DO schools (and some MD) are upfront about their mission to promote primary care docs, doesn't mean you'll be excluded from other specialities, dependent obviously on board scores/electives etc. I shadowed a a DO head of research in the ED, a DO radiologist, my friend is an Endocrinology resident etc...
I am not religious and I didn't feel anything you felt at the interview, also being that values found in Christianity not only formed the basis of medicine but all of modern society...not sure how it would create a great divide among people being trained as physicians. I would strongly advise against anyone not applying because they are atheist/whatever they may be because its not really relevant. Unless you're the type of person who would say IF YOURE ATHEIST DO NOT APPLY. Then definitely don't apply.
True the school is new but not much to be done about that concern.

Hello!

Sorry you had a negative experience. No one school is perfect for everyone that applies. I'll try to respond to a few of your points. First, the 5 out of 160 being athiest surprises me. I know just about all of my classmates and I'd say it's definitely more like 50/50. I'm not just saying that, I'm being honest. About atheists feeling like the odd man out: I've actually asked several atheists in my class about how they feel about the school, and most of them feel like they fit in perfectly. We just had a meeting with the accreditation board and that was one of the questions they asked. The non-christians in the class only said positive things. All of that being said, you may feel a little out of place in the same sense that I did when I went to a secular undergrad. My profs didn't have the same beliefs as I did, but it did not affect my learning. Id like to think you would have a similar experience in that yes, the beliefs differ but it doesn't affect your learning. Second, yes we are switching to semester from trimester, but truthfully it doesn't make a difference. The only thing that will change is we will have one more final exam in both OMM and PCM, but less information will be on each test so I'm not sure that's very significant. Third, the library was empty?? We must have been in class. Incomplete rooms include just the research lab that's opening this spring. The 2nd year OMM lab is complete, just used it today. Fourth, our faculty left tenured positions from excellent med schools across the country. You should be able to find their bios on the website. They are more than qualified. And no, not every professor teaches the way you as an individual learns best. They teach for the majority. That will happen everywhere you go. However, each prof bends over backwards to meet with us, hold review sessions on Saturdays, etc. I don't know bc I haven't attended another med school, but they sure seem to care about our success as individuals and as a school. Fifth, no we aren't a legit research institution. But we will be this spring! In fact, they are holding a seminar about it tonight.

Hope this helps, but you're right, not every school is perfect for every person.

Less than 2% of the US population describes themselves as Atheist (source: http://religions.pewforum.org/reports) and you are questioning that out of 162 students only 5 or 3.08% of the student body is atheist? Seems like you all are overrepresented there, and will be uncomfortable in all settings as you will be the overwhelming minority at any place.

I don't want to downplay all your post because its clear you weren't comfortable with the program, but I think that most service oriented individuals will be comfortable. If you aren't comfortable around Chrisitans then I suspect you will be uncomfortable in many (read: most) hospitals as a majority are faith based. Maybe the bench would be a better environment than interacting with patients.

The research almost certainly won't be as strong at a new school. But that is more individual than institutional driven in my opinion, and they give you a six-week 'elective' at the end of the first year in which you could pursue that more vigorously.

I have to give you props for voicing your opinion of dissension. Many wouldn't do that. And I agree your post might be helpful to others who might be thinking like you do. And I think you weren't rude either, so I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Honestly, it probably had less to do with your stats and "the expectation that you would get other offers" and probably had a lot more to do with your interview. Stats really aren't the only thing that matters. You may not have interviewed poorly, but they still may not have felt that you were a good fit. They interviewed you because you were acceptable on paper, but in person, it just didn't work for them.

As for getting rejected for stats, I would say that is unlikely. Admittedly, my undergrad GPA was weak (3.0) but I have a PharmD with a 3.7 GPA and I'm working on a masters, and at the time of interview I had a 4.0. I also had a 33 (11/11/11) MCAT.

People really tend to undervalue the interview, but it's super crucial. I know for a FACT that when I interviewed at LECOM for pharmacy, the reason I got wait listed was my interview. I was AWFUL. I didn't just get wait listed, but I got put at the BOTTOM of the wait list. Stat wise, I was more than competitive. My GPA wasn't as big a deal for pharmacy, and my PCAT was 97 (it's a percentile score with 99 being the top)

Again, I'm not saying you necessarily interviewed poorly, but for whatever reason, they just didn't think you fit. They seem to have a pretty narrow picture of what they're looking for. At least you do have other offers, and that's what matters. Celebrate what you can.

When do you think we will hear about decisions??????? I know the school was closed last week. I really wanna know!

When do you think we will hear about decisions??????? I know the school was closed last week. I really wanna know!
You saw my post that I emailed them right? I wish they would just let us know...I can't focus at work :(

I'm planning on applying here next cycle. I just took the MCAT and was very disappointed with my score. I made a 22 (7P/7V/8B) and I have a 3.9 GPA. I don't have the money to retake the exam. Do I still have a shot here? I have great EC'S and lots clinical experience...what are your thoughts?

I'm planning on applying here next cycle. I just took the MCAT and was very disappointed with my score. I made a 22 (7P/7V/8B) and I have a 3.9 GPA. I don't have the money to retake the exam. Do I still have a shot here? I have great EC'S and lots clinical experience...what are your thoughts?
Borrow the money and take it again...don't use money as an excuse. ...med school will cost you 320k so I'm sure you can find someway to pay for a new mcat. .. this is coming from a guy who had the same numbers here at lucom

Reactions: 4 users
I agree that you should retake it, even if you have to put it on a credit card. Take time to study for it, take practice tests through Kaplan to make sure you're ready. If your future career rests on the $300 it costs to retake the test, it's worth it. with that GPA id think if you got a 24+ you should be well off. I had to retake the MCAT too. The WORST! But I wouldn't be here if I hadnt.

Wonder how the students are getting up that hill with all the ice and snow

anyone heard back from January 20th interviews? I got a call like 3 weeks ago stating I will receive my decision in 2 weeks(apparently they were running behind).. nothing still silent rejection?